Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 23rd May 2023, 02:03 AM   #1
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default small kris type blade dagger

I have an idea where this one is from but am not certain, my thoughts are Austrisn or German end of the 19thc to 1920s, Victorian era I suppose.
The blade is in very high polish, thick and like a razor along its cutting edge, the guard is nickel silver and the small ferrule with Greek fret repousse design on it is in 925 grade silver, the silver throat collar on the leather over wood sheath is in 925 grade silver, and sadly the silver end chape of the sheath is missing.
Is it a mans knife of a ladies muff dagger for self protection ??? who knows, it is certainly a quality piece wherever if is from.
size is just 9 inches long in sheath, the blade is 5 inches ,long and is oval section, can anybody place it for exact origin please ?. Snody
Attached Images

Maj-Biffy Snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2023, 06:02 AM   #2
Sajen

Hi Snody,
For me it is German and need to get moved to the European section!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2023, 07:07 AM   #3
Turkoman.khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj-Biffy Snodgrass View Post
I have an idea where this one is from but am not certain, my thoughts are Austrisn or German end of the 19thc to 1920s, Victorian era I suppose.
The blade is in very high polish, thick and like a razor along its cutting edge, the guard is nickel silver and the small ferrule with Greek fret repousse design on it is in 925 grade silver, the silver throat collar on the leather over wood sheath is in 925 grade silver, and sadly the silver end chape of the sheath is missing.
Is it a mans knife of a ladies muff dagger for self protection ??? who knows, it is certainly a quality piece wherever if is from.
size is just 9 inches long in sheath, the blade is 5 inches ,long and is oval section, can anybody place it for exact origin please ?. Snody
Hello Snody.
I've always liked those small, dainty wavy-bladed knives. I have a similar one in my collection. I think Detlef is right and it's Germany. Somewhere I came across information that such knives were worn by men.
Turkoman.khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2023, 02:09 PM   #4
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default Ok very much for confirming my thuouts on it, thanks to you both

German it is then, how to move it to the Euro section i'm not sure of, but sure someone will do it anyway. snody.
Old 23rd May 2023, 08:54 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

So let's move it .
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2023, 02:14 PM   #6
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default Go ahead Fernando.

Old 24th May 2023, 02:51 PM   #7
M ELEY

You mentioned a 'muff dagger' and that's what I was thinking. The 'soiled doves' of the American west carried small daggers like this strapped to their leg for use when a customer got unruly. Were it a little bigger, I'd say a gambler's boot dirk, but the size leads more to a concealed implement. No expert, just my 2 cents...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2023, 06:13 PM   #8
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default Indeed

, I would say so !! muff knife maybe, garter or stocking knife it could well be, property of a German lady of questionable night time repute's knife from the early Reeperbahn days of early 20thc Hamburg, or a German lady of the upper echelons self protection knife, either way it would have a storey to tell if it could speak no doubt, certainly would not like to be on the sharp end of it !! .
Old 24th May 2023, 07:46 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is really an intriguing piece, as might be expected from the hidden arms locker of the Major While it may be 19th century, it seems done in the manner of 18th century items, and here I would note the European fascination with exotica, especially 'oriental' which covered pretty much Middle East, India and the Orient.
Note the Chinese style motif on the ferrule.
The undulating blade of course recalls the keris as noted.
Small swords of the 18th century often had such Oriental motif known as 'chinoserie'. There were even Chinese artisans in Europe working in shops in the mounting and hilt decoration of these swords.

The wavy blade to me suggests more of a male attribution , more of the kind of a knife that would be 'shown off' as the inclination of mens fashion in weaponry.
As far as I have known, I have only heard of muff pistols (from womens hand warmers) but not familiar with the dagger term.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2023, 04:16 PM   #10
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default Thanks Jim.

Thanks for your interesting take on this lovely little dagger Jim, could well be made for a man, either way it is a nice piece and very well made, old to, could even be 19thc, would not surprize me if it were, if anyone has a small silver or nickel scabbard chape that would fit it and is in UK I would be interested to purchase it, it would finish it nicely before I part from it. Snody
Old 25th May 2023, 04:46 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Snody, you have PM.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2023, 04:57 PM   #12
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default Thanks.. I have replied.

Thanks