Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th January 2022, 02:11 PM   #1
Jack Fletcher

Default Big Kaskara

Good Afternoon All

Thought I'd share with you my latest addition.
My initial feeling is its 20th Century.

The blade is big measuring 36inch but pretty flexible until you get to thr part where lines have been cut or forged into the blade. Fuller runs length of the blade.

Not sure why the markings have been cut into the fuller but also not sure if the handle has been repaired with the metal work or was made like that?

Scabbards seen better days as you can see and appears to be constructed with a fiberious wood, cloth and leather covered over the top of it.

Comments welcome.
Attached Images

Jack Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 10:34 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

Locally produced blade! Nice!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 10:42 AM   #3
David R

Nice example, the one I have has a cardboard core to the scabbard, which is common from the 1960's onwards I am told. I think the silver on the hilt is original.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 02:07 PM   #4
Edster

Jack,

Nice kaskara. The blade may have been locally made, but the photos suggest a sophistication not usual on local blades. The blade appears to have both distal and profile tapers. The center khor appears to taper as well. Above the "marks" could be a pseudo-ricasso. Still, there were/likely are high quality swordsmiths who made top notch blades.

The cross-guard had a crack on the bottom near the blade. This suggests it was made in the one-piece bent over method rather than the older 4-piece type. If that is the case the crossguard would be post-1940.

I've not seen an example the silver work before. Could be an original design, but influenced by the traditional dotted diamond motif.

Best,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 05:37 PM   #5
Jack Fletcher

Really appreciate the comments chaps and compliments.

Its definitely an interesting sword. Ed it does have a crack on both sides of the blade on the crossguard so definitely sounds like the 1 piece forged sword.
I was just suprised at the length of the blade and that its pretty flexible but is pretty sharp aswell so definitely made for use rather than tourist type things.
Jack Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote