Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2019, 10:32 PM   #1
P14

Default Cannonball question

Hi,
Are these cannonballs? They are cast iron. I initially thought they were ball grenades, but they are completely solid. I haven't seen a cannonball with what looks like a bronze stud in it before.
Each are just under 3.5” in diameter making them 6 pounders.
Can anyone shed some light on these?
Thanks
Attached Images

P14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:39 AM   #2
M ELEY

Hmm. Those are interesting. My initial thought was that they might be one of the many cannonball look-alikes (shot puts, counter weights, etc), but then I wasn't so sure. Could these be coehorn shells filled with metal? I've seen this before. I once had a Confederate shell filled completely with lead. The protruding bronze could be sprue? Or were they bar or chain shot, but cut down over time? Or are they just the top of a flagpole? Hopefully those more knowledgeable on ordnance will chime in-
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:31 AM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum, P14 .
So you've got a riddle there
If as you say this 'thing' has circa 3 1/2 " as for a 6 pounder solid shot, it should weigh circa 2 600 grams (5 3/4 pounds).
If it were a howitzer ammo (bomb=grenade) should be much lighter, even if fully loaded with explosives.
But then, being a solid shot, it should (could) have a visible seam mark from the casting and, what looks to be a fuse plug ... is not.
Could you tell us more about the 'bronze' studs ? Do they appear to be 'unpluggable', or do they look definitely fixed ?
You know there are iron balls out there made for purposes other than ammo ... like windmill vane counterweights and other.
I am certain not to have helped a lot ... but i have tried hard .

-
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 06:57 PM   #4
P14

Many thanks
I got a chance to have a look in an old museum collection today and found another 6 pounder and a 24 pounder, each ball with a similar stud (1st attached image of the museum’s 6 pounder, 2nd the 24 Pounder). Sadly, no further info available. What are the odds of the museum also having such similar balls?
Fernando, thank you for the image. The studs must be part of the manufacture process. It vaguely looks like the mould seam runs around the balls’ circumference, 90 from the stud but it’s hard to tell. The stud is very solid and sprue-like, roughly 1/2" wide. M ELEY, all of those are ideas seem quite plausible the 3 1/2 ”-ish ball with the stud weighs 2707g, I also have a known 6-Pdr wreck recovered ball which weighs roughly 2300g so maybe the stud one is filled with bronze? There is only 1 stud, same with the examples in the museum.
Also attached is an image of some bar shots acquired at a similar time.
Attached Images

P14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 11:13 AM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by P14
... Also attached is an image of some bar shots acquired at a similar time.
How i envy those. Still missing one in my ammo collection. If you happen to have one too many for spare, just let me know .
Old 4th April 2019, 02:45 PM   #6
CSinTX

If it is filled with lead grape shot leaving some void area, the resulting density might be similar to if it were solid steel. Or maybe it is a cannon ball but a replica just made to look like it is hollow.

Google images ,cannon ball plug hole, cannon ball wooden fuse, etc and you'll see other examples that look like yours. Click the images and many will lead to further discussion. Apparently one hole was a fill hole and one hole was a fuse hole that was kept plugged until use.

Last edited by CSinTX; 4th April 2019 at 02:59 PM.
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 01:18 AM   #7
Will M

the bronze plug would not spark while inserting it. Should be hollow for a charge.
Pre 1800 British cannon balls have a broad arrow mark deeply in them.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 04:29 AM   #8
CSinTX

Might try asking here- https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/88-bla...artillery.html
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 09:54 AM   #9
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
the bronze plug would not spark while inserting it. Should be hollow for a charge...
But Will ... it this is definitely a solid shot, confirmed by its weight and all, how does it feature a plug ?

Attached Images