Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spanish or Argentine knives? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17076)

chregu 8th April 2013 07:35 PM

Spanish or Argentine knives?

3 Attachment(s)
hello together

my newest knife is this beautiful piece. the handle and the sheath is made of solid silver, the age I guess between 1880/1900. it certainly can not be classified, but I think rather that it is Spanish. could it be French? I see similarities with the Corsican daggers.
who has a different idea, please report.

Yours sincerely
Chregu

Gavin Nugent 9th April 2013 12:21 AM

I too think Spanish, perhaps Gaucho....There seem to be both Brazil and Argentia design aspects at face value....I am impressed, this is a nice example, one I would be proud to have in my South American Gaucho collection....as many have said before, if you ever get sick of it let me know!!!

chregu 9th April 2013 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello freebooter

had this knife for only five days, it did not even tired! smile.
what do you think about age, 1880-1900, or earlier?
if you're Gautcho collector, then you certainly like these knives too! Smile.

greeting Chregu

ingelred 13th April 2013 11:32 AM

Hello Chregu,

in my opinion it is Brazilian.
When You compare the knife to some knives that are depicted in "El Gaucho y su Chuchillo" the brass inlay in the blade seems to be quite common fot Brazilian Gaucho knives.

Best regards, ingelred

russel 14th April 2013 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, long time lurker here.

I have long thought that a knife of mine may be from South America. While it is quite different to those above, the file work shows a resemblance to me. Am I on the right track?

Thanks to everyone for a fantastic forum.

Cheers, Russel

Héctor 15th April 2013 01:22 AM

Olá a todos, Chregu a faca apresentada é com certeza brasileira, mas não é gaúcha. É procedente do estado de Minas Gerais, na parte central do Brasil. Seus traços tem uma grande influencia das facas oriundas da região mediterrânea, em especial a Espanha. Assim como muitas laminas que foram produzidas na região neste período. Quanto a idade da peça, baseado em outras laminas semelhantes desta região, suponho que tenha sido feita entre 1860 a 1890.

Google translate;

Hello everyone, Chregu the knife is presented with certainty Brazilian gaucho but is not. It is coming from the state of Minas Gerais, in the central part of Brazil. His features have a great influence knives originated in the Mediterranean region, in particular Spain. Like many blades that were produced in the region during this period. As the age of the piece, based on other similar blades in this region, I suppose it was made ​​between 1860 to 1890.

chregu 18th April 2013 08:20 PM

hello together

many thanks for your help.
it is now clear to me, I will not sell it because I do not have a knife from brazil! smile.
again many thanks to you all.

greeting Chregu

Gavin Nugent 19th April 2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Héctor
Hello everyone, Chregu the knife is presented with certainty Brazilian gaucho but is not. It is coming from the state of Minas Gerais, in the central part of Brazil. His features have a great influence knives originated in the Mediterranean region, in particular Spain. Like many blades that were produced in the region during this period. As the age of the piece, based on other similar blades in this region, I suppose it was made ​​between 1860 to 1890.

Hi Héctor,

Thank you for another informative post on South American knives.
You prove to be vey well versed on the subject and I personally look forward to more replies as these interesting knives surface.

Gavin