Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th September 2008, 02:34 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Smile ANY OTHER KIWIS HERE?

I wonder if there are any other Kiwi members of this Forum? Would be interested to contact any others for sharing of collecting interests.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 03:22 AM   #2
ausjulius

well i dont know if i count,, i was born in dargaville........ and lived there till i was 8.......
actualy i was born in the avoca valley,, but dargaville was the closest town i guess..
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 05:59 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Thumbs up Absolutely

Born a Kiwi always a Kiwi! What moved you to that part of the world?
Old 20th September 2008, 08:03 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

DO ANY OF YOU KIWIS COLLECT MAORI WEAPONS ? I AM ESPECIALLY FOND OF THEM AND ALSO LIKE THEIR EXCELLENT WOOD CARVINGS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 11:20 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Smile KIAORA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
DO ANY OF YOU KIWIS COLLECT MAORI WEAPONS ? I AM ESPECIALLY FOND OF THEM AND ALSO LIKE THEIR EXCELLENT WOOD CARVINGS.
As you will probably be aware, our local "brothers" have become VERY possessive of their tribal culture, and most GENUINE items have been "repossessed". There are of course lots in the various museums.
Also there are collectors of these, but due to stringent laws relating to sale, particularly to overseas, most have put this in the "Too hard" basket. They do turn up in auctions from time to time, but are much sort after, so prices tend to be high. There are some VERY GOOD tourist type examples available at reasonable prices which of course can be exported without trouble.
Our local museum has (or had last time I was there) an excellent display of Maori items and culture, and if you particularly want, I can take a few pics for you when I get some time.
Regards Stu
Old 21st September 2008, 12:14 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

SOME PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT PERHAPS A POST ON THE MAORI OR MUSEUM WOULD BE OF INTREST TO SOME OTHER FORUM MEMBERS ALSO. THANKS STU

THE CLAIMING OF TRIBAL ITEMS SEEMS TO BE GOING AROUND, HERE IN THE STATES SOME MUSEUMS HAVE HAD SOME PROBLEMS. PERHAPS WHEN IT GETS TO THE CELTS AND PICTS I TOO CAN REPOSES SOME NICE ARTEFACTS FROM COLLECTORS AND MUSEUMS.
I VISITED KIWI LAND IN 1978 AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH IT. I TOOK IN A LOT OF THE SIGHTS ON THE NORTH AND SOUTH ISLANDS BUT MISSED THE MUSEUM IN CHRISTSCHURCH DIDN'T MAKE IT TO DUNIDIN EITHER JUST MT.COOK, TEANAU AND QUEENSTOWN ON THE SOUTH ISLAND. I SAW THE MUSEUM IN AUKLAND AND THEY HAVE A VERY IMPRESSIVE MAORI AND OCEANIC COLLECTION.
IF THE LOCAL MUSEUM HAS PUT OUT ANY BOOKS ON THEIR COLLECTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO CONTACT THEM AND BUY A COPY. PERHAPS I WILL GET A CHANCE TO VISIT AGAIN SOME DAY IF SO I WILL TRY TO DROP BY YOUR TOWN AND BUY YOU ONE OF THE DELICOUS LOCAL DARK BEERS "MY FAVORITE!".
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 12:58 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Smile Will keep you posted.

OK Give me a bit of time and I will see what has been published re their collections, and will post some pics when I have been there. Will also check out one of our better book stores and see if there is anything good in the way of books etc.
Regards Stu
Old 21st September 2008, 07:45 PM   #8
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A Kiwi story

Hi Stu,
Speaking of Kiwis, something has just come to my memory.
I reside in a country which is antypodal to New Zealand; in a small seaside town, of 20 000 inhabitants.
Can you beleive that one day, back in the sixties, a yacht landed in our little harbour, and two girls came ashore, having decided to stay around for a couple days; actually they were hitch-hikers who had taken a ride in that yacht.
They home town was Auckland.
I came to find out that one of the girls, eventualy blonde haired, had a Maori mother.
End of story .
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 09:13 PM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Default Little NZ

I may as well live in NZ, I understand there are 80000 of you around here, Brisbane, Australia.

Sweet as bro

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 04:41 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Default YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
I may as well live in NZ, I understand there are 80000 of you around here, Brisbane, Australia.

Sweet as bro

Gav
Choice Bro! Right first time, and most I think are probably those "local brothers" mentioned earlier! I would think if our Election in November goes the wrong way, you will have a lot more than 80,000, so stand by to repel boarders!
Old 26th September 2008, 11:53 PM   #11
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Born a Kiwi always a Kiwi! What moved you to that part of the world?
haha , oh you mean to dagestant, i when there to work in a knife factory.. www.kizlyar.ru .........

i lived in australia most of my life actualy.. realy i should update my profile , i have recently this year moved to canada..

ah alas i miss new zealand..
good climate, good food. lovely landscape.. , hunting fishing , ect ect. and ,, just the best place in the world..
Old 27th September 2008, 12:13 AM   #12
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Choice Bro! Right first time, and most I think are probably those "local brothers" mentioned earlier! I would think if our Election in November goes the wrong way, you will have a lot more than 80,000, so stand by to repel boarders!
hahah come on,, the maoris are ok,, some are a little prone to crime ,
the most are pretty decent,
anyway who the hell would shear all the sheep in australia and work in the slaughter houses if they all didnt come over and do it?? ,

actualy my father had several green stone mere and other maori weapons..
i beleve before he left new zealand for australia he gave most of them away , i think he gave the clubs/hatchets.. (seems the maori word translates more to be hatchet anyway) to a maori chap he new living around poto, think he traded him them for some sculptures...

a pity, i wouldnt have minded having them

i had at a time a damaged wooden patu,, chipped alot,, and also a nice condition maori fighting adze.. ( i would presume if was for fighting as it has a thin steel blade,, and the edge was sharpened on the outer side,, also it had a lanyard.. nicely carved handle) got it for 30$!!!. looked mid of the 19th century

also havd a chance to buy a moari axe,, was a english trade blade with a curved maori handle,, and a carved .22 rim fire rifle from the 19th centuary, have maori carving all over it was a winchester .22 short..
there was a a south east asian knife with maori carving with it as well proably a bringback from ww1 or ww2.. ,
guy waned something crazy like 200$ for the lot... !!.
:S,, well at the time i had other things i was chasing..
Old 27th September 2008, 12:14 AM   #13
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausjulius
haha , oh you mean to dagestant, i when there to work in a knife factory.. www.kizlyar.ru .........

i lived in australia most of my life actualy.. realy i should update my profile , i have recently this year moved to canada..

ah alas i miss new zealand..
good climate, good food. lovely landscape.. , hunting fishing , ect ect. and ,, just the best place in the world..

True, but now you have Poutine and Tim Horton's Ausjulius .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 01:31 AM   #14
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
True, but now you have Poutine and Tim Horton's Ausjulius .
. rather have fish and chips and a nice steak on a burger and some potato fritters :P... hehehe.. i recall the chipshop in mangawhare and bloody good chips and he had potato scollops aswell. ahhh new zealand hot chips are the best!.. i havent been back for so long, in australia the chip shops get less and less, mostly they get sold up to chinese then make the stuff for a while how australians like and then sell it aain for some other lot and it ends up selling a hodge podge of things,, but no more hot chips , just thoes soggy one sin the paper cups.. :S

oh id dagestan the did have "пиза ха!" it was a fake pizza hut,, the sold vodka and beer and such,, had some antique weapons on the wall.. marble floors!! ,, weird place, you could order buffalo meat or mountain goat on your pizza..

ah well fast food like mc donalds here is just too common.. alas.. must be more takeaway places than i can shake a stick at, :P
but i do like the range of ribs in the supermarket, in australia it is something you must ask the butcher for as they normaly not used in this way..

poutin is not bad but you need to eat it with a fork !

the food is better than in dagesan!!! :P

hinkal and boiled dough in dagestan ,, .. very meaty...... lots of ..... boiled meat,, boiled till its a greyish color.. and a bit of lambs tail and a cup of dripping to wash it down,,

ah but honestly. the food was not very .. special,
shahlik was good, but i dont think it is a meal traditionaly consumed as people dont normaly make it them selves other than when hunting,, i guess it originated further south .. azirbijan or turkey and the work is of turkic origin and the natives didnt have a native term in their own languages. ..

about hinkal.. ..........
once a russian general fighting in the caucascian was in the 19th centuary was in a meeting in a avar village in dagestan and ate hinkal as part of the show of loyalty by the natives toward him,, afterward he said
"hinkal is poison!!. but bullion is a antidote!" (bullion is the hot fat and juice from the boiling of the meat and dough)

actialy there is a dagestani table knife, or meat knife that was common upuntill russian stamped knives cam in 60 or so years ago.. they were very long and thin and sude for cutting off meat from the cooked animal or spearing hunks of meat..

il see if i can fins a foto of one , sometimes they are found in the back of the kindjal sheath along with a sharpening stone ,, and sometimes a awl, or a smaller knife..

it is interesting nearly all dagestani kindjals ive seen outside of dagestan were russianized or ultered in some way, normal the sheath lacked the tools at the back but traditioanl these were rather common , same with leather awls. also waxed wool sheath covers were common..

ah but anyway back to new zealand..

yes it is a pain with the laws about possessing maori weapons and such, but then remember these items are very sourght after and have been since the original time when they were used , during the maori wars large amounts of these items were traded and then sold in london and auctions , aswell as the sold heads.. so there was always a demand, and once they stopped being used that demand was ofcorse much higher than the amount there would be to be had.. and so,, if there was no law , there would be much less of these interesting items left in new zealand..

aspecialy considering that in all honesty the average maori dosnt hold any significance to these and would sell them off as any other would,, only rely is the chief cast who cling on to them.. as one would presume the should.

it is interesting that although canabalisim was very common particulary in the north island the human remains were never used in decorating weapons or costume as far as ive ever seen..

ive seen many south east asian weapons from head hunting peoples with human remains used in the as with melenesian weapons.. but never any maori weapons with an items of their victim attached..