Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th August 2017, 02:23 PM   #1
Roland_M

Default Unknown club (amazon and purple heart wood?)

A recently aquired very nice Club of unknown origin.

The club is massive of almost square shaped wood. Length is 93 cm, weight 1200 Grams.

The Club seems to be made of Purple Heart Wood but I'm unsure because it is not purple but a very deep red color. The endings are almost black, which indicates some decades or more of age.

The hilt is much too small for my Hand, similar to a Tulwar from 1800 or before. Another indicator for an old club.

Is anyone able to identify this club and is it worth for collecting or more a high quality training piece?

The effectiveness of this club in combat must be absolutely extreme, probably more effective than most swords.

And this color is so amazing, I'm absolutely in love with it! It conquered my heart in just a few seconds. If one opens a package and such a piece is inside, it is like Christmas, birthday and whatever on one day.

Regards,
Roland
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
colin henshaw

Looks a fine piece, congratulations. With that angular construction I would guess it comes from South America, maybe Northern Brazil ?
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Looks a fine piece, congratulations. With that angular construction I would guess it comes from South America, maybe Northern Brazil ?
Thank you.
South America is also my guess. The club was bought by the grandfather of the previous owner in South America, at least he said.

The point of balance of the club is quite exactly in the middle, which leads to a massive forward balance. 1200 Grams and such a forward balance. It is hard to imagine, that this club was really used in combat. But when I cleaned it with sweet almond oil and carnauba + beeswax, the front half was much more "dirty" than the half with the handle. And I also know, that South American Indians has been extremely tough guys.

Roland
Old 9th August 2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

That is a lovely club. The purple colour may suggest that it is not a particularly old example but that is not what is necessarily the all important thing about Amazon ? South American tribal weapons. I would say from my limited exploration of Amazonian material that it is from Maranhao state. I have a similar form club that was sold to me by an ex FUNAI operative and labelled as coming from Krikati people.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Just another thought about your club. The handle could well be a pommel and the grip might be above. Does the club feel controllable if gripped that way?

Useful colour change link.
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-exotic-woods/

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 10th August 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10th August 2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Bob A

Pernambuco is a Brazilian wood used for making violin bows, as well as a source of dye. Looking at your item made me consider the possibility that it is made of this wood.
Bob A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 04:09 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

More useful info.

http://www.wood-database.com/brazilwood/
http://www.wood-database.com/purpleheart/
Old 10th August 2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

I wonder if this might be Brazil wood as seen in the data base. The end grain is porous but i cannot show that.

Violin bow link
http://www.theviolinsite.com/violin_bows/index.html

Bows can cost a packet!!!!
https://www.londonviolins.co.uk/bows.php
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 10th August 2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 03:43 PM   #9
fireiceviper

A fine looking club, the square shape is something that i have seen before, the handle is unusual and almost looks Melanesian (Vanuatu) (but its not). the sharp square corners can only be done with the hardest woods, i have a spear that has similar square sides but then changes to round... does yours do this to?

also perhaps some more images of this club?
fireiceviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 12:30 PM   #10
Roland_M

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireiceviper
A fine looking club, the square shape is something that i have seen before, the handle is unusual and almost looks Melanesian (Vanuatu) (but its not). the sharp square corners can only be done with the hardest woods, i have a spear that has similar square sides but then changes to round... does yours do this to?

Hello,

sure I will make some more pictures for you.

Yesterday I found out, that the wood ist extraordinary hard. Among the hardest ebony woods, like grenadilla. I think the wood is so hard, it can easily destroy steel swords. I have a small collection of ebony wood and this club is the most beautiful.

Roland
Old 12th February 2018, 06:02 PM   #11
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireiceviper
the sharp square corners can only be done with the hardest woods, i have a spear that has similar square sides but then changes to round... does yours do this to?

Last days I was hoping for better wheather conditions. Sunlight is important to bring out the full color of the wood.
But nothing than rain and dark clouds. So finally I made some pictures under halogen-light, which is really not ideal.

The club is fully square-shaped and the handle is very small. One need a very strong arm to hold the club with one hand on its handle. But with two hands, it is truly a formidable weapon.

Both ends of the wood became black over the time, this makes me think, it could be an old club.

I will make better pictures as soon as the sun is with me.

Roland
Attached Images

Old 12th February 2018, 06:22 PM   #12
Tim Simmons

The small handle is a pommel. The club is the same as mine except mine has a residual guard which also contains a two handed grip. I would like to see daylight picture when you can.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:29 PM   #13
kronckew

It's also possible that the lower section referred to as 'the handle' is really the pommel, and was held in front of that section.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 12:22 PM   #14
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
It's also possible that the lower section referred to as 'the handle' is really the pommel, and was held in front of that section.
Yes it's possible but the club would be still too heavy (1.2 kg) for one hand, almost uncontrolable during action. And it is not because my hands are too weak! Together with a Special Forces Army veteran, we are the only ones in our shooting club, which can shoot more than 70 well aimed shots in one hour with a 1.7 kg pistol in one hand.

If I place my left hand directly in front of the "pommel" there is no good grip for my right hand, the club is too wide for a good grip.

The only way to hold the club safe and to make controled actions is with the left hand on the "pommel" and the right hand directly before the left hand.

I'm also unsure about the material, it is too red for purple heart wood. Much darker than all examples I saw until now.

The whole thing is a mystery for me.

Roland
Old 13th February 2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

I agree a big two hand club. Very nice club to have. I think it must be Brazilwood not purpleheart wood. The red is so strong and has been used as a dye for cloth n the past. Info link;

https://hubpages.com/education/Brazilwood

thought I would just add this picture of purpleheart wood colour.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 13th February 2018 at 03:54 PM.