Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th December 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Tulwar Hilted Kora

Hello again,
Thought you might like to see this, unfortunately quite a bit of silver has been lost from the handle but I think there is still enough left to get a general impression of the decoration. The significance of the engraved figure has so far eluded me or perhaps this decoration has no real meaning and is just that, decoration. If anybody can come up with a possible date it would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

It looks interesting to me, but I will have to have a look - Spiral, any comments?
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hello,
Spiral and friends were kind enough to comment on this piece a while ago on a narrower forum but I hope this won't put him off bashing the keyboard again. Cheers J & A.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:31 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
These interesting hybrids are I believe Bengali, and I have been told thier primary purpose was for the sacrifice of doves, however I cannot recall the source of that information. I have seen these catalogued with similar description, but it seems the eye of Kali is typically seen near the blade tip, much as in the ram dao. This weapon appears probably mid 19th century.
Having said that, I will also await Spiral's observations
All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 10:22 PM   #5
spiral

Thankyou guys I am flattered, Ive handled & seem many kora in Nepal in particular but ive not studied them,So havent much to add.

it looks indian, Bengali sounds quite likley but I dont know.

The actual meaning of the "king" figure or who it represents I have no idea.

The crown worn isnt Nepali & i havent seen an Indian one like it either? It looks like an Indian interpritation of a European crown to me.

Obviously the parasol is an old symbol of Indian Royalty & also one of the 8 symbols of Buddhism, {Which Hindus will also happily use.}

I expect the figure & Parasol both had Talismanic properties or at least symbolisation to the man who carved them, & probably decorative value as well & both of those things may have affected the price it was originaly sold for.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Norman McCormick

Hello,
Has anyone any opinions as to whether these Tulwar hilted Kora were used as fighting weapons and not just as sacrificial tools. I was always under the impression that the small hole at the top of the hilt in Tulwar type weapons was for a metal ring to enable the use of a sword knot or similar type accessory. If this was the case would it be necessary to have this feature on a blade that was only ever going to be used for ritual sacrifice. I have seen this feature on various different styles of Tulwar hilt so it doesn't seem restricted to a particular area or time period. Wrist type loops would appear to have been used on Indian all steel single handed axes as the examples I've seen, apart from some of the ones with a bulbous end, have an indentation at the base of the grip, I think, to facilitate a wrist binding of some sort. Anybody who has hefted a single handed weapon of any size will know how useful and comfortable a sword knot is and I'm reasonably sure this fact will not have been overlooked by Indian swordsmen.
The above is of course speculation on my part but I would be interested to know the facts if available.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 16th December 2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

If I am not mistaken, what he has in his hand is a boomerang – any comments?
Old 16th December 2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Norman McCormick

Hi,
I'd always assumed it was a simplified representation of a Kora.
Regards,
Norman
Old 17th December 2007, 04:05 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have seen numerous discussions on the Nepalese kora, and in response to the suggestion that these were primarily ceremonial and sacrificial weapons, the answer was a resounding no, they were indeed used in battle. As I have noted, these heavy tulwar hilt examples from Bengal and Nepal border regions that were intended for sacrificial use typically had either the eye (of Kali) or sometimes a lotus, on the blade. This one has neither, but the interesting depiction of a royal figure, with what does look like a highly stylized kora. I think it might be presumed this was intended as a weapon, possibly for guards for a royal figure, this suggesting they would strike on behalf of that person if required. Naturally this is pure speculation but worth consideration.
Old 17th December 2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

Sorry folks, but what the ’king’ is holding in his hand is a boomerang.

If you have a look at Hindu Arms and Rituals you will see the attached on page 191 and others on page 192. Further more, in the Index page 306 you will see that Elgood mentions six different boomerangs used in India.
Attached Images

Old 17th December 2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ahah! The reference is revealed!!! Thank you Jens
Now that we know it indeed is a boomerang the strange kingly figure is holding, perhaps we might better assess what this particular kora was for.
In using the Elgood reference, he notes that the 'birudungi' was this South Indian form of boomerang with one end cut square, the other ending in a knob, as seen in the inscribed figure on the blade of the kora. There is also the suggestion that the Maravar were one tribal group using these, and formed the state of Sivaganga, the use of the thrown stick described c.1795.

While this kora seems later 19th century, perhaps it is inscribed recalling the traditions there, and was indeed referencing combat events. Elgood describes the kora further on p.252, "...the kora is generally described by modern writers as Nepalese but appears particularly associated with Bengal. A kora in the Kandy Museum , Sri Lanka, is said to be the weapon of the last royal executioner". The reference continues to p.238 where the term 'bughalee' becomes synonymous in 19th century with the kora, and the seven examples held in the Royal Danish Kunsthammer inventory from 1674, describing these as East Indian sabres.

Interestingly, the boomerang held by the 'king' has the widened end shaped with double concave tip, like the kora, rather than the straight end in the illustrated and described examples in Elgood. Perhaps associating the weapon with the kora, which apparantly was also an established weapon?

Brings to mind the question of development of the kora in Nepal, and whether that occurred from Southern India to the north.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 18th December 2007, 08:24 PM   #12
Norman McCormick

Hello,
Having studied the 'king' figure there are a few points I would like to raise. On the depiction of the kora/boomerang the profile of the end of the blade is different in the engraving than on the Kora itself in fact it is different from any Kora I have seen, different enough I think to warrant a closer look. Were there boomerangs with this type of profile as it would appear from the post that the end of the boomerangs were straight and not curved, or perhaps there may have been boomerangs with a curved profile that we are not aware of. The pantaloon type garment worn by the 'king' figure, would that style of dress point to a particular area of origin or a particular group of people. At the end of the left hand are four dots and a shallow semicircle, this is obviously not meant to be a representation of a hand, is it an armoury,makers mark or an esoteric symbol or something else?
Looking forward to your observations.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 19th December 2007, 02:56 AM   #13
olikara

Default Figure on the Kora

Norman,

About the figure on the Kora, I think he is wearing leopard skin garments. Garments made of the skins of wild animals like leopards, cheetah(now extinct in India), tigers (very rarely lions as they are not colorful) were the common attire of warriors and holy men like someone who would do a ritual sacrifice in India. Very often a leopard, tiger skin would be draped over the normal attire. The upper body was usually bare while the lower body would be covered with a dhoti. These type of garments denoted the fierceness of the warriors and their valor in a hunt.

On his upper body we see 2 strings of bead ornaments. The larger one has a pendant hanging from it. They are very very commonly worn by religious Hindus in India and called 'Rudraksha Mala'. They are seeds from a holy tree. You can also see a larger dot on his belly which is his navel.

He has a typical Hindu amulet tied around his right upper arm.

Why should the item that the figure holds in one hand be a boomerang? Why can't it be a simple shield. Small shields like that are also known in India(I have seen many in Kerala).

As for the headgear why should one look at it as similar to a European crown? Indian tribals have hundreds of types of Head gear the most common ones being a string tied round their heads and adornments like peacock feathers, leaves, bamboo shoots, etc. inserted between the string and the haer. I think that this is the case here.

I was just looking in my own way at the figure.

Last edited by olikara; 19th December 2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Added further details
olikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 01:09 PM   #14
Jens Nordlunde

Olikara, do you have a picture of such a shield?
Interesting what you write about his dress and ornaments.
Old 19th December 2007, 03:27 PM   #15
olikara

Default Paricha

Jens,
While I do not have any photographs of the smaller shields I have seen used in martial arts classes called 'Kalaris' in kerala, I know what they are called. They are called 'parichas'.

However I have only seen them used in kerala. How they came to Nepal, if at all so is a mystery.

Nidhi
olikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 03:30 PM   #16
katana

The two engravings seem to have been done by different people, probably at differing times. The parasol symbol also has the look of compound bow, drawn ....with arrow 'nocked' ready to 'loose'.

I wondered whether the figure is holding a small dhal in his left hand and if so, suggests a warrior......sacrifice would not require such 'protection'.

Was this Kora bought on eBay? If not, there was a very similar one for sale several months ago with the same or very similar engraving.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 07:11 PM   #17
Norman McCormick

Hello,
Yes, this is the one from e-bay.
Regards,
Norman
Old 19th December 2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Norman McCormick

Hello again,
Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. Olikara thanks for the input, I suppose, regardless of nationality, we all look at images and reference them to our own cultural experience hence the European crown rather than the perfectly feasible alternatives you put forward. On the other hand with European influence having been a factor in India and the surrounding regions for many centuries it is not unreasonable to expect a certain amount of cultural crossover. Getting back to the figure, I would also be interested in any images of the type of shield you mention. Another member has mentioned that the object in the figures left hand could be a Dhal, although this is a possibility I'm not so sure, one warrior two shields seems impractical though not impossible especially if the one in the left hand was a Madu Dhal or something similar which could be used offensively as well as defensively. I'm still of the opinion that the symbols on the left hand are esoteric to some degree, a semicircle and dots seem to appear with regularity on Indo-Persian weapons. All comments and ideas sought. Once again many thanks to all who have taken the time to post replies.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:07 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think David brings in a good suggestion, that the semi circle in one hand, which is along with the high degree of stylizing in the figure, is quite possibly a shield of some kind. While it is well known, as Norman has noted, that the semi circle with dots is indeed often on Indian weapons and others, this is what is known as 'sickle marks' imitating 'quality' markings on European blades. This example, does not approximate that mark as the sickle marks appear as opposing semi circles with dots, not singly (please see 'early makers marks' thread to see more on this). As much as I would like this part of the figure to incorporate esoteric symbolism, which is often the case, I dont think the overall intent shown in the inscribed figure warrants that possibility.

I find Olikara's notes most interesting, however hesitate to think of a martial arts shield being represented on what appears to be a combative weapon. Although the boomerang suggestion remains compelling, again the degree of latitude in the art typified in the inscribed figure still seems strongly coincidental appearing on a kora with the same dual waved tip (which as noted does not occur on the boomerangs). Also, the discussion has focused on the fact that this weapon is from Bengal...not Nepal. In one post I noted the koras present in east coast India southern regions in the 17th c.

Concerning the 'crown', the same stylizing already discussed suggests this may be varying manner of headress, with various components often used as insignia or symbolic intent, rather than a European 'crown'. David's very astute observation on the 'bow and arrow' is well placed, and the parasol may well be the image intended here as well.

Best regards to all,
Jim
Old 19th December 2007, 09:15 PM   #20
Norman McCormick

Hello again,
Yes, it might just be the obvious, a warrior with a sword (Kora) and a shield.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:21 PM   #21
Norman McCormick

Me again,
Still looking for input on the question of sword/wrist knots with regard to Indian weapons.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:07 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Norman,
To the best of my knowledge the 'sword knot' as used by European cavalry on sabres was not employed on Indian swords. In many cases the tang button (capstan in western parlance, = mogra in Indian) was pierced for the purpose of disassembling the hilt. There was certainly variation in this application, and various piercings and holes were often intended to add certain festoons or auspicious ornament, but I am not aware of these used as attachments to tie to the wrist.
Regards,
Jim
Old 19th December 2007, 10:38 PM   #23
Norman McCormick

Hi Jim,
There is a thread on this forum entitled "How old is the Kora as a type",
there is a painting illustrated and on the right are seated three warriors, the middle one has a Tulwar at his side and what looks like a wrist loop attached to the top. I am sure I have also read somewhere, can't remember where, that mounted Indian warriors sometimes attached their swords by a cord to their waists to avoid losing a weapon during combat. Of course all the aforementioned is just conjecture on my part but my curiosity was aroused after handling the Tulwar with the script.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:56 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
Thank you for referencing that, I did not recall that, so I'll definitely review. Actually it would make sense, as one of a cavalryman's worst fears would be to drop his weapon in the heat of battle. I know that in reading overall it often happens that these references come up, and its frustrating to try to relocate them. I recall reading that Rajputs typically dismounted in during combat, I believe the note stating they considered fighting face to face on foot more chivalrous or something to that effect.
With the hole in the tang button, none of the references I know make mention of using it for a wrist cord, but that is not to say it was not done. Obviously seeing British cavalry, who clearly did use the sword knot as well as lanyards on pistols etc. might influence such use, though obviously such a sensibly applied thought was certainly in place without that.
While such practice may not have seen widespread or standard use, it does seem likely that individuals might use this concept as they saw fit.

On an interesting note on these boomerangs, not that it applies here, but came across an entry in Stone p.348, noting these were used as far NW as Gujerat, where they are termed 'katariya'.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 19th January 2008, 02:21 PM   #25
Jens Nordlunde

Here is an ivory boomerang, shown in the book Marlborough House, cast J, #205. This was made for killing hares, but I am sure they had bigger, wooden ones for other kinds of ‘hunting’.

Attached Images

Old 19th January 2008, 10:21 PM   #26
Norman McCormick

The scalloped edge still poses a problem although the one in the engraving seems to be the reverse of the scallops on the actual blade so maybe?????
Regards,
Norman.
Old 17th March 2019, 07:48 PM   #27
Bob A

I found an interesting item at the 2019 MACA show. It seems to be a possible re-purposing of an Indian boomerang, or perhaps just a blade with very similar design. Perhaps it's some sort of proto-Kora? This thread seems like an appropriate place for it.
Attached Images

Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2019, 10:35 PM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Bob
Looks like no takers on this so I'll venture an idea. I don't think this is any sort of a proto-kora as those as a weapon form seem to have evolved quite some time ago in the Indian sword spectrum from the early forms seen in iconography.
I would say this falls into the 'village' type of weapon/implement which was crudely fashioned recalling the kora form, and the 'decoration' follows some sort of folk perspective as far as possible intent.

The scalloped dentation at the tip is curious, almost as if to be used in some sort of scraping. Perhaps this was something used in the manner of kora in sacrificial or butchering situation? With these kinds of items it is pretty much anybodys guess as they are essentially 'one off' and not in a necessary category.
Old 21st March 2019, 12:53 AM   #29
Bob A

I had taken close-up pictures of the hilt, trying to determine whether the blade had been modified, perhaps from the "boomerang" shape, prior to having a hilt affixed, but I'm unable to decide. The hilted area does seem rather thicker that the blade area, but it seems too speculative to say more.

I note that the hilt is copper, or something covered in sheet copper. The only other piece I have at hand with copper sheathing is a Songye axe. Afric to India is way too distant a jump to hazard any conclusions in that regard. If anyone has data regarding copper-sheathed hilts, I'd be interested in reading about this.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote