Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th September 2006, 02:17 PM   #1
shangrila

Smile have to get one, need help

Hi all,

I have read some materials such as posts, books and mags about WOOTZ, and think that I really need one......for their beautiful patterns.

There are two blades from which I can choose one. Here need help to recognise each one's authenticity, age and so on. Any opinion is important for me.

Many Thanks.

the longer one

Last edited by shangrila; 8th September 2006 at 03:41 PM.
shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 02:18 PM   #2
shangrila

the longer one

Old 8th September 2006, 02:19 PM   #3
shangrila

the shorter one

Old 8th September 2006, 02:19 PM   #4
shangrila

the shorter one

By the way, can anyone give me some advice on prices? thanks again.

Last edited by shangrila; 8th September 2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 8th September 2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Ferguson

Well the shorter one is definitely wootz. The longer one, I don't see a pattern, but I'm no expert. It may take etching to bring it out. Forum rules prohibit discussions of price.

Welcome!

Steve Ferguson
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 03:50 PM   #6
shangrila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
Well the shorter one is definitely wootz. The longer one, I don't see a pattern, but I'm no expert. It may take etching to bring it out. Forum rules prohibit discussions of price.

Welcome!
Steve Ferguson, appreciate your inputs very much.
Old 8th September 2006, 05:13 PM   #7
ariel

I agree: the shorter one is wootz. Take it if your doctor made the diagnosis of "acute wootz deficiency"
As to the big one.. I like it too. If you are not taking it, tell the owner to contavct me: I am developing symptoms of "chronic tulwar failure"
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 07:35 PM   #8
ErnestoJuan

I agree with the gents above.

The shorter one is definitely wootz.

I would take the longer one for the beautiful hilt and the other for the blade
ErnestoJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Take them both ...

Hi shangrila:

It is always hard to provide opinions from pictures. However, with that caveat, the longer one looks much the finer sword to me even though the shorter one has a beautiful blade pattern. I think the longer one is also quite a bit older than the shorter one.

If the price for each of these is the same, the longer one would be my preference of the two. You can always find another wootz-bladed sword, but the longer one looks a more "special" sword (perhaps a firangi) to me and one I would be pleased to have in my collection.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 07:54 PM   #10
Rivkin

Can I ask a stupid generic question ? India borders Iran, but does not border Ottoman lands. While then we constantly see indian swords with yelmans, indian yataghans, but almost never see indian super-curved shamshirs ?
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 08:08 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

I also agree with the wootzers - however, the first one I think I do see a pattern in the first blade picture - more pattern welded than wootz.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 09:20 PM   #12
B.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkin
Can I ask a stupid generic question ? India borders Iran, but does not border Ottoman lands. While then we constantly see indian swords with yelmans, indian yataghans, but almost never see indian super-curved shamshirs ?
thats not a stupid question, just a slightly confusing one. what is a super-curved shamshir? there are many indian swords with persian blades, and many swords with indian blades, possibly made by persian artisans in india.
the ottoman empire's influence reached many areas, including india (through both moghul and especially the deccan, which was directly related to the ottoman royal family)
the persian influence is very apparant as well, so... still confused by the question :-)
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 10:37 PM   #13
katana

My vote.....as I'm in total agreement with Ian's comments....the larger...it's is really nice
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 03:26 AM   #14
shangrila

Smile

Dear Ferguson, ariel, ErnestoJuan, Ian, katana, Battara,

Gentlemen, Thank you for your kind instructions. The details of your analysis amaze me, and the enthusiasm in your words inspires me.

As a whole, I feel that the longer one is more 'popular' though I cann't yet confirm whether it's wootz or not. I guess the reason of its 'popular' in your posts is that all you guys have gotten wootz blades and are still chaseing more special ones. Am I right? I envy you all, indeed.

Ariel, as you said, I have the acute diagnosis. will send you message for further learning, thank you.

Ian, would you like to talk a little bit more about the longer one in your opinion? that would help more. And thank you very much for the advice on judgement of purchase.

Battara, you're always great while analyzing details, craftwork and technics. Do you think the longer one is wootz?

and

Rivkin, B.I,

Thank you both for bring new information and knowledge to me. I do be interested in sorts of cultures and history around WOOTZ.

This forum is amazing~~~~~~
Old 9th September 2006, 03:55 AM   #15
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi shangrila:

The reasons I like the longer one is that it seems to have cleaner lines and looks more like an old weapon that has seen a few campaigns. The blade, with its broad fuller and "solid" look, the elegant Moghul hilt with curved guard and silver koftgari, all strike me as a well constructed original weapon. The blade reminds me of some of the firangi blades of the 17th-18th C, but it could be Indian and it could be wootz. Just an old warrior in good shape and with lots of appeal for me.

The heavily patterned blade on the shorter one is pretty, but to me it looks gaudy. Just doesn't stir my juices like the longer one.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 07:02 AM   #16
The Double D

How about posting an OAL of the shorter one outside the scabbard?
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 09:02 PM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shangrila
Battara, you're always great while analyzing details, craftwork and technics. Do you think the longer one is wootz?
Thank you. You are very kind. Ok I don't get the length of these, so I'll do it this way:

The one with the silver koftgari work is pattern welded (not wootz) from what I can see and the one with a plainer hilt is wootz). Hope this helps clear some things.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote