Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th January 2024, 01:15 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Pedang.....Mataram blade?

I need some help from the experts on describing this pedang properly.
As I have VERY little knowledge in this area, plz bear with me.
It has been suggested the blade is very old......Mataram?
But this seems impossible as Mataram period is virtually ancient.

Can more be said on the pamor (an extremely complex matter from what I have read in discussions here)?
Can the lighter areas suggest nickel/meteoric content as noted in various references? I only find reference to one meteor 'event' in these areas long ago....can that material have supplied this blade industry over all this time?

The dress seems to be teak? or perhaps kayu sono.

It is a pedang 'sabet' (=slashing sword?).

Trying to figure the time frame on clearly modern dress, and how to describe the interesting pommel feature.

If I understand correctly (again limited understanding) blades, especially keris, were often remounted over generations, especially if a blade is a sacred heirloom (which most must have been) and termed 'Tosan Aji'?
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2024, 02:52 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Jim, i'm moving this to the correct forum.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2024, 07:27 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Jim, there are two distinct periods that are named as Mataram. The first was the Early Classical period in Central Jawa, pre-dating the move of power to East Jawa. The second period of Mataram began towards the end of the 16th century when Senopati assumed power from the Kingdom of Pajang, & set up his kraton in the area of Kota Gede, near present day Ngayogyakarta, in Central Jawa. Kota Gede was the location of the original Kingdom of Mataram, Early Classical Period.

Some will place the end of this second period of Mataram at the point where the Dutch began colonisation of Jawa, say, early 1700's, others will maintain that Mataram is still valid today, because the present Sultan of Ngayogyakarta (Jogja) is of the House of Mataram, as is the present Susuhunan of Surakarta.

Then there are those who want Mataram to end at the time of the partition of Jawa, & others who want it to end when British troops sacked the Kraton of Ngayogyakarta & held a blood bath --- the British troops were Indians under British officers and until today many Javanese people living in Central Jawa are particularly wary of anybody who is ethnic Indian.

I think this pedang might have come from me some years ago, I have forgotten it, but I recognise the style of the recent dress, from the photos I believe I would probably place this pedang blade as pre-1800, ie, late Mataram. My opinion might change if I had it in hand.

My current interpretation of the pommel is that it is a stylization of the Spirit of the Bengawan Solo (Solo River), the Rojomolo (Rajamala).
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2024, 08:17 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

David thank you, my apology for incorrect placement.

Alan thank you so much! Indeed this is from you quite a number of years ago, your memory is amazing. I truly appreciate your detailed description and explanations on this, I have misplaced my notes (getting worse as the years creep up on me .

It really is a magnificent blade, which I can appreciate even with the limited knowledge I have on these, pretty well reflects the high standards of the weapons you handle.

Very best regards,
Jim
Old 4th January 2024, 09:19 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Jim, I do appreciate your compliment, but in all honesty I must tell you that my memory sucks. Big time. I have difficulty remembering what I had for lunch yesterday. Ask me how much money I have in my pocket --- no idea at all.

My memory has never been that great, & it has only gotten worse as I have become older. My brother has a good memory, he used to be able to remember page numbers and paragraph placements & content of things he had read maybe years before. My memory functions like a library alpha-numeric system, it tells me where to find the info I need. Like an index.

But memory is not much involved in what I've written about your pedang, the scabbard work & design is something I can ID without difficulty, & the blade type is not something rare & unusual.

No memory, just familiarity with the field.
Old 4th January 2024, 11:40 PM   #6
Interested Party

It is a random pattern, correct? Is this one that has changed significantly with repeated cleanings?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2024, 04:51 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Alan.......the volume of what you may have forgotten is more than most will ever know! I've known you too long to think otherwise

I.P... excellent questions. On an old blade such as this apparently is, it would seem that the oiling treatments and reactions might alter somewhat the patterns or pamor inherent in it. As I have understood, while the pamor is of course 'random' in notable degree, it is the character of these various recognized pamors that correspond to the traditional beliefs in this culture.

I find these definitions of the character of each fascinating, and would like to know which of the pamor groups and significance might apply here.
Old 5th January 2024, 10:52 AM   #8
Peter Andeweg

Hello!

I believe the 'pedang' is Sumatran, traditionally washed and traditionally forged blade. I don't think there was a specific type of pamor constructed, but just made in the traditional way. Some symbols are forged into pedang blades such as 'Batu lapak', but it seems mostly a tradition of forging and strengthening the blade. Similar blades with a small fuller on the forte are often dated around the 18th century. This blade could be genuinely 18th century in my opinion.

The hilt seems a stylistic version of a 'makara', also often seen on Sumatran swords. Mostly varying in different motifs.
Peter Andeweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2024, 07:42 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Jim, it is a random pattern, some people would perhaps give it as kulit semangka (ngulit semongko) others would give it as wos wutah (beras wutah).

I favour wos wutah.

I doubt that much material has been lost from this blade, tosan aji other than keris, & sometimes tombak, are not subjected to the repeated washing & staining that keris get, the pamor plates are still largely undamaged, I believe that if felt with light passing of the finger tips along the blade, the pamor would feel relatively smooth if compared with the usual keris blade feel, this type of pamor seldom erodes to the same extent as some other types of pamor material.

Peter, this is most definitely a Javanese pedang, there can be no question of this. The blade is a common style in Jawa, the recent dress is Javanese, the dress was made in Solo by m'ranggi Agus Irianto, AKA Agus Warongko, the style of dress is generic, the pommel interpretation that I have given can be supported by similar stylized interpretations of the Rojomolo that are found in carvings of various types that were and are produced in & for Solo consumption. The Rojomolo is woven into the culture of Solo.

In respect of both surface manipulated pamor mlumah, and pamor miring, when these pamors are found in a pedang blade, that pedang is usually taken to have been made as pusaka or as an item of dress, not as a weapon of war.

Pamor miring in particular does not have any strengthening effect in blade construction, surface manipulated pamor mlumah also has no strengthening effect. The common random pattern does act to support the steel core, manipulated patterns tend to weaken a blade.

The pamor motif Batu Lapak is often the result of the tang having been attached after the body of the blade has been forged but not yet subjected to the necessary cold work. This type of construction is common in old thrusting weapons, but is seldom found in slashing & cutting weapons, as it tends to weaken a blade.