Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th November 2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Jerseyman

Default Indigenous Taiwanese Knives

I recently came across this extremely informative blog post on Taiwanese knives. I'm not sure it's been posted here, so I thought I'd show the link. I think the writer's done an amazing job.

https://historybitz.blog/2020/08/13/...wanese-knives/
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 03:48 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Excellent!!!

Outstanding! The best information I've read on this subject. Too bad the author is not mentioned.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 05:30 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

That 'richly decorated' Paiwan knife near the bottom of the page is a picture I took of one that was in my possession.
I have since sold it on.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 01:39 PM   #4
kronckew

Taiwanese knives/swords have been discussed at length here before. The SEARCH function is 6our friend.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 04:59 PM   #5
Jerseyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Outstanding! The best information I've read on this subject. Too bad the author is not mentioned.
I believe the author is named Alex Cheng. I'm with you, it's great to have so much detailed and researched information in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
Taiwanese knives/swords have been discussed at length here before. The SEARCH function is 6our friend.
I completely agree. But it's also useful to keep up with the research of others, particularly if they're not yet members of the forum.
Old 4th December 2020, 05:38 PM   #6
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyman
I completely agree. But it's also useful to keep up with the research of others, particularly if they're not yet members of the forum.
New users (and some of us old farts, me included) sometimes need a reminder that we DO have a wealth of knowledge already here on the forum, if you use the right keywords in the search function. Adding NEW info and correcting old is of course a primary function of the discussion here. Judicial use of the Search function before posting a query makes this easier to phrase the post and avoids some duplication.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 11:08 AM   #7
Jerseyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
New users (and some of us old farts, me included) sometimes need a reminder that we DO have a wealth of knowledge already here on the forum, if you use the right keywords in the search function. Adding NEW info and correcting old is of course a primary function of the discussion here. Judicial use of the Search function before posting a query makes this easier to phrase the post and avoids some duplication.
You're absolutely right of course. I do think one of the hardest things is exactly that though - knowing which search terms to use, particularly if you're starting from a position of little knowledge. Not sure if there's ever a way to mitigate that, which is where the older - no, let's say more experienced - members' willingness to respond to the millionth inquiry identifying a kaskara is so valuable.