Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th March 2016, 04:03 AM   #1
RDGAC

Default Moukhalla

Well, perhaps like an idiot, I went and finally acquired one of these oddities in September last. Been meaning to post it on the forum since then but, well, you know how it goes...

Overall length 63in, barrel length 48in almost exactly; the bore's somewhere around .65 (or roughly 20-bore), but is actually ovoid at the muzzle(!) so it's a bit tricky to say for sure.

Snaphance lock semi-functional; when purchased, the corrosion had essentially jammed it solid, but oil and wire wool has removed enough of that to get the lock moving again. The sear nose has deformed sufficiently to prevent engagement with the cock, and doesn't actually match up with the tail of the cock (more on that anon), and the pushrod for the pan lid is sufficiently loose to wobble a fair bit when the lock works. One of the lock screws is ridiculously overlong but otherwise OK. Whole thing sits very loosely in the stock; could be a replacement?

Barrel's as crude as anything I've ever seen, being not particularly straight externally and, as mentioned, ovoid in section at the muzzle (ramrod wear?). Very long, narrow bored and surprisingly light. Smoothbored, octagonal over first 5 inches (or so) from breech, transitioning to round external section thereafter, with notch rear sight and brass bead foresight that's worn down to a stub but just about visible.

Stock and fittings are the real meat of this thing. Never seen as much bone or silver in such a short area. Most of the decorations are still in place; the biggest absence is a piece of bone which should be sited almost exactly on the centreline of the stock, roughly where the user's thumb would rest while shooting - probably explains its absence. Camel-bone inlay sections forming hindmost part of buttstock are extensively cracked (desiccation or heat expansion/contraction?) and yellower than a hundred-a-day smoker's two remaining teeth, but at least remain in position. Small areas of orange coral present on stock wrist. Extensive silver plating, covering underside of stock adjacent to lock, and used to produce sideplate to hold lock screws. Twenty-eight (count 'em!) barrel bands, of which one brass; first band appears to be heavily patinated silver strip of approx. 3in length, nailed to stock through leading corner. Iron ramrod with simply carved tip, unfortunately jammed in there like a limpet and resisting all efforts at removal. In fact, the entire gun's stuck together extremely tightly; I suspect someone has, in its long life, kept it clean with heavy use of furniture polish.

Pics! Apologies for their being small and rather poor; my good phone camera is dead and buried, sadly, and this is all I have to hand.
Attached Images

RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote