Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2005, 05:06 PM   #1
George Armstrong Custer

Default Disappointed

Hi all,
I am disappointed to note the precipitate and unexplained closure of the thread which I started - and in the absense of any other explanation being offered, find myself in agreement with the observations of conogre and nachesh on the 'Closed Threads' thread (itself now closed in an almost Orwellian manner )

Tom - I'm sorry the 'elephant' thread was closed before I had a chance to respond to your interesting comments on the evolution of the kaskara. I would have liked to continue the flow of that thread by noting a description of the Mahdi's symbolic sword which was reckoned to have been a Crusading relic. Oh well...........

Ciao,
GAC
Old 8th May 2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Jeff D

Hi GAC,

I am in agreement with your disappointment, but, I suspect it is only temporary while the moderators discuss it. I will continue with the kaskara discussion when it reopens.

To the moderators, please advise if there is any policy change.

Jeff
Old 8th May 2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow GAC

First I must say that your opening post was the most graphic description ever posted in the history of this forum .

The follow up post that caused the thread to be closed was a set of links to graphic photos of horribly mutilated elephants .

Today , as you know is Mother's Day one of those days that occupies people's attention to other more familial matters .
We Moderators are actually people with Mothers , there will be more discussion about that closed thread , I promise .

Possibly a new thread discussing the origin and use of the Kaskara could be started .

Please PM me .
Old 8th May 2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Rivkin

Fugh, I'm sorry for voicing my concerns openly - I do belive that moderating a multi-national, history and art oriented forum does require a lot of restrictions to be imposed on the participants, but when it comes to gore:

I was moved by many gore images posted here, but at the same time I have to ask a question:

currently I sponsor (translation - offer a small prize money) a search for photographs of certain georgian semi-pagan warriors, famous for wearing armor that had human heads and other body parts attached to it (symbolizing how many victories the warrior had). The project received outstanding and enthusiastic support from modern descendants of these tribes (who obviously don't find this practise to be brutal or unusual), and I truly hope to eventually receive photographs of these warriors.

Could they be posted here ? Could they be discussed here ?

I do belive in the restrictions or it's better to say - fair warnings when it comes to gore, but was not 99% of weapon's history - blood, gore and death ?
Old 8th May 2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Please

Can we all just hold this thought please so that the entire staff can have time to discuss it.

Let's have the next post on this subject be an 'answer' to your questions rather than pursuing this any further for now .
Old 8th May 2005, 09:17 PM   #6
Andrew

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Armstrong Custer
Hi all,
I am disappointed to note the precipitate and unexplained closure of the thread which I started - and in the absense of any other explanation being offered, find myself in agreement with the observations of conogre and nachesh on the 'Closed Threads' thread (itself now closed in an almost Orwellian manner )

Tom - I'm sorry the 'elephant' thread was closed before I had a chance to respond to your interesting comments on the evolution of the kaskara. I would have liked to continue the flow of that thread by noting a description of the Mahdi's symbolic sword which was reckoned to have been a Crusading relic. Oh well...........

Ciao,
GAC
"Orwellian"? You can't be serious. Did you read my response on that thread before I closed it? Did you read the Rules thread located at the top of the forum?

Here's a relevant quote:

Quote:
8. VIKINGSWORD STAFF

The Vikingsword Staff is comprised of Site/Forum Administrators, Forum Moderators and Technical Advisors. Decisions made by Vikingsword Staff are not subject to public debate. Please utilize the board's Private Message function, or e-mail, if you wish to discuss a situation with a moderator.
No decision has been made about the topic of your Elephant thread. Nor has any prohibition against discussing such topics been articulated. As I indicated in Conogre's thread, there are many reasons why we lock threads. I was the one who locked your thread, and it had nothing at all to do with the subject matter. It is unlikely a thread will ever be closed around here due to subject matter. The fact that two staff members participated in that discussion prior to it being locked should have been conspicuous in this regard.

I now lock this thread as it violates the rule articulated in the quote above. If anyone has any questions or comments about this official action, feel free to PM or email me directly.
Closed Thread