Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2022, 10:34 AM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default YNTE DOMINE EN PEXAVI ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
... I was given to understand that the earlier Bilbo models used two screws instead of four to fasten the guard plates. 1720 seems fairly early, yet I see four screws... So is this assumption about the number of screws relating to the date incorrect, am I incorrect in thinking 1720 is early, or is the hilt from a later date?
Yes, it all indicates that the blade is older than the hilt, as often occurs ... and vice versa.
I notice that inscription has not yet been subject to discussion. Some kind of unintelligible expression in a Latin (Domine) approach, so hard, or impossible ?, to fully translate.
Even more unique is that, precisely the same inscription is in a sword (i think sold) out there, in what appears to be a Spanish double shell guard sword.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:31 AM   #2
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Yes, it all indicates that the blade is older than the hilt, as often occurs ... and vice versa.
I notice that inscription has not yet been subject to discussion. Some kind of unintelligible expression in a Latin (Domine) approach, so hard, or impossible ?, to fully translate.
Even more unique is that, precisely the same inscription is in a sword (i think sold) out there, in what appears to be a Spanish double shell guard sword.
In te Domine speravi non confundar in aeternum (Lat, “ In Thee, O Lord, have I put my trust, let me never be put to confusion”). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_31 .
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:10 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Ah ... thank you so much, Victrix .
With that awkward spelling, i would never maket it ... neither would the translating engine.

Just to compare:

"IN TE DOMINE, SPERAVI, NON CONFUNDAR IN AETERNUM"

With:

"YNTE º DOMINE º EN º PEXAVI º , NO º CON º FUNDAN º YNETEXNU".

Thanks again .
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote