Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th August 2012, 02:31 AM   #1
MrLyon101

Question moro kris update

Ok guys been working a while on this now. ive still got a little bit of deep rust but veey afrqid it might get rid of the etching on the twist core. i noticed i only put one side of blade on here so here is orher side. yes it is cracked on the twist core. from what my grandfather has told me his father actually used it in battle and it came from that. is that a good possibility? looks like it got struck in that area. but i also got all rust off the spear. here are a couple close-ups on that. i myself cant see a twistcore yet. and ps. getting a family members journal or copy there of is almost impossible with the state of ks. but keep trying. what do people think so far on the blades?
Attached Images

MrLyon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Those are forging flaws that seem to have failed and delaminated .
Most likely from being under stress .

I think these pictures tell us a lot about construction of some twist core blades .

The spear is nice but has no twisted core .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 03:41 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

W W!

I agree with Rick. Did not know that the damage was that significant. Still I think an etch on both of them would reveal the laminations better.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 07:42 AM   #4
G. McCormack

even if the welds were weak, the only thing I can think of to cause that sort of failure would be a severe bend and subsequent straightening with bending and hammering. Pretty interesting.
G. McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 07:55 AM   #5
MrLyon101

I used a laq. Natural jute thread to rewrap the handle. i dont know if there are any certain styles of braiding i could do. any thoughts would help
Attached Images

Old 13th December 2012, 07:04 AM   #6
MrLyon101

Default information found

So this moro kris belonged to my great grand father. took a while but found out alot of informarion. he joined the us military in 1903 and eventually became part of Troop "K" 14th calvary. He was then stationed at Malabong in Jolo where he faced 105 field days on patrol.he faught at Cotta Pang Pang from what i gather from the diary. does anyone know any more information about this group of individuals?. this is probly the region where the kris and budiak were from.
Attached Images

Old 13th December 2012, 02:18 PM   #7
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. McCormack
even if the welds were weak, the only thing I can think of to cause that sort of failure would be a severe bend and subsequent straightening with bending and hammering. Pretty interesting.
I agree. Forge flaws usually do not have such nice clean rectangular lines. It looks to me like a repair was attempted somewhere in this blades past life. Of course it's possible a forge flaw caused the repair to be necessary. One reason I like these blades so much is they where so hard to make. A very cool blade with history for your family and a story to tell!
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 03:14 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLyon101
does anyone know any more information about this group of individuals?. this is probly the region where the kris and budiak were from.
Well, you probably saw this already since the photo you posted is amongst the rest, but here is an excellent group of images of the 14th Cavalry with some just of Troop K.
BTW, which one is great grand dad?

http://www.morolandhistory.com/11.PG-On%20Datu%20Ali's%20Trail/6.hunt_for_datu_ali.htm
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLyon101
So this moro kris belonged to my great grand father. took a while but found out alot of informarion. he joined the us military in 1903 and eventually became part of Troop "K" 14th calvary. He was then stationed at Malabong in Jolo where he faced 105 field days on patrol.he faught at Cotta Pang Pang from what i gather from the diary. does anyone know any more information about this group of individuals?. this is probly the region where the kris and budiak were from.
per what David said, you can check the website www.morolandhistory.com (David, your link didn't work), or you can contact the author, Bob Fulton directly. he's a good friend of mine. the man is virtually a walking encyclopedia when it comes to that era...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 04:28 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
per what David said, you can check the website www.morolandhistory.com (David, your link didn't work), or you can contact the author, Bob Fulton directly. he's a good friend of mine. the man is virtually a walking encyclopedia when it comes to that era...
Yeah, for some reason the link didn't form, but the address is correct. If you copy and paste it takes you directly to the photos.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Spunjer

if you'd like, please pm me for his email addy, mr. lyons. i tried to pm you, but for some reason it's not taking it..
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 12:34 AM   #12
MrLyon101

My great grandfather was corporal martin weiss. he is actually the one on the left in the chair. my grandma said he lied about his age so that he could join. he was 17 at the time he enlisted. he talked about being mustard for the first time and the football games between "m" and "k" troops. my email is mrlyon101@hotmail.com and i would love to talk with your guy from morolandhistory.com
Old 15th December 2012, 08:25 AM   #13
MrLyon101

I emailed morolandhistory.com creator and thanks for finding that. I plan on making the journal digital for perm. keeping. i have attached a couple pictures. its interesting following how his journal and how events follow. But learning about the moros and the american troops is quit exciting.
Attached Images

Last edited by David; 15th December 2012 at 06:26 PM.