Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Banjarmasin keris for comments. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17014)

asomotif 25th March 2013 12:12 AM

Banjarmasin keris for comments.
 
4 Attachment(s)
Today was my lucky day in personal life.
Daughter turned 8, family and friends visited and we had a wonderfull day. :)

Unfortunately I missed out on an auction of a imho banjarmasin keris.
Posting pictures here for comments and sharing.

Best regards,
Willem

PenangsangII 25th March 2013 07:44 AM

a marriage made in heaven :D

the sheath is of Cirebon and Solo influence. The hilt is stylized from the Bugis rekko hilt but has strong Kalimantan flavor. The blade... well we need a clearer shot.

asomotif 25th March 2013 12:53 PM

Unfortunately these are all the pictures I have, and I was not the lucky buyer.

Better pictures of the blade would have been interesting indeed.

ferrylaki 26th March 2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
Unfortunately these are all the pictures I have, and I was not the lucky buyer.

Better pictures of the blade would have been interesting indeed.

its an unusual tipe of warangka.
it would be nice to see the whole keris indeed.
since there is no certain tipe of kalimantan keris, we can only see the different fron the tipe of jejeran. its common to see bugis, java,sumatera keris mounth with kalimantan jejeran and warangka.

Gustav 26th March 2013 11:24 AM

The same type of Wrongko is depicted in van Duuren's bibliography, the last colour plate, also atributed to Banjarmasin. On this Wrongko besides the exagerated Lambe the most distinctive feature is the straight Loto. Solonese Gayaman Wrongkos generally doesn't have a Loto, except one type on which it appears, yet curved.

It says nothing of course. The makers in Indonesia are using Keris books for their creations for some time already. It could be just the light in the pictures, yet the right side of Wrongko (when held correctly) looks a bit like reworked, like sanded down, the surface has slightly other, lighter colour then the left side.
There is a possibility the Lambe and Loto are worked out on a common Solonese Gayaman.

The hilt looks like Peninsular Pipit Teleng hilt, yet without being Teleng.

asomotif 27th March 2013 07:42 AM

Check out this Wrangka, on a keris that I missed out on 2 years ago.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=banjarmasin

Maurice 27th March 2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
Check out this Wrangka, on a keris that I missed out on 2 years ago.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=banjarmasin

Willem,

it seems you misses all the good stuff... :D

I would love to add this last one with horn wrangka to my own collection.
Do you know where it went? :rolleyes:

Maurice

asomotif 27th March 2013 11:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice
Willem,

it seems you misses all the good stuff... :D

I would love to add this last one with horn wrangka to my own collection.
Do you know where it went? :rolleyes:

Maurice

No, I did not know the buyer. (it was 2 years ago)
Never heard or saw anything of that keris.

Here the 2 wrangka's together.
Notice the similarities in form.

Maurice 27th March 2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
No, I did not know the buyer. (it was 2 years ago)
Never heard or saw anything of that keris.

Here the 2 wrangka's together.
Notice the similarities in form.

You might remember the seller. He could tell you more about the buyer?
:rolleyes:

Yes indeed I see the similarities in form!
Both nice pieces. A pity they slipped through your hands Willem... :(

Maurice

Maurice 29th March 2013 03:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've had contact with the new owner of the Bandjermasin keris and he emailed me some images of the kris, which I was allowed to post in the forum.

Maurice

asomotif 29th March 2013 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav
The same type of Wrongko is depicted in van Duuren's bibliography, the last colour plate, also atributed to Banjarmasin. On this Wrongko besides the exagerated Lambe the most distinctive feature is the straight Loto. Solonese Gayaman Wrongkos generally doesn't have a Loto, except one type on which it appears, yet curved.

Here a picture of the keris Gustav refers to.

asomotif 29th March 2013 09:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice
I've had contact with the new owner of the Bandjermasin keris and he emailed me some images of the kris, which I was allowed to post in the forum.

Maurice


Thanks Maurice,
Nice to have the full picture of the blade.
I have enlarged and turned them to get a better view of the blade.

Rick 29th March 2013 10:27 PM

When I see a blade like this I always wonder what it looked like new .
How does the gonjo become seperated like that, from the wilah ?

Couldn't have been that way when made, right ? :confused:

A. G. Maisey 30th March 2013 02:49 AM

Rick, last year I had the opportunity to handle a lot of very old keris that are located in European museums, keris that entered Europe before 1700 in most cases and in a few cases before 1600.

If I had not known the provenance of these keris my opinion would have been that I was handling keris from no earlier than about 1850, probably much later.

What happens with keris that have been located in their native environment for an extended period of time is that repeated cycles of cleaning followed by lengthy neglect results in a large part of the body of the blade being eroded. This erosion also occurs between the blade base and the gonjo, and thus we get a gap, even a light knock can push an old gonjo out of place.

In blades that have been restored in Central Jawa over the last 40 or so years, many m'ranggi have used epoxy resin, or a mix of epoxy resin and iron filings to fill the gap between the blade and the gonjo, thus providing a degree of protection to this area.

Amuk Murugul 30th March 2013 09:12 AM

Hullo everybody!:)

Just referring back to the original post, to me (in local terminology):

Blade: form: Sampana 9Lok
damascene pattern: Lidi Sabatang

Sheath: form: Jukungan

Best,

Jean 30th March 2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Hullo everybody!:)

Just referring back to the original post, to me (in local terminology):

Sheath: form: Jukungan

Best,

Hello Amuk,
Is this style of sheath common or at least well-known in West Java?
Best regards

Amuk Murugul 30th March 2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Amuk,
Is this style of sheath common or at least well-known in West Java?
Best regards

Hullo Jean,

Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding: by 'local terminology', I mean local to Banjarmasin/South Kalimantan.

The above form was one of the three typical for this area and quite common. There are still many around, you just have to know where to look. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current blade-makers' kerises came supplied them.
Among the Sunda, it is, how can I put it, 'well-known esoterically'(?). ;)

Best,

Jean 31st March 2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Hullo Jean,

Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding: by 'local terminology', I mean local to Banjarmasin/South Kalimantan.

The above form was one of the three typical for this area and quite common. There are still many around, you just have to know where to look. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current blade-makers' kerises came supplied them.
Among the Sunda, it is, how can I put it, 'well-known esoterically'(?). ;)

Best,

Hello Amuk,
Thank you and sorry for my misinterpretation :o . If you have pictures of the other types of Banjarmasin warangkas, they will be welcome, I only know of the rounded 'kidney' style one a bit similar to the Yogya gayaman style.
Best regards
Jean

asomotif 22nd February 2015 08:50 PM

happy
 
1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I have purchased the keris from a friendly fellow collector.
So here is one happy camper :)

asomotif 17th June 2018 11:13 AM

recently sold banjar keris
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just for sharing I would like to add a picture of a superb banjar keris that was recently sold by an antique dealer.

best example I have ever seen.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.