Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Luka Borscak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSinTX
Also pictures of the makers mark that you mentioned.
I forgot, here it is...
Attached Images

Luka Borscak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 07:32 AM   #2
corrado26

This is what the catalogue of the Wallace Collection 1962 says to the mark in question
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Luka Borscak

I also found this about the mark...
Attached Images

Old 13th June 2020, 10:13 AM   #4
ulfberth

Thank you for the extra pictures, however the pictures of the surface of the metal are not clear enough. I will post some pictures of an original Stantler sword so you can see what I mean with surface of the metal visible , also now you can compare an original to the two you have and compare. The one I show also has the diamond shaped pommel as described in the Wallace collection, please notice that here the rust or black spots are in the metal not on top of it as it seems on yours, please compare the stamps although both Stantler stamps the one on your sword is in brand new condition or .... Perhaps if you post pictures like these we can say more of the swords are 16th century as the remarkable fresh stamp implies.
Attached Images

ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 10:17 AM   #5
Victrix

I’m no expert on zweihänders but they were novelties even during their time, some more than others. Arms in Eastern Europe sometimes also appear outsized compared to Western Europe. Difficult to judge the swords from pictures but the one on the left looks more convincing to my novice eyes. I would take the swords to a museum or the like for a more expert opinion.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 10:25 AM   #6
ulfberth

Well I don't want to rule out any possibilities, but I can say with one hundred percent certainty: if these two are original you have hit the jackpot ! Stantler swords are very valuable and the one with knots at the end of the crossguard is extremely rare as an original. Now you can compare and examine them on the spot.
Old 13th June 2020, 11:30 AM   #7
Victrix

Must say Ulfberth’s zweihänder sword looks more slender (less thick) with obvious signs of wear and lack of sharp edges.

There’s a place called Golden Lane in Prague Castle which showcases modern replicas of medieval arms. Czech smiths seem very skilled at producing these for historical renactment etc. The items on display there are for sale.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 11:54 AM   #8
ulfberth

here are some better close up detail pics, have a look at the leather , reproductions never have leather like this.
Please post some similar pictures including the grips, it seems they are plain wood.
Attached Images

Old 14th June 2020, 06:31 PM   #9
Luka Borscak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
Must say Ulfberth’s zweihänder sword looks more slender (less thick) with obvious signs of wear and lack of sharp edges.

There’s a place called Golden Lane in Prague Castle which showcases modern replicas of medieval arms. Czech smiths seem very skilled at producing these for historical renactment etc. The items on display there are for sale.
You mean thickness or width? Mine is thick at the base, but tapers quickly. In the top third of the blade it is very thin and flexible.