Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th July 2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Mel H

Default Two Shamshir / Killij / Scimitar for comment

One with horn grips and a reasonably heavily curved 78 cm un-fullered blade having a slightly broadened, double edged tip (27 cm).

The other, has Ivory grips and a very wide cross guard (18.5 cm) and a less curved, 84 cm pipe back blade,

Neither have any markings, stamps or engravings.
Knowing that some 19th C. European Officers favoured the Mameluke style, I did at one time wonder if the Horn one may be of European origin.

Any advice with regard to their origins ( and correct terminology) would be welcomed.
Attached Images

Mel H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 07:12 PM   #2
ariel

I think both of them are European.
As to terminology: both are “ Mameluke swords” for the Europeans, both are “kilij” for the Ottomans, both are “shamshirs” for the Persians or Indo-Persians.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 01:03 AM   #3
Oliver Pinchot

The straighter of the two is Indian work, likely for a British or East India Company officer.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 02:21 PM   #4
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
The straighter of the two is Indian work, likely for a British or East India Company officer.
I can see why you think that, given the deep "Indian Ricasso", but the pipe back blade is very European. Eastern blades tend to have a T section rather than a keyhole section or ramrod back.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 03:10 PM   #5
Mel H

Grateful for all of your thoughts, I've had them for quite a while and never quite made up my mind about either of them. I did wonder about the Pipe back but was always thrown by the construction of the grips which I thought was a feature more seen on Eastern hilts.
Thanks, Mel.
Mel H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Oliver Pinchot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
I can see why you think that, given the deep "Indian Ricasso", but the pipe back blade is very European. Eastern blades tend to have a T section rather than a keyhole section or ramrod back.
I've seen many pipeback blades, but never one of this form. If you have, kindly post an image? I think, otherwise, that your observation is a syllogism.

Indian smiths were capable of creating blades based on a sketch or even a description, and regularly conflated European characteristics in their work, particularly for European patrons.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:03 PM   #7
Cthulhu

Mameluke-hilted swords were a bit of a fad in the early 1800s in Europe, possibly because of French campaigns in Egypt. ...and I probably shouldn't say fad, since there are western military units that to this day use that style as their dress sword. For instance look at photos of the US Marines officer's saber.

The guard on the more curved example looks western to me, though I can't put my finger on why.

Oliver, what makes you say the less curved one is Indian? The ricasso certainly points that way, is there anything else that makes the determination for you?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 02:17 PM   #8
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I think both of them are European.
As to terminology: both are “ Mameluke swords” for the Europeans, both are “kilij” for the Ottomans, both are “shamshirs” for the Persians or Indo-Persians.
I very much agree.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote