Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th January 2017, 09:16 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

These are unusual Asian knives. To my mind not common. Not my area but I think you have two nice pieces that you will have trouble finding again.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Bob A

If it was mine, I'd try to find out if the hair was of human origin. If so, DNA testing might be interesting, assuming a follicle was available. (It's the blonde coloring that makes me most curious.)
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 11:12 PM   #3
drac2k

Thanks to all for the comments.The information that the one knife has a Buddhist guardian pommel may help in identifying it, as different regions that are practitioners of Buddhism, have slightly different artistic renditions .
In regards to the hair, I guess I just assumed that it was goat hair, especially since it was blondish in nature.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 12:19 AM   #4
Sajen

The one with hair look Naga or Kachin to my eyes. I think to see Burmese signs. Agree with you, the hair will be goats hair. The other one has a Philippine touch IMVHO. Nice finds!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 12:49 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi drac:

Two interesting knives. The one with the hair (I agree it is probably goat hair) is probably mainland SE Asia or neighboring India/China. The S-shaped linked design adjacent to the spine of the blade is similar to northern Thai/Lao decorations seen on blades from the hill tribes. Like Detlef, I think the lettering on the blade resembles Burmese script, although the letters are incomplete. So a Kachin/Naga or nearby ethnic group seems most likely for that one.

The other one is more of a mystery. Judging from the ferrule and bolster I don't think this one is from the Philppines, although it has that general "flavor." Barry has suggested that the figure on the pommel is related to Buddhism, and he may be right. That would rule out the Philippines, and turn attention to mainland SE Asia, Tibet, etc. I'm having trouble pinning it down any further than that. Nice knife.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 03:36 AM   #6
drac2k

Again, the comments are appreciated.In regards to the one that Sajen thought could be Philippine, I did read that there was and is a Taoist-Buddhist community in the Philippines.The Vietnam Veteran could have gone there for "R & R," and this would not have been unusual.It does have a Philippine look with a Chinese influence.
I think my range has been expanded by all of the viable possibilities offered;i.e., Philippines, Tibet, etc.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 12:26 PM   #7
kai

Hello Dave,

The temple guardian (?) head looks distinctly East Asian to me (EA Dhyana influence rather than Theravada or Tibetan Vajrayana). Considering the purported circumstances, my best bet would be that this knife originates with one of the many expat communities from southern Chinese coastal provinces: Maybe Cholon (Saigon), Bangkok, Manila, etc.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 01:26 PM   #8
kai

Sorry, double post.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote