Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 21st December 2023, 03:35 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Hunting sword - Hirschfanger for comments

A friend acquired this one and would like to know whatever possible about it.
Not much to introduce, except for what it looks like four (?) letters (rara ?) engraved above that creature. Could it be the smith's mark ?
Thank you for your Gentlemen's help.

Attached Images

Old 21st December 2023, 06:06 PM   #2
corrado26

I think it's a deer fleeing in terror after a grenade explodes or something similar
Attached Images

Old 21st December 2023, 06:23 PM   #3
fernando

Noted, Udo; thanks a lot for the perspective .
Old 21st December 2023, 07:50 PM   #4
Akanthus

I would say a Hunting sword of the second quarter of the 18th. century ,most probably German.The knuckle bow with a figure in the middle,the upper monster head and the decorated shell guard is typical for this time.The decoation lines in the upper part of the blade and the stylized stag ( antlers over the back) smells like Solingen.I wonder if there isn't the rose on the back of the blade.Also the decor of the grip,remembering of asiatic painting ,was made in Solingen.Certainly the weapon was used mainly for presantation and not for rough hunting.And yes, these kind of weapons are also loved by officers, mainly in the navy.
Old 21st December 2023, 08:17 PM   #5
fernando

Thank you so much for your input, Akanthus ! My friend is reading these notes !
Old 23rd December 2023, 04:02 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most attractive example of 'hirschfanger' , hunting hanger and I agree likely in first half 18th c. There can be little doubt the blade is a Solingen product as from the beginning of the 18th c. the swordsmiths there established a virtual monopoly for supply of blades to the cutlers of Europe (Blackmore, "Hunting Weapons", 1971, p.41).

The styling of the hilt is of course basically as found through Germany, and followed basically throughout Europe with the guard shell extending down from hilt to provide palate for the high relief themes often employed on these.
The decorative convention of the grip material does resemble 'chinoserie', the European favor for Oriental styling in the 18th c.

The blade decoration follows the often elaborate themes including both mystical and religious elements reflecting the profoundly serious and celebrated art of 'the hunt' which was elaborately followed by the gentry and nobility. While often there were mystical devices and symbolism as well as accompanying interlaced strapwork designs (following talismanic forms of Eastern Europe), sprays of foliage and sometimes martial trophies also were used.

In this case, I am wondering if the dynamic image of the stag falling might be hubris oriented? that is, the rays might suggest, rather than explosion, the 'point of hit'.....?
in other words, suggesting a stag hit by shot while 'on the run', more notable feat of a skilled hunter.

These hangers were actually also very much 'court swords', which is why they are typically included in reference material on these. While elaborately decorated, it seems that often this did not preclude their wear on the hunt for fear of damage from hard use. I had always thought that the task of field dressing was to the accompanying 'employees' of the noble figures, and that the actual 'kill' was seldom using these hangers.
Old 23rd December 2023, 04:25 PM   #7
fernando

Noted Jim; thanks much.
Old 23rd December 2023, 06:49 PM   #8
Akanthus

Hello Jim,
It was the privileg of the ruler to kill the stag with the edged weapon when it was caught and helt by the dogs.I was always astonished how a often elderly untrained man would manage it to kill a wild stag that certainly defenses himself by kicking and using his antlers.Visiting the hunting castle od Friedrich Wilhelm I.,the father of Friedrich II ( the great ) in Wusterhausen near Berlin, i found a picture showing him while killing a stag finaly.The stag was hold by hunters to the ground ,so that the rather well-built king was endangered in no way .Often the tendons of the back legs where cut so that the animal had no chance to run away.That was made wirh a bent hunting sword we call Praxe.The deadly strike was then made with the straight hunting sword ,the Hirschfänger.Yes ,cruel procedures and not imaginable in our times.I think a weapon to be used for these things must have a sufficient stability .These with rather short blades,tiny and fine hilts or porcelain grips where certainly made for presentation of the rank of the owner than for hunting use.
Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2023, 07:24 PM   #9
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanthus View Post
... .Yes ,cruel procedures and not imaginable in our times...
So, save us from the details !
Closed Thread