Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th July 2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Helleri

Default Letter Opener(?) for translation, context, and thoughts.

I had a small letter opener collection a while back. This is the last piece from it that I still have. It was a gift from my mother. Where she got it I couldn't say (She goes to a lot of estate, garage, and yard sales. As well as the flea market and auction houses frequently.

The Inscription reads "ASS. NAZ. VOLONTARI DI GUERRA ·: 1915 - 1916 · lll ZONA"

It is non ferromagnetic. Feels too heavy to be aluminum. Not as heavy as and harder than pewter. Feels to be one solid piece (if hollow at the core could be pewter after all?). And it is the exact same deal on the other side just with no inscription.

I recognize the axe head in the bundle of sticks as a fasces. But so many have used that since the Romans that stand alone that aspect doesn't seem to narrow it down (except to say that it is likely European?).
Attached Images

Last edited by Helleri; 17th July 2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: title changes; minor spelling edits.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote