Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 7th October 2018, 02:22 AM   #1
peregrine

Default Is this a Kris Holder

Can you please tell me if this is a Kris holder? If so, how old? Any additional information is appreciated?

Thank you.
Attached Images

peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2018, 11:53 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, i've never seen this little fellow before as a keris holder, but that doesn't really mean anything as i have seen a few rather unique figures employed for the job. I think you should have shown it with a keris in place. I would image it is held in place by the two parts of the beard. Clever design. I quite like it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 08:29 PM   #3
Sajen

Whatever it is, it's rather recent!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 09:25 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

I do not recognise the style as anything that I can place.

Yes, I agree it does appear to be rather recent.

How tall is it?

What is the distance from the base hole to the middle of the upper support?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 10:57 PM   #5
peregrine

Default Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I do not recognise the style as anything that I can place.

Yes, I agree it does appear to be rather recent.

How tall is it?

What is the distance from the base hole to the middle of the upper support?
It's exactly 18 inches tall from the bottom of the base to the top ear. It's 5 inches from the base of the holder to his hands.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:58 PM   #6
peregrine

Default Measurements

It's 18 inches from the bottom base to the top ear and 5 inches from the base of the holder to the beard which acts as a cradle.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:06 PM   #7
peregrine

Default Additional Pictures

Here is an additional picture. It doesn't look like it is a Keris cradle. However, I posted another cradle in my collection. Any thoughts on this one?
Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 11th October 2018, 03:25 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

The second one is typical Bali.

Here is a link to an academic paper that might be of interest, scroll down you'll find some good pics.

https://www.mhsl.uab.edu/dt/2010m/castillo.pdf

I guess the first one could operate as a keris holder, but I have no idea from where.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 10:15 AM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

The size looks right and i don't know what else the configuration of the beard on this figure is supposed to hold if not a keris. Maybe some other type of weapon? Maybe a parasol?
But from my own perspective if you put a keris in it, it is now a keris holder. Perhaps not the most traditional attitude, but that is what i would use it for if it were mine.
As for age, i agree that this one might not be particularly old. Perhaps is might be vintage rather than antique, or perhaps not that old either. Again, i do not specifically collect holders for their own sake, but as a place to hold and display keris, so while it is nice to have an older and more traditional holder i personally don't mind strange one-off characters like this hanging around as long as they are useful to the purpose and i find them appealing. This little fellow is to my tastes and if he were mine i'd keep him around and put him to work.
Old 14th October 2018, 12:17 AM   #10
josh stout

Interesting. It looks like a more modern version of the same thing I happen to use as a kris holder, only I also make mine wear a Chinese helmet.

I bought mine in 1993 in Yogya, and have no information on its age or provenance. It was in a shop of largely all the same type of statue, only mine was the least obscene and was also the smallest. All the others had giant phalluses, with their own heads and horns, and often another phallus coming out of the body of the one on the tip of the first phallus. I think there was one with five fold fractal phalluses. The statues were often life size or larger, appearing too large for the normal tourist stuff. I have never seen anything like them again.
Attached Images

josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 12:25 AM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

It does seem to be a similar demon creature Josh. It seems yours was intended to hold something in both hands, though to does not look like the opening is wide enough to accommodate the width of a keris sheath.
Old 14th October 2018, 01:37 AM   #12
josh stout

No, a keris could not fit in the hands. Really have no idea what it is. It is made to look like a single carving, but the joins are carefully hidden in the manner of things copying even older examples. I think someone once told me it might be Torajan, but it certainly does not look like an ancestor effigy.
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote