Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 26th May 2017, 05:52 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A padlock ... and a challenge

I realize this old padlock is not an 'universal' model but made to lock something specific.
And why:
The key is composed of a 'stylized' bow, a cilindrical mid-section and a hollow screw with a left-handed thread. When we plug the screw and turn it to its end, its hollow embraces an internal square tapered rod, pushing it until it enters the shackle toe, locking the device.
Intriguing is the shackle clearance, which seems to get completion with its arch shaped body counter part, as to restrain something specific; which arch is shaped in a manner that leaves 'spare' space between it and the shackle legs, for no apparent reason ... unless again for specific means.
The seller i bought it from was told this is a thumbs cuff, but i told him he has surely been misinformed.
There are traces of metal both in the cilinder and in the bow; i would say gold, not brass. The figure inside the bow, reminds me of some symbol; i just dont figure out which. This strange padlock sure has a considerable age; i would venture 18th century ... until corrected.
Have you Gentlemen ever seen something similar ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 06:34 PM   #2
ALEX

A typical barrel padlock with screw key. I doubt gold, most likely brass It is old, probably 19thC or even early 20th, could be Indian. Google "Barrel Screw Padlock" you'll see many similar.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 07:21 PM   #3
fernando

Thank you so much ALEX ... for the prompt and sad news. I thought this was something unique; at least to be worth the price i paid .
Old 26th May 2017, 08:47 PM   #4
ALEX

It's still a fine lock, genuine antique and collectible. By "typical" I meant is is of relatively common type, not one of a kind, very rare or early. Quite a few are still coming from India and some with Islamic inscriptions. The seller incorrectly claimed it to be a cuff or shackle lock. Those resemble the form but differ in construction, size and implements.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 10:29 AM   #5
fernando

It is just that, as you well remind, this is not so early and unique as i was driven to realize, influenced by the seller whom, i really believe, didn't know what this was and 'bought' suggestions made by third parties. I know now that i have paid the double of what i see now being offered in web sites out there.
The gold traces were my own idea, as they look too bright to be brass.
I thank you for wise help.
Old 28th May 2017, 01:26 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Yes Standard Indian style of lock... A lot of Indian locks were either copied from English locks or when the dies were sold Indian workshops bought them up along with all sorts of stuff including old English money boxes.
Here are some others;
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 29th May 2017 at 12:38 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote