Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th September 2009, 07:29 PM   #31
ThePepperSkull

I have a great uncle who is from Batangas, Phillippines. Being an old batangueno, he loves knives and has a fairly large collection of Balisong, ranging from very old to brand spanking new. I'll make a mental note to take pics for this thread the next time I visit.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 07:55 PM   #32
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

A couple of Mom and Pop manufactured balisongs .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 08:23 PM   #33
Lew
(deceased)

Here is an Indian folding knife that I had some years back.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:08 PM   #34
kronckew

took a quick & nasty photo of my balisongs,

Top:marked: Frosts Cutlery - Surgical Steel - Japan
2nd: Hand Made Phillipines 11-521
3rd: (Butterfly logo), Pacific Cutlery - Japan.
Bottom: (unmarked) Rostfrei

the bottom two are amoungst the bland 'tactical' blade shapes that could have come from anywhere. the top two are more 'ethnic', with the filipino one being the most traditional.

(my favourite is actually the bottom unmarked stiletto bladed one )
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:13 PM   #35
A. G. Maisey

Don't bring those balisongs to Australia to peel your apples.

Illegal here. Get you 25 to life if they don't hang you first --- well, not really, but they are illegal, with very heavy fines and a criminal record attached---just like the dreaded slingshot and those super evil blowpipes.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:27 PM   #36
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Don't bring those balisongs to Australia to peel your apples.

Illegal here. Get you 25 to life if they don't hang you first --- well, not really, but they are illegal, with very heavy fines and a criminal record attached---just like the dreaded slingshot and those super evil blowpipes.
actually they're highly illegal here too. they are specifically mentioned on the banned knife list. i am allowed to have them as they were purchased before they were banned, but i cannot take them off my property, or sell, loan, or trade them to anyone. they fall into the same class as push daggers, belt buckle knives, and automatic opening (flick) knives. they are, of course no more deadly than any of my other 'legal' knives.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:43 PM   #37
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

I guess this would merit a hanging then .
Multi-cultural .

One may carry these unconcealed in Florida .
Attached Images

Old 16th September 2009, 12:56 AM   #38
A. G. Maisey

OH My GOD!!!

Rick, put it away!

That'd get you the cat'o nine tails loaded with lead shot, before they hung you, drew you, and then quartered you. Probably burn your entrails in a brazier as they came out, too.
Old 16th September 2009, 01:53 AM   #39
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

A Braveheart ending, eh ?
Old 16th September 2009, 03:06 AM   #40
A. G. Maisey

Yep.

But if you're interested in weaponry of any kind in this country --- Miraculous Oz --- you need to have the fortitude of a William Wallace to endure.

You can go down for a bunch of keys in the wrong place and wrong time here.
Old 16th September 2009, 03:41 AM   #41
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The spiral springs on these new autos are pretty nifty; quite unlike the traditional lever 'springer' switchblades they exert opening force throughout the process rather than a spring 'launch' that can be stopped simply by deflection, these will continue to open .

With these you can also easily replace a worn or broken spring without rebuilding the knife.

I think I digress .....
Old 16th September 2009, 07:07 AM   #42
kronckew

Mine is a more traditional auto. (also grandfathered in the law, but can't go outside, etc.)

'assisted opening' knives are legal to buy and own, tho not to carry 'without good reason' as they all are lock knives, a no-no. they are OK as the springdoes not open the knife directly via a button or lever release, but only 'assist' the opening started manually. the end result is the same, but one is legal and the other isn't. strange world lawyers live in. customs in the US were going to ban assisted opening knives by internal regulation (ie. not based on law, but just because they felt like it) but there was a heartening groundswell of opinion and letters to congress that managed to scare them back into their holes. until next time.
Old 16th September 2009, 07:29 AM   #43
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yep.

You can go down for a bunch of keys in the wrong place and wrong time here.
guess this pocket multi-too would be illegal as well.

i stopped carrying mine as it was more likely to cut me than the thing i was trying to cut with it. but of course that is what made it legal.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:03 AM   #44
A. G. Maisey

That multi tool is a knife by definition, and a bladed implement.

Carry is definitely prohibited in NSW, Australia , unless you have an acceptable reason. An acceptable reason would be for the preparation and consumption of food --- pretty much anything other than this would not be acceptable.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:28 AM   #45
kronckew

here you can carry a 3in. edge or smaller non-locking folder without a good reason, as long as you do not take it out and use it in an offensive manner (self defence is still offensive according to the law). just taking out out to cut something can be considered 'threatening' if some member of the public gets frightened.

you can carry a fixed blade or locking knife only with good reason, being a chef would be one, or being in a profession where you regularly cut open boxes is another. going fishing would allow you to carry a filleting knife in the tackle box.

however, you must proceed DIRECTLY from your home to the place of the activity, if you stop for fuel, for a wee, or to pick up a take-away, you have then broken the reason and can be prosecuted for carrying an offensive weapon, even if it was locked up in your tackle box, glove box, etc. if you enter a prohibited zone, a public building, court, subway system, train, school, etc. even the under 3in. otherwise legal carry suddenly is not legal.

the police get to decide if your reason is a good one, and may confiscate your knife, and arrest you if they do not like it. you may get off a few months later,after court and lawyers fees, etc. you won't get your knife back tho. and you might not get off. if the non-locking folding knife is borderline, ie. the edge is 2 7/8" and there is a 1/4 unsharpened ricasso, if the cop decides he don't like it, you can get arrested and argue it in court.

i heard of a guy with a little under 1 inch keychain knife that was not even sharpened, it had a button lock and looked like a flick knife, cop noticed it on a traffic stop when it was dangling from the ignition. he got arrested, and convicted of carrying an offensive weapon, tho he did get a suspended sentence and a fine on top of the other legal hassles and expenses instead of jail - and of course he's now a convicted felon.

ah, well, 'nuff said on the subject, we best not stray into politics...
Old 16th September 2009, 06:04 PM   #46
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Might as well add a little Klaas to this thread .
A Kissing Crane .
Love the green scales !
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 16th September 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 7th June 2010, 08:20 AM   #47
ThePepperSkull

I am surprised that nobody mentioned the Higonokami

ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 02:32 AM   #48
Andrew

Cool

Here's a recent addition I picked up from OA. This is what Artzi (Avner?) had to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriental-Arms
The origin and use of this type of folding knifes is not very clear and there are numerous suggestions: Ranging from knives to clean opium pipes to knives for cutting and inscribing on dates leaves. The origin is most probably from the Indo-China area. It has a 3 inches blade, hollow ground, 3 inches back spike and ivory handle with engraved inscription. handle. 6 ½ inches fully opened. Very good condition.
This is clearly from SEA. My impression is Thai based on the blade profile, but if someone (PUFF? ) were able to translate the inscription on the handle, we would surely learn more.

Andrew
Attached Images

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 02:38 AM   #49
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Just kinda found its way to you unnoticed.

Lucky Guy .
Old 9th June 2010, 02:48 AM   #50
Andrew

lol.

Amazingly, this is likely the first purchase I've made in over a year!
Old 9th June 2010, 02:52 AM   #51
Andrew

Wink

And, since I'm now a moderator emeritus, I abused my still intact super-powers to edit the thread title (temporarily) to entice PUFF to come join us.
Old 9th June 2010, 02:57 AM   #52
Berkley

From China, usually called a "fish knife":

OTOH, compare this modern variant:http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Chinese-Arm...item3a5b3436ac
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 03:06 AM   #53
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Here's a recent addition I picked up from OA. This is what Artzi (Avner?) had to say:

This is clearly from SEA. My impression is Thai based on the blade profile, but if someone (PUFF? ) were able to translate the inscription on the handle, we would surely learn more.

Andrew
Andrew, Just saw your post. The script is not Thai...not sure what it is
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 03:16 AM   #54
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkley
From China, usually called a "fish knife":

OTOH, compare this modern variant:http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Chinese-Arm...item3a5b3436ac
Interesting knife...the ebay post had some very interesting information I wonder why the blade does not open up to a wider angle?
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 06:52 AM   #55
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

Quote:

Andrew
Thanks Nathaniel for sending me a link to this thread. I rarely visit this forum this year.

The inscription is not Thai. And as fas as I know, it doesnt looks like Burmese nor Khmer.

Folding knife is not common for Thai before 18-19C. Most of small knives are fixed blade.
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 04:35 AM   #56
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF
Thanks Nathaniel for sending me a link to this thread. I rarely visit this forum this year.

The inscription is not Thai. And as fas as I know, it doesnt looks like Burmese nor Khmer.

Folding knife is not common for Thai before 18-19C. Most of small knives are fixed blade.
Ah, curious. Many thanks.

Would you agree that blade profile looks Thai?

The file-work on the spike strikes me as possibly Indian. Hmmmm.
Old 11th June 2010, 07:26 AM   #57
kronckew

thought that last one looked familiar, opium smoking knife from china:

Linky

i suspect the other 'thai' friction folder with the pictographic writing is also an opium knife. the knife is used to trim wicks and cut the opium into small bits, which are then carefully impaled on a skewer, or opium pin, for placement in the flame for cooking before being placed in the pipe bowl. the thai/hmong knife's spike tip seems to have been subject to similar use. these are early 'combo' tools.

the chinese 'cavalry' knife in the earlier posted link has a spike for removing stones and other items stuck in a horse's hoof, and the blade is used to trim any sharp edges on the hoof.

many knives, such as my royal navy/marine issue knife

have similar stubby blades in the warncliffe or sheepsfoot patterns, with marlinspikes added for use in rope and knot work.

Last edited by kronckew; 11th June 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11th June 2010, 06:48 PM   #58
mross

Quote:

Andrew
This style of knife is often refered to as a friction folder.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...friction+knife

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...friction+knife

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...read.php?14882

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=298709
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 11:28 PM   #59
Berkley

kronckew,
That knife is an interesting variation, since its tail does indeed appear to be in the form of tweezers such as are commonly used for holding sticky balls of uncooked opium. Most of the "fish knives" I have seen have solid spikes more suitable for knotwork on lines or nets (or cleaning hooves). The basic Chinese folder design appears to have a variety of possible uses.
Berk
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 06:25 AM   #60
kronckew

ah, how soon we forget:

a similar thai style knife in a earlier post in this thread. see post no. 19...

a thread on the chinese 'peasants' knife...
Linky

the friction folder has been around since early roman times at least, and are still quite popular.

modern peasants knives:

the one on the left is considerably older than the other two

Last edited by kronckew; 12th June 2010 at 06:46 AM.