Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th November 2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Martin Lubojacky

Default sabaghan ? - please comment/ID

The length is 76. 6 cms, without sheath 73. 5 cms, blade 59 cms. Width of the blade is 3 cms (yelman 3. 5 cms), max thickness is 7 mms. I do not know too much about yathagans and I would be interested in any info (provenance, if such combination was common, etc.). The sheath (if not original) is old.Thanks
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi Martin,
Unusual combination and I would speculate that perhaps the blade is older and may have belonged initially to a Kilic type weapon. I do like it especially the blade, one intended for use and not for merely 'stepping out'. Hope we can get more info from some of the more knowledgeable Forumites.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 04:12 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree. As I mentioned in the other thread looks like a Balkan hilt with a kilij blade.

Never seen that before.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Thank you Noman and Battara. As far as the handle is concerned - for me (maybe wrongly) "Balkan" is relatively big region which includes territory from the northern Rumania (and maybe even Besarabia) and Alps foothils down to the Medditerranian Greek isles. Was this hilt used throughout all this territories or was more specific for some of them ? Is the material bone ?
Old 26th November 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
TVV

Big walrus ivory eared hilts are attributed to Bosna and the Western Balkans. I am not sure the blade was taken from a kildj/pala. To me it looks much more like a nimcha blade, as in nimcha meaning a half sword. My guess would be that someone wanted a yataghan hilted cutlass, possibly for naval use.
Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 04:00 AM   #6
TVV

Martin,
I was able to find a similar example in the yataghan catalogue of the Zagreb Museum: I am posting a quick photo of the relevant page. You can probably understand most of the description in Croatian: it really does not provide any interesting info.
Regards,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Thank you again, Teodor. I really and without any problem understood the written text (till now I thought Czechs can without learning only understand Slovak and Polish languages). Itīs a little surpise for me, as I have never read Croatian. A few letters at the end of the sentence are not readeble, but I think the item in the catalogue was bought in Zaghreb. My sabre/yathagan was bought in Prague during the crisis in former Yugoslavia, I pressupose somebody from Croatia brought it here (BTW - Czechs are recognized minority in Croatia, they moved after the Treaty of Karlowitz/1699/, when Habsburgs partially defeated Turks and colonized Slavonia region - "googling" is interesting some tomes...)
Regards,
Martin