Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st May 2020, 06:52 PM   #1
drac2k

Default African Shona and Christmas Tree Axes ?

I just purchased these 2 axes; I believe one to be a Shona ax. It measures approx. 20" long and the blade, as many of these, are made from an old European food chopper that is 3.5" x 6 inches.
The other ax is very substantial with a large heavy blade that measures 13.5" x 3.25"(the actual crescent part of the blade). It would be for cleaving and strangely enough, judging by its balance, possibly for throwing, as both the inner and outer edges are sharp.
I can not find another one exactly like it, but what is driving me crazy is the paint job that makes it look like a Christmas Tree Ornament! Was it decorated that way for a wedding, a funeral, or an initiation ceremony or did some dummy think it was a good idea before he passed out drunk? I am unable to find a similarly painted ax; has anyone else?
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Kubur

I think you are extremely lucky, it's a very good catch.

You should google Zimbabwe rock art, not Christmas tree...

Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 03:32 PM   #3
drac2k

That is an interesting theory; when I first viewed your suggestion, I thought you were joking, as I had associated all cave and rock paintings as being thousands of years old. I looked up Zimbabwe Rock Paintings and to my surprise, I found that the San or the Bushmen still exist; their artwork is stunning!
I couldn't find any examples of their artwork on anything other than stone, but I am still looking; the first thing I need to do is confirm that the ax type is from that area.
Thanks for pointing me in that direction!
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote