Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 13th July 2006, 05:55 AM   #1
Mudi

Default Keris Majapahit

These four keris Majapahit. They come from my mother family and are family pusaka. Both scholar Edward Frey and David Van Duuren call these keris Majapahit. David Van Duuren say in his book that these keris type may be 1,000 year old. They are for protection not for stabbing. Keris A is only 14 cm long same as smallest one in collection Tropenmusem. Keris B is keris Majapahit picit. This forged by hand and three impressions of thumb can be seen on the blade. Two are in front side one on back side. These keris stay with old stone Ganesha and are feed every day with incense.
Attached Images

Mudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Lei Shen Dao

Very nice

A keris picit/pijat is quite rare from what I know. It indicates a very "strong" Empu

Nice photos
Lei Shen Dao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
nechesh

The name these Western writers use (keris majapahit) is probably a bit inaccurate since most of these don't actually originate from the Majapahit period. Perhap you would agree that Keris Sajen is a better name.
Pak Mudi, could you tell us how long these pusaka have been in your family?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Mudi

Pak Nechesh

I do not think keris sajen is good for these keris. Sajen means offering of food or flower. Keris membela means protection keris. I like name of keris membela asli mean keris protection real. Another word from english would be amulet. That is these early keris.

You are right that keris Majapahit not correct way to call these. They were made before Majapahit. Funny that we take western words and use these words. So these keris are called now keris Majapahit. Indonesians people do not mind words that western scholar put to keris. The words that paint the keris are not so important. Any person can paint or say of keris what they want.

My believe is that keris Majapahit or keris membala asli become over time more than amulet. It become weapon. I also believe Chinese and India had something to make this happen in history. China and India long time trading in Indonesia. This is many hundred years past. This is all before VOC come to Indonesia in 1602.

No one man I know real expert di keris. My father always say to bad they can not talk. I say to father, yes. That is sad.

How long as pusaka in my family mother? I can not tell. My mother would say for all time. That would mean all her time.
Old 14th July 2006, 01:55 PM   #5
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudi
These keris stay with old stone Ganesha and are feed every day with incense.
Please forgive my misunderstanding, i had assumed from the other thread that you were a Moslem.

Moslem or Hindu, i am intriqued that you would deem it proper to place such obviously important family pusaka on international public display. Is that commonly done in your part of Indonesia?
Old 14th July 2006, 02:28 PM   #6
Mudi

Pak Nechech,

My father Bugis, my mother Bali. So, I am in middle of Hindu Dharma di Bali and Islam. Or as you say Muslim. Indonesia founded as democratic based on unity in diversity. In Indonesia, some 400 groups of people here. We are young democratic nation. We have very rich culture and history. Orang Belanda know this best. Ask your Dutch friend.

Why you ask about to display pusaka? For Indonesian to show pusaka we hope understanding of our culture. Many museum show pusaka. Is it bad when I show my own family pusaka? I am very happy my family keep many things. When I grow up these things talk to me as little boy. As man now they talk more.

Maybe these keris talk to you.
Old 14th July 2006, 09:18 PM   #7
nechesh

Quote:
Pak Nechech,

My father Bugis, my mother Bali. So, I am in middle of Hindu Dharma di Bali and Islam. Or as you say Muslim. Indonesia founded as democratic based on unity in diversity. In Indonesia, some 400 groups of people here. We are young democratic nation. We have very rich culture and history. Orang Belanda know this best. Ask your Dutch friend.
So i guess what you are saying is that you come from a mixed marriage. Forgive me, but i was just trying to dtermine whether you spoke of the keris from a Muslim or Hindu perspective since i would image that there are subtle differences in the way one would relate to the keris depending upon one's spiritual beliefs. Still, i don't quite see how someone can be both a Hindu and a Muslim. I am very aware that you have a very rich, multi-layered culture and history. I am not sure who you mean by my Dutch friend.

Quote:
Why you ask about to display pusaka? For Indonesian to show pusaka we hope understanding of our culture. Many museum show pusaka. Is it bad when I show my own family pusaka? I am very happy my family keep many things. When I grow up these things talk to me as little boy. As man now they talk more.
Maybe these keris talk to you.
Please correct me if i am wrong, but i would think that keris pusaka that are in museums would no longer really be active pusaka. If they were they would still be with the families, wouldn't they? I would think that once in a museum the chain of the pusaka is somewhat broken.
I would never tell another that it is "good" or "bad" to place their family's pusaka (or anything they own) on display to the public. That is between you, your relatives and your ancestors. It just seems odd to me. I ask the question of you because i am trying to determine what IS the tradition about this within your culture. It has been my understanding that in Javanese culture it is just not done, that one's pusaka, though a matter of intense family pride, is never put on public display like this. The internet is not the same as showing friends and acquaintances who might visit your home. Anyone can look at these, even people you don't like or those who have animosity or ill will towards you. They can also take these images and use them anyway they like. This is why it seems odd to me. What i am trying to determine is if i am correct about the tradition of this in Jawa and if that tradition is perhaps different in different parts of Indonesia.
Old 14th July 2006, 09:24 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Thank you I find these fascinating, I like B the most. They have the mystery I see in some African items.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 09:42 PM   #9
nechesh

Agreed Tim. This type of keris has been shrouded in mystery for some time. Have you looked at the one's up on Alan's website?
Old 15th July 2006, 01:56 AM   #10
Mudi

Pagi Pak Nechesh

Mixed marriage. I never think of that. Both parents Indonesian and nice brown skin! In Indonesia is normal for sons to follow father. My KTP identity card say Muslim for me. Permisi Pak no more to public discuss about religion. In warung we drink together kopi and talk religion OK. Boss forum say this. In Bali Hindu more way of life than religion. When I say Dutch friend I only mean ask person from Netherlands about our history. They have best museums about Indonesian culture.

Pusaka not about power. Pusaka mean what in English is word heirloom. Do you have book Art of Indonesia? The title of book is Art of Indonesia Pusaka and all in book from National Museum in Jakarta. We call this museum museum gajah because of big elephants out front this museum. In Java in Kraton pusaka kraton special ceremony and procession of pusaka for all to see. In Italy mona lisa still pusaka for people from Italy but on wall in museum Paris France. In Indonesia some pusaka with power and for use in ceremony kept private. This because fear to use power in not right way. Some lontar kept locked because information is dangerous if wrong person have this knowledge. This lontar more than pusaka.

I not worry to show keris. Keris is heart of Indonesia. If we keep all our keris away and not seen by other people from world around then they not learn about us and our culture. Some primitive culture believe photo can take power away. Some people in Indonesia still believe that. I do not believe that and like to show keris. I am teacher. For me good teacher mean he is good student and love to learn new thing. He so excited with what he learn that he want to tell others about that. Teacher is not to train student. That is job of instructor. A good teacher also learn from student. I believe all men teacher in some way. Indonesia founded on idea of unity in diversity. To make unity we must share our culture with our brothers. Brothers many Indonesians think all men brothers. I hope I explain OK.
Old 15th July 2006, 06:10 AM   #11
nechesh

Pak Mudi, i commend you for your desire to teach and inform the world about Indonesian culture. Frankly i would much rather hear about your history from native Indonesians than from the Dutch, though it is true that they probably have the finest keris collections in the world in their museums. But the history of a people told by their conquerers and colonizers can often be misleading.
I think that pusaka has everything to do with power. On a royal level it deals with the power and right of rule amongst othe things. On lesser class levels it deals with the power of a kinship group, passed from generation to generation.
The Mona Lisa is NOT pusaka. One might look at it as a national treasure, but as you point out, which nation. DaVinci was Italian, yet it resides in the Louvre in France. I think at this point it has become such an icon that it can be considered a world treasure. But it is not the heirloom of any kinship group and does not serve the same purpose in Italian or world culture (if there is such a thing) as pusaka.
When the royal regala is presented in ceremony and there is a procession of teh royal pusaka you really don't believe this is about power? Possession of the royal regala asserts ones right to rule. This has everything to do with power.
The word pusaka is used in a number of ways in the description of keris and other heirloom items. For some it describes the quality of the keris. For others it is more personal. I have heard some people argue that only royal and court pieces can truly be considered pusaka. Others will argue that keris on any class level that are owned and passed down within any kinship group also qualify as pusaka. I tend to favor this second argument. If a keris is sitting on permanent display in a museum is it still serving it's purpose as a pusaka for anyone's kinship group? We call it pusaka in respect for it's past history or the incredible quality of it's workmanship, but hasn't it's chain of power been broken?
Old 15th July 2006, 06:50 AM   #12
Mudi

I am sorry Pak Nechesh. Pusaka mean leave behind. Look kamus bahasa Indonesia. It mean heirloom and that all. Pusaka have nothing to do with power. If western way is to make more of word pusaka then OK but not the meaning in Indonesia. Some pusaka have power. Not all pusaka have power. Most pusaka have no power. I can only say about pusaka what I know and learn in my culture. Sorry again for this not understanding.
Old 15th July 2006, 07:57 AM   #13
nechesh

Pak Mudi, translation of language is often inadequate. I have found translations for pusaka as "heirloom" and "legacy". You suggest that all it means is to "leave behind". None of these express the complexity of pusaka. The Western way of understanding this would be to just except it as "heirloom" as we understand it here in our culture. I believe pusaka implies more than that.
I think perhaps you are misunderstanding my use of the word "power". This is not to say that every keris pusaka has magickal powers, that it can do tricks, fly through the air or vanquish ones enemies. Power can be much more subtle than that. When any object is passed down from one generation to another it must accumulate the power generated by that kinship group, it's history, its aspirations and desires, its will to survive and prosper. To inherit these things is to be empowered by them. On the royal class level this power is perhap more tangible. We are now dealing with affairs of state, not just family. Of course a keris isn't just ANY object. It is created with great intention and treated with great respect, fed with oils and incense and prayers in the great hope of seeing these intentions come to pass. All of this is passed along with the keris pusaka from generation to generation with a general concensus within that particular kinship group that the keris pusaka holds this history and this energy. That, my friend, when passed from one generation to the next, is a transferrence of POWER.
I am sorry if i explained this inadequately before, but i hope you see my point clearer now.
Old 15th July 2006, 08:39 AM   #14
Mudi

Pak Nechesh

Your words well done. Like music to me! I agree with all you say until you say

That, my friend, when passed from one generation to the next, is a transferrence of POWER.

It is not power that go from one generation to next. It is influence, reason, knowledge, enlightement and understanding that pass. Even old man working sawah can have this. If you say this is power then OK I understand. For me power mean control over other people. I think maybe we say same thing different way.

Thank you for what you write. I copy it and keep it. You say

To inherit these things is to be empowered by them.

Yes. That is true. Pusaka is something from history that we can see, touch and know to be alsi. With pusaka history is more than story. Pusaka make history live. Thank you again for so good words to say about pusaka.

Thank you also to call me friend. You are kind polite and patient. I think you lucky to have keris. I think keris with you happy also!
Old 15th July 2006, 02:58 PM   #15
Mark

Exclamation

Keris threads are alway very difficult to moderate, because of the inseparable mystic element.

However, it is time for me to say clearly - this discussion is drifting too far off-topic. The debate about what is and what is not a pusaka, what can and cannot be done with a pusaka, heritage, religious preference, etc., etc., etc., is not only something that has been gone through uncountable times on the forum, but one that has consistently ended up in a flame war and/or bad feelings. No one on this forum should have to feel that they must defend their cultural or religious beliefs. Enough.

If anyone wants to learn about pusaka, search the word on the forum. You will get more than you can read.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 04:15 PM   #16
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I JUST THOUGHT OF A QUESTION WHICH HAS BEEN MISSED PERHAPS

IF A MAN HAS SEVERAL SONS HE WOULD PASS THE BEST PUSAKA ON TO A SON. I WOULD THINK THIS WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN HONOR TO THE SON CHOSEN. IS THERE A TRADITION THAT SAYS WHO GETS THE BEST FAMILY KERIS OR IS THE OWNER FREE TO CHOOSE. OFTEN IN OUR SOCIETY THINGS GO TO THE FIRST BORN SON BUT A FATHER IN ANY COUNTRY WOULD SURELY PREFER TO GIVE HIS PUSAKA TO THE ONE WHO WOULD TREASURE IT AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT BEST AND KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY. TO GIVE IT TO A WAYWARD SON WHO WOULD ONLY SELL IT OR NEGLECT IT EVEN IF IT WAS TRADITION WOULD BE A HARD THING TO DO. I SUSPECT THAT WHO GETS THE BEST KERIS MAY SOMETIMES CAUSE HARD FEELINGS IN FAMILYS FROM TIME TO TIME AS PEOPLE OFTEN SAY HE WAS THE FAVORITE. BUT THERE IS USUALLY A GOOD REASON ONE PERSON IS A FAVORITE AND BEING OPENLY JEALOUS WILL EARN A PERSON LESS FAVOR STILL, AFTER ALL IT IS THE OWNERS CHOICE AND SHOULD BE RESPECTED.

I GUESS THAT OWNING THE BEST KERIS PUSAKA WOULD NOT GIVE YOU ANY POWER IN THE FAMILY GROUP. BUT OFTEN IT WOULD BE PASSED DOWN FROM THE PRESENT HEAD OF THE FAMILY TO THE ONE WHO WOULD BE BEST ABLE TO BECOME THE NEW HEAD OF THE FAMILY SO COULD BE CONSIDERED SYMBOLIC OF THE PASSING OF POWER. THE ABILITY OF A FAMILY TO PRODUCE, CHOOSE AND FOLLOW GOOD LEADERS IS WHAT USUALLY DETERMINES A FAMILYS PROSPERITY ESPECIALLY IN PARTS OF THE WORLD WHERE COMPETICIAN IS VERY TOUGH.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 05:42 PM   #17
BSMStar

Default Thank you for sharing!

Mudi,

Thank you for sharing these fascinating keris!

Can you give us an idea of the size or lengths of these four keris?

Can you tell me anything about this one?
Attached Images

BSMStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 05:51 PM   #18
Dajak

Hi here a different type
I was told that this type was also found under a
stupa from the burobudur tempel on java
and could be from 900

This was told to me by mister Polak (Importent art dealer in The Netherlands)
in an show on TV in 1982 and try to buy it from me .

And schowing this to someone that came from Indonesia in Den Haag (Netherlands) he stil could feel the power that s in this chunderik also Ruud Greve like this one a lot
Attached Images

Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 03:03 AM   #19
Mudi

BSMStar the short one keris A is 14 cm and the long one keris D is 21.5 cm. Your keris is keris Majapahit but not sure how old. I never see with nickel pamor if really old. Good to look keris.

Pak Dajak your piece very nice. I never see like this before. Hope that Pak Maisey make comment. You lucky to have.
Old 2nd August 2006, 03:12 PM   #20
BSMStar

[QUOTE=Mudi]BSMStar Your keris is keris Majapahit but not sure how old. I never see with nickel pamor if really old. Good to look keris.QUOTE]

Mudi, do you think this keris is Maduran?
BSMStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:09 AM   #21
Jussi M.

Back to surface...
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 03:26 AM   #22
PenangsangII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
So i guess what you are saying is that you come from a mixed marriage. Forgive me, but i was just trying to dtermine whether you spoke of the keris from a Muslim or Hindu perspective since i would image that there are subtle differences in the way one would relate to the keris depending upon one's spiritual beliefs. Still, i don't quite see how someone can be both a Hindu and a Muslim. I am very aware that you have a very rich, multi-layered culture and history. I am not sure who you mean by my Dutch friend.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but i would think that keris pusaka that are in museums would no longer really be active pusaka. If they were they would still be with the families, wouldn't they? I would think that once in a museum the chain of the pusaka is somewhat broken.
I would never tell another that it is "good" or "bad" to place their family's pusaka (or anything they own) on display to the public. That is between you, your relatives and your ancestors. It just seems odd to me. I ask the question of you because i am trying to determine what IS the tradition about this within your culture. It has been my understanding that in Javanese culture it is just not done, that one's pusaka, though a matter of intense family pride, is never put on public display like this. The internet is not the same as showing friends and acquaintances who might visit your home. Anyone can look at these, even people you don't like or those who have animosity or ill will towards you. They can also take these images and use them anyway they like. This is why it seems odd to me. What i am trying to determine is if i am correct about the tradition of this in Jawa and if that tradition is perhaps different in different parts of Indonesia.
Nechesh,

Your knowledge with regards to the tradition of keris pusaka is outstanding, whilst many Indonesians (or Malauysians or Southern Thai) themselves have strayed away from the ancestors way of life.

Thank you for reminding us.
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 05:01 AM   #23
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Nechesh,

Your knowledge with regards to the tradition of keris pusaka is outstanding, whilst many Indonesians (or Malauysians or Southern Thai) themselves have strayed away from the ancestors way of life.

Thank you for reminding us.
Thanks for your kind comments Penangsang (yes, i was Nechesh on these forums in a previous life ). Interesting to see this thread resurface after so many years. I don't think Mark quite understood the conversation Mudi and i were having at the time or the mutual understanding we were attempting to forge. Sometimes it take a little bit longer to bridge the barriers of language and culture to fully comprehend what each party is actually saying. :-)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:22 AM   #24
Jussi M.

Additional information and pictures on keris sajen on the internet:

Mr. Maisey´s site

The Old Blades site
Old 14th March 2011, 11:17 AM   #25
Jussi M.

up
Old 27th November 2015, 09:30 PM   #26
Marcus

Default Just in from Bali

Comments?

When the package was opened the room filled with smells of spice and incense.
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 10:38 AM   #27
Sajen

Nice, (very?) old keris sajen pijitan.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 10:42 AM   #28
Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I JUST THOUGHT OF A QUESTION WHICH HAS BEEN MISSED PERHAPS

IF A MAN HAS SEVERAL SONS HE WOULD PASS THE BEST PUSAKA ON TO A SON. I WOULD THINK THIS WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN HONOR TO THE SON CHOSEN. IS THERE A TRADITION THAT SAYS WHO GETS THE BEST FAMILY KERIS OR IS THE OWNER FREE TO CHOOSE. OFTEN IN OUR SOCIETY THINGS GO TO THE FIRST BORN SON BUT A FATHER IN ANY COUNTRY WOULD SURELY PREFER TO GIVE HIS PUSAKA TO THE ONE WHO WOULD TREASURE IT AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT BEST AND KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY.

in my case, my grandfather had one fine keris (anak alang) pusaka with white "kekmo" jawa demam hilt.When he passed away many years ago, it was lying around the house with nobody interested in it , so I simply took it.
and now it is with me ever since and it started my interest to collect keris because of it. And oh, I'm the eldest in the family so I guess I have the first right to choose.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 06:34 PM   #29
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
in my case, my grandfather had one fine keris (anak alang) pusaka with white "kekmo" jawa demam hilt.When he passed away many years ago, it was lying around the house with nobody interested in it , so I simply took it.
and now it is with me ever since and it started my interest to collect keris because of it. And oh, I'm the eldest in the family so I guess I have the first right to choose.
I believe Green has pointed to a sad truth that currently exists within the culture, that fewer and fewer of the next generation are truly interested in keris as a cultural icon and traditional pusaka. I am happy to hear that this keris of your grandfather was able to ignite your own interest Green.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 01:44 AM   #30
Green

David;

It's very true that in case of Malaysia at least, the interest is very very small in terms of numbers, but on the bright side, this small but very enthusiastic group of keris lovers and collectors keep the tradition . Every so often there are keris festivals and competitions to keep the interest going and there are thankfully still a few keris makers around.

Ironically, I kinda like it this way rather than having mass mania where keris will be in danger of becoming commercialised and keris makers taking opportunity to make quick bucks by making keris with dodgy workmaship.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote