Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st June 2020, 12:31 PM   #1
Hombre

Default Shibriya

Should really appreciate your opinions about this Shibriya....

Best,
Stefan
Attached Images

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Hombre

Is this a tourist knife or.... What do you think?

/Stefan
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:34 AM   #3
shayde78

With admittedly limited knowledge, I'd say the anchor points for the suspension rings look rather weak if this were to actually be worn for practical use. I can't see enough detail of the blade, so I can't offer much more insight that that. It does look stout, though - maybe a proper working blade.
I'm curious what others think. The aesthetic of shibriya often confound me as even the examples intended for hard use by the indigenous population look to be "blinged out" in the same style as the ones purely intended to sit on a tourist's shelf.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Hombre

Thank you so very much for your opinions. I really appreciate it!

Best,
Stefan
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Bob A

I'm generally ignorant regarding shibrya, but the blade looks good to me. If the in-hand qualities of the knife indicate its suitability for actual tasks, I'd say it makes no difference whether it's a tourist item or one that would be used by a local. A good knife is a good knife.

Function is the key. Bling is an added attraction, so long as it doesn't detract from function. IMO, of course.

I'd certainly take it off your hands if you decide you can't live with the amiguity!
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:17 PM   #6
David R

A modern one in wear on a Jordanian Policeman. I think that as with a lot of things, cost and occasion have a lot to do with decoration and etc.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Hombre

Again, thank you so very much, guys!

Best,
Stefan
Old 4th June 2020, 04:41 PM   #8
motan

Hi Stefan,
You seem to be on a shibriya buying campaign. This is your third one in the last couple of weeks.
I will try to explain it, but this involves a lot of guess work.
Despite having many Jordanian characteristics, I think that you have a Palestinian one again, dating to the 1950's or 60's.
It has the stones/glass bead typical of shibriyas from Jordan, as well as the "medallions" on the pommel and the twisted wire decoration with rings on the scabbard. However, the simple decoration is not right for this type from Jordan and I suspect it is imitating the original style. The blade, like in most Palestinian shibriyas is broad, thick, sturdy and relatively well-made.
In the picture, one from my collection that has some similarities and is certainly Palestinian. A fried who is well connected with old local collectors and has about 10 of this type told me it probably comes from the Gaza/Rafa area.
One sign is that the wood of the scabbard, where the blade is inserted, is covered with metal sheet. Is it? If all true, this is not a tourist item as there was no bazaar market in that time and area.
One last advise. If you really want older and better shibriyas, look for a narrower and more curvy blade.
Eytan
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 06:54 PM   #9
Hombre

One sign is that the wood of the scabbard, where the blade is inserted, is covered with metal sheet. Is it?
Yes, it is!

Thank you s very much, Eytan. I really appreciate it!

Best,
Stefan