Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 26th May 2020, 03:41 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default My "new" cup hilt sword for your kind comments

Why have i acquired this one, despite current austerity days ?
Besides the patriotic inscription on the blade VIVA PORTUGAL, a Royal crest which, despite its faded condition, would implicitly be that of a Portuguese monarch.
The also (faded) patriarcal cross in the tang would have once shown a crucified Jesus, a symbol used by a few smiths, probably inspired by Toledan master Pedro Hernandez.
And last but not least, this blade width, which is really impressive; one that i have never seen and certainly neither many of you guys, i guess; over 5 cms. (2 inches).
The guard is easily dismountable; the pommel turns off rather smootly.

The grip; turned horn.
Cup bowl diameter: 15 cms. (also impressive).
Quillons span: 31 cms.
Blade length: 76 cms. (infantry).
Total length: 95 cms.
Weigth: 1187 grams.

Comments will be welcome.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 03:54 PM   #2
ulfberth

Congratulations Fernando !
it is not just another cup hilt of this genre , it is exceptionally huge and there are the fine engravings , yes I would have bought it to if I had the chance.
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 03:58 PM   #3
fernando

Thak you for the kind words, Dirk .
Old 26th May 2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Gruawaesk

Stunning piece!
Gruawaesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 05:24 PM   #5
jezcott

A fine sword, an absolute beast. Great inscriptions and marks, which are always half the pleasure in researching and understanding the sword.
jezcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 06:45 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fernando, you KNOW my weakness!!! cup hilts!
And with Dirk, I agree, this is a wonderful and most unusual example.

In the 18th century, Spain stubbornly held to its cup hilt traditions and Portugal of course also maintained their affinity for these fascinating hilts. Without more detailed research, I would think this is likely a colonial 'arming' version of the continued colonial versions of cup hilts from probably Brazilian context.

I have seen these heavy blades on various Spanish colonial swords of the 18th century it seems, and they are of course infantry officers weapons as I have understood. I am not sure of the Portuguese involvement in the Seven Years War in the Americas but it certainly seems possible this may have some connection there.

Thank you for the great pics, detailed description, and sharing a MOST unusual example of the cup hilt spectrum!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 09:11 PM   #7
fernando

Thank you for your enthusiastic words, Jim .
Indeed this is an unusual example in all its details. But soon as i posted it here, some acquaintance i have, dedicated to these matters, reminded me of a similar, almost equal, example in exhibition in the Portuguese army museum of Lisbon. In fact all details match, since the key clue VIVA PORTUGAL on the blade, a motto profusely used whilst the restoration of independence from the Spanish Filipes took place (1640-1668). The crown is no doubt that of Dom Joćo IV, who was then acclaimed King of Portugal.
Amazing that the length and profile of both swords is practically the same.

Attached Images

Old 26th May 2020, 09:29 PM   #8
M ELEY

Wow! Fernando, you've outdone yourself! That is a beast of a sword!! (And I say that in a marvelous way!). I admit that I also thought as Jim did that it could have been perhaps colonial only in that the grip being horn and unwrapped and it's splendid but unmatched proportions led me to believe it not of standard regulation. I am imagining the man that wielded it to be of equal stature! As I am far from an expert on these, do you believe the proportions of yours were for a special military unit or troop? Was the one you mentioned in the local museum attributed to a particular regiment or smith? You are a lucky dog, my friend!
Mark
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 11:51 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Thank you for your enthusiastic words, Jim .
Indeed this is an unusual example in all its details. But soon as i posted it here, some acquaintance i have, dedicated to these matters, reminded me of a similar, almost equal, example in exhibition in the Portuguese army museum of Lisbon. In fact all details match, since the key clue VIVA PORTUGAL on the blade, a motto profusely used whilst the restoration of independence from the Spanish Filipes took place (1640-1668). The crown is no doubt that of Dom Joćo IV, who was then acclaimed King of Portugal.
Amazing that the length and profile of both swords is practically the same.

Even more exciting Fernando! and certainly this sword would easily place to that period as well. I am glad you were able to add this most vital data which more securely places the period, such as the royal crown which is key evidence.
The heavy and shorter than usual character of the blade was of course well suited for foot forces where the melee and close quarters would find such a sword favorable.
Uh, Mark, it is tempting to even consider maritime possibilities!!
I am not sure that swords of this heft would be confined to a certain unit, however, it is interesting that 'dragoons' were essentially mounted infantry, and dismounted for combat in those times. So perhaps a dragoon unit?

Magnificent and unusual sword!!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2020, 03:59 PM   #10
Terry K

Beautiful sword never seen over here, Congratulations
Terry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2020, 04:02 PM   #11
fernando

Thank you Terry .