Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd September 2023, 10:27 AM   #1
CutlassCollector

Nice axe Jim.

I have seen a boarding axe with a similar 4-leaf clover stamp said to be Irish in origin but have never been able to confirm that.

In Henry Kauffman's 'American Axes' he shows this example and states 'trade axe excavated in NY state and bearing the lobed mark found on a number of trade axes'. But there is no further information other than that.

I think that, if the maker was sophisticated enough to have a 'clover' stamp for repeated use, then he would also have had letter stamps or a name stamp. So the crude letters are probably added later and more likely indicate a personal possession.

Are there any signs of a seam in way or the blade within the eye that would indicate its construction?

It seems a little too even to be pure hand made so I'm thinking maybe early 19th when blacksmiths were using water or steam driven power hammers.
Attached Images

Last edited by CutlassCollector; 23rd September 2023 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 04:09 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you CC for the great input! It seems the clover notion is pretty viable and of course Irish association seems likely for obvious reasons. However the other option is the Dutch 'kleeblatt', which is a four leaf clover that seems to commonly occur on the quillon terminals of various swords. It has never been clear what this means, but it is a distinct consistency which seems to have been present in 17th into 18th c.

As the Dutch were of course prevalent in northeast America, especially New York, this presents interesting possibilities. As the profile of this axe head seems to be pretty well visually a match for the example in Nuemann and several other references as noted, that was pretty much my benchmark.
While the period broadly suggests 1700-1800 naturally those finite numbers are pretty negotiable, and your suggestion of early 19th seems of course pretty plausible.

As I note, Im pretty new to this field, so I cant speak with any particular authority, but as far as construction, in the top view a seam extends along the blade which I thought would concur with the fold over construction method. I had thought the type of power hammers you describe were as early as 17th c. and were well known in Solingen, but not sure how much in use in the colonies as yet pretty remote.

The crudely applied letters, personal initials were typically two, or at best three....but four...I thought must be an acronym for some organization or firm. Whatever the case, the configuration in placement seems correct for the practice.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 11:31 PM   #3
M ELEY

Hello folks! I was looking at H & K's tomahawk book and did see an early Dutch example with a 'flower' marking, but it had 7 petals. Still very similar...

CC, you bring up a good point as to this possibly being an early triphammer cast head as the lines are so clean. In the early 19th, these patterns were still being used and being that Jim picked it up west of the Rockies, this was exactly when the fur trade went into high gear after the Louisiana Purchase. The Astoria Fur Company and Manuel Lisa's Missouri Fur Trade Company were vying
for the trade at this time. If only this piece could talk, imagine the stories!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2023, 01:12 AM   #4
werecow

Interesting that you mention the Dutch Jim; my mind went to the Dutch Walloon swords.

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2023, 03:44 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Interesting that you mention the Dutch Jim; my mind went to the Dutch Walloon swords.

Yup, thats the clover I was thinking of!
Old 24th September 2023, 09:47 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Just browsing through Hothem (p.84) and a round eye example remarkably similar is shown as c. 1750 and with a six petal flower in this manner in same blade location, noting probable Austrian origin (no further explanation, however Seven Years War comes to mind).
Old 4th October 2023, 11:01 AM   #7
C4RL

Hello, I'm a Brit & have lived in Spain since 95, I've have had an interest in edged tools for a long time, I have a large collection of hatchets from this & surrounding counties.

I'd say the example you have originated in Spain or Portugal, possibly France & is carbon steel, I imagine 100 years old maximum, production line produced not blacksmith , the eye is the giveaway to it being cast not "wrap" forged. They are pretty common here in these three countries just like your example.

It's a hatchet, not a tomahawk, not a weapon (thought you are free to use it as you wish ).

I have many examples thought I can't shed light on your particular marking (the letters are owners initials), there were hundreds of different ones.
I also have older wrought iron hatchets that were produced in the Basque region of Spain where ore was mined, a big industry evolved making heads that were transported across "the pond" to be used for trading, loose heads packed in barrels.

Some images. (I can upload many more images, thought these are farm/smallholder tools not weapons ). Showing various cast & wrought examples, I can upload more of my examples if anyone is interested, if it's not too far off topic. Thanks.
Attached Images

C4RL is offline   Reply With Quote