Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th October 2023, 01:23 AM   #1
Bryce

Default 1780 heavy Cavalry Officer Sword

G'day guys,
I recently added this interesting sword to my collection. I think it dates to around 1770-1780 and would have belonged to a heavy cavalry officer. This is the oldest British sword hilt I have seen that features honeysuckle in the design. Honeysuckle featured in British heavy cavalry officer swords from the 1796 undress sword onwards. Unfortunately parts of the guard are missing and the whole sword is very patinated. The long, slim blade is 92cm long, 2.8cm wide at the ricasso and double edged for the last 35cm. This particular blade design seems to have been popular in the period before the 1788 pattern became regulation. Also interesting is that a scarf weld is clearly visible at the ricasso. This is where the steel blade was welded to an iron tang. Most examples of this blade I have been able to find online, also show a scarf weld in the same position.

I am sure that in the past somewhere, I have seen a pristine example of this same style hilt, but I can't remember where? There is a similar hilt shown in Charles Martyn's "The British cavalry sword from 1600".
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote