FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th March 2024, 01:35 AM   #1
Will M

This video may be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJDFHas5R0
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 02:59 AM   #2
drac2k

Thanks to all for the informative comments and the educational video. The sword seems a departure from earlier, shorter cutlasses that I have encountered, with its 28" blade it reminds me more of a cavalry sword as opposed to a cutlass. It must have encompassed a new theory of shipboard fighting whereas, earlier with the exception of boarding pikes, I had always thought that short swords and axes were used in the close, crowded boarding actions.
Also, I am surprised that they developed a new cutlass in 1889, as I would have thought that they would be obsolete by then.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 03:23 AM   #3
toaster5sqn

28" is hardly long, infantry swords were a standard 32" and cavalry swords generally longer than that with 34" to 36" being common and some were longer again.

As for being late, the last British cavalry pattern sword was the 1908, since the Russo Japenese war had appeared to show that cavalry charges remained effective. WWI came as a nasty shock to military planners.

Robert
toaster5sqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 10:28 AM   #4
CutlassCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
.......... The sword seems a departure from earlier, shorter cutlasses that I have encountered, with its 28" blade it reminds me more of a cavalry sword as opposed to a cutlass.
Also, I am surprised that they developed a new cutlass in 1889, as I would have thought that they would be obsolete by then.
The 1889 was modelled on the 1882 cavalry sword so there are similarities. The guard was innovative as it had a raised rib that acted as a point deflector but also strengthened the guard allowing lighter material. Brits liked long cutlasses - the 1804 was around the same length.

The last pattern was 1900 (even more obsolete) and was very similar to the 1889 but with a remodelled grip and the blade had a fuller.
CC
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote