Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd July 2015, 01:12 PM   #151
ariel

Spiral,
I own and have read at least one of his books. Not being a collector of European military swords, I cannot judge the correctness of his attributions. Nevertheless, they seem to be researched and based on genuine knowledge. I have no reason to doubt his opinion and his integrity.

I really did not like your formatting of the citation of my posting: yours put a "smiley-face" directly after my characterization of Mr. Withers as a "well-known and respected dealer", thus giving an impression that I was sardonic about his reputation. The original posting had no such thing.

In the future, please be more careful with citing other peoples' texts.

Thanks.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 02:31 PM   #152
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
... Spiral ... I really did not like your formatting of the citation of my posting: yours put a "smiley-face" directly after my characterization of Mr. Withers as a "well-known and respected dealer", thus giving an impression that I was sardonic about his reputation...
I wouldn't have such impression, Ariel; instead i would attribute the sardonic tone to the other party, in the context. But surely the insertion of the smiley in the quotation of your text was a accident; Jonathan would not think of doing such offense in purpose.
Back on track, Gentlemen.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 02:41 PM   #153
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
I wouldn't have such impression, Ariel; instead i would attribute the sardonic tone to the other party, in the context. But surely the insertion of the smiley in the quotation of your text was a accident; Jonathan would not think of doing such offense in purpose.
Back on track, Gentlemen.

ariel's post did have a smiley face, just after 'century'. looks like spiral cut the text out before the smiley and after his intended section & didn't realize what he'd done. always best to replace missing text with an elipsis...

i tend to accidentally create frowny faces when listing examples with a parenthetical comment,

like this onewhich should have looked like)

one: (which...)

'nuff said.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 02:47 PM   #154
spiral

Didn't realise there was a smiley face there Ariel, Apologies for my slap dash cut & paste.

As Fernando recognised & Kronckew points out, it was an error of miss editing, not intentional....

Withers books featuring Ethnographic stuff would be of more value to this thread.

All the best,
Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:42 PM   #155
ariel

Issue closed. Thanks for the explanation.
What ethnographic books by Withers are you referring to? I am not familial with them and would love to know.
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:02 PM   #156
spiral

mmmm Cant fully recall Ariel, but I think Ive still got one, a friend gave me as a present somewhere... Give me a day or so to see if I can find it....

{Deliberate smiley!}
Old 4th July 2015, 01:27 AM   #157
ariel

:-)))
Old 4th July 2015, 06:40 PM   #158
spiral

Found it, the titles not quite as grandiose as Cameron Stones, but its getting there!

"The World Encyclopaedia of Swords & Sabres, An Authoritative History & Visual Directory of Edged Weapons from Around the World."

Including 800 stunning colour pictures...

Sounds good!

Some of the items feature in another book by the same author with a different tile as I recall, from browsing in a second hand bookshop.

Here 3 items featured in it in it, I could select many more...
Attached Images

Old 4th July 2015, 07:11 PM   #159
Tim Simmons

nothing to add about a clash of views except to show that the crown can be quite modern. i really do not think it is Victorian. This is a crown on a yard stick with E ans R either side the present monarch of the UK.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 07:58 PM   #160
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Found it, the titles not quite as grandiose as Cameron Stones, but its getting there!

"The World Encyclopaedia of Swords & Sabres, An Authoritative History & Visual Directory of Edged Weapons from Around the World."

Including 800 stunning colour pictures...

Sounds good!

Some of the items feature in another book by the same author with a different tile as I recall, from browsing in a second hand bookshop.

Here 3 items featured in it in it, I could select many more...

Oops!!!
Well, that's what Im talking about though. While the Kenyan seme' is a properly identified item , the first item, which is clearly a sabre from Mali but referred to as a Hausa 'takouba' (????) from Nigeria is a 'howler' ...yikes!
The item from 'Malaysia' of course would be difficult to explain under that heading (no pun intended) .
Thank you for elaborating on the infractions noted in the reference to Mr. Withers book(s) specifically.

As mentioned, Stone has a number of almost bizarre gaffs as well, but overall stands as a well venerated and respected volume, so I suppose a certain number of these becomes forgivable considering the relative content which holds true.

Regarding the crown, true, this example which is simply stamped into lead might well be construed to other rulers in the British monarchy. The Georgian crown on gun locks for example could well be considered also.
In my own thought, I would regard this crown simply stamped without other context as Victorian if for no other reason than the extremely long and significant period her reign covered (1837-1901).
In the British Empire, reference to her monarchy as 'the Crown' became almost a standard in my view, and a simple crown without other context would attest to property in that case.

While obviously this subjective view does not adequately identify this particular crown as 'Victorian' but explains my tendency to the thought that it probably is.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 08:13 PM   #161
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Oops!!!
Well, that's what Im talking about though. While the Kenyan seme' is a properly identified item , the first item, which is clearly a sabre from Mali but referred to as a Hausa 'takouba' (????) from Nigeria is a 'howler' ...yikes!
The item from 'Malaysia' of course would be difficult to explain under that heading (no pun intended) .
Thank you for elaborating on the infractions noted in the reference to Mr. Withers book(s) specifically.

As mentioned, Stone has a number of almost bizarre gaffs as well, but overall stands as a well venerated and respected volume, so I suppose a certain number of these becomes forgivable considering the relative content which holds true.
Thanks Jim, it was the date of the Seme that got me! So many other bits of silliness throughout it as well .

But at least his published lots of books & sold many such pieces.

Stone was at the forefront of research & didn't have the internet, 5 minutes research on any of these arms on this or many others sites would, while not be perfect set him on a straighter line....
spiral
Old 4th July 2015, 09:45 PM   #162
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Thanks Jim, it was the date of the Seme that got me! So many other bits of silliness throughout it as well .

But at least his published lots of books & sold many such pieces.

Stone was at the forefront of research & didn't have the internet, 5 minutes research on any of these arms on this or many others sites would, while not be perfect set him on a straighter line....
spiral
Agreed, in many things published there are items and comments that prove to be pretty funny. I can recall many years ago certain mail order catalogs had descriptions and text with items which many of us would browse through and end up hysterical! These became like comic books, and we enjoyed them for years.
What was horrible was the times that some authors actually used some of these catalog descriptions as supporting evidence!!!???in their published work.
I guess that why we're here, to set things straight as much as possible on identifying items, and sharing knowledge so the newer guys can be aware when they are buying.

Stone was remarkably prudent as he took on his monumental task, and knew the pitfalls he would face. He responsibly noted to readers that there would be potential errors, and encouraged future collectors, researchers and scholars to keep moving forward in further study and resolution.
His work will always stand as the benchmark, and all these years later, here we are!!! I think he would be delighted!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 10:00 PM   #163
Tim Simmons

Google , George 6th pillar box crowns.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 11:06 PM   #164
spiral

indeed Jim its a shame when gross inaccuracies in books or in even nowadays internet articles, that are are used to inflate the prices of junk pieces...

Chaps, the crown on the lead stamp is for the last 2 century's at least a Queens crown not a Kings, Its either Vickys or Lizzies, but as it is stamped in lead in reverse, from a true stamp it clearly, not an old British museum stamp. {Even impoverished carpenters had there own steel stamps made, to mark there tools in Victorian times, never mind museums!}

More like an impression made from a Crown button, buckle or some such. Cold pressed into a piece of soft lead.

Spiral
Old 6th July 2015, 03:47 AM   #165
ariel

Guys, I am really enjoying it:-)
Seriously, I truly admire your attention to details and unexpected approaches to the riddles of attribution.
Great twist of the discussion!
Old 6th July 2015, 10:51 PM   #166
spiral

Quote:
Guys, I am really enjoying it:-)
Seriously, I truly admire your attention to details and unexpected approaches to the riddles of attribution.
Great twist of the discussion!
Glad your enjoying it, were always here for you Ariel!

I wonder what Afghan vegetable or other natural dyes would create that bright red scabbard colouring & maintain it for 100 plus years?

linky..

Spiral[
Old 7th July 2015, 11:39 PM   #167
ariel

I see your point, but we do not know where and under what conditions this scabbard spent the last 150 years:-)
I recently saw pics of Jane Fonda....
Old 8th July 2015, 12:34 AM   #168
kronckew

Quote:
I recently saw pics of Jane Fonda....
you poor thing. what has been seen cannot be unseen

(she's 77 BTW)

jane with her makeup off taking a toke off her spliff:
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 09:21 PM   #169
Rumpel

Exceedingly plain, I'm afraid. I assume mid-late 20th c, acquired in Kabul's Chicken Street buried beneath much more obviously modern junk.
Attached Images

Rumpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 03:03 PM   #170
taube

Not 100% certain if this belongs here but anyway.
New acquisition from a forum member, thanks again.
I do appreciate its simple design very much.

Cheers,
taube.
Attached Images

taube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 03:46 PM   #171
kino

My one and only.
I think this qualifies in this thread.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 09:41 AM   #172
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by taube
Not 100% certain if this belongs here but anyway.
New acquisition from a forum member, thanks again.
I do appreciate its simple design very much.

Cheers,
taube.
Not exactly a choora, more of a karud I would say.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 09:44 AM   #173
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
My one and only.
I think this qualifies in this thread.
I would call this a pesh.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 09:56 AM   #174
estcrh