Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th January 2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Smile new Fijian addition.

I bought this Fijian club as the price was very reasonable to my mind. Not the best of patina but is old, the latter part of the 19th century. When shown next to an early piece with a lug {not Uncommon} the depth of patina is not there. However when seen in a grouping it is non the less quite acceptable. At 1.330 kg a bone cruncher. I could not find a perfect match in any of my books just many different versions with similar features. Quality and styles will vary from the many Islands that make up Fiji, some will be more wealthy than others. That would apply to a Chiefs armoury and to the common mans production.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 06:51 PM   #2
kahnjar1

Looks as if you also have 3 "Asian" clubs which do not appear to have had a lot of use shown in the middle two pics
Seriously though that's a nice Fijian club.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 07:18 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Cool

A NICE FIJI CLUB. THE CLUB CLOSEST TO YOURS IN CLUNIE'S BOOK IS ON FIG. 3 CLUB E. IT IS A MIX OF TYPES AND HE GIVES IT NO SPECIFIC NAME BUT IT IS CLOSEST TO THE GATA CLUB FORM. THOUGH FIJI CLUBS DO OCCUR WITH THE LUG AT THE BUTT TO ATTACH A CORD IT IS NOT VERY COMMON, THERE ARE ONLY TWO SHORT POLE CLUBS WITH A LUG IN CLUNIE'S BOOK ONE IN FIG 11, ITEM F AND ANOTHER IN FIG. 18.
I ASSOCIATE THE PRESENCE OF THE LUG WITH TONGAN INFLUENCE IT IS COMMON ON TONGA AND SAMOA CLUBS. THE FORMS OF CLUBS SURELY OVERLAP THRU-OUT POLYNESIA DUE TO TRAVEL AND SETTLING OF THE ISLANDS BY DIFFERENT WAVES OVER A LONG PERIOD SO MANY VARIATIONS ARE POSSIBLE. YOU HAVE SOME OTHER NICE OCEANIC CLUBS AS WELL ONE IS AN INTERESTING MIX AS IT LOOKS LIKE SOLOMON ISLANDS/ MASSIM FORM.
TOO BAD YOU NO LONGER HAVE A SIX PACK OF THOSE OTHER CLUBS BUT I AM SURE THEY WERE ENJOYED WHILE THEY LASTED.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote