Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th April 2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Jambu

Default Another mark

I do not know anything about the "Fly" blademark pictured with your query.

This Kaskara was purchased in Asmara prior to 1975 and has a Lion Mark similar to the Lion in your diagram above. Does anyone recognize it or have any comment?
Attached Images

Jambu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Jambu
I'm sure this is a German makers mark but I not the one with the reference book still a nice older example.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

With the lion mark, it should be noted that with kaskaras, the larger number of blades with European marks or native produced derivatives are from German markings. With the volume of blades exported from Germany into these markets, it seems quite feasible that variations would occur. The lion variation may well have been native applied as well.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 12:17 AM   #4
Jambu

Red face For future reference

I neglected to mention that the sword pictured above has two blade markings, similar to example B. pictured in the above reference. The fly type mark is found in the fuller just above the Languet, opposite side of blade from the Lion Marking.

The seller was an ex US Army Soldier who had been at Kagnew Army base in Asmara and had obtained the sword in the early 70's, no other information available.
Attached Images

Old 7th May 2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Red face Maybe

Maybe if I post this enough times ....
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 01:37 AM   #6
stephen wood

I was able to find something similar here

When I recently took it to an Arms Fair in London most people who saw it thought it looked older than most kaskaras. It had been said by Christie's to be '1780's or earlier' according to its previous owner.

It may have been shortened at some time but if so this was very long ago.

Also two structural anomalies stand out:

- the pommel is wooden covered with leather rather than the more usual coiled leather strip.

- the blade is not recessed into a slot in the crossguard.
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 02:00 AM   #7
Jambu

Default Rick, I have this mark too

Hi Rick, I also have a Kaskara with this mark, but I have no idea what it signifies.
The sword was purchased by me last year in a village outside Port Sudan. It was a very exciting experience to say the least. I first found a guy selling a sword or two in the market in the Town Centre, but his asking prices were ludicrous. After making some friends and asking around I was advised to travel to a village about 20 min out of town where there is a market operated by the Beja Tribesmen. After looking around at a few camel saddles and other Beja neccessities, I showed some interest in a couple of 'Saif,' I was soon surrounded by 40 or 50 men and boys waving swords in my face and crowding in all around me, trying to sell of course.
I didn't know much of anything about Kaskara but had researched a little about what would be a good souvenir from Sudan just before I left for Sudan.
Most of the Swords were rather new or if old were in poor shape, but I believe they had better examples that were put away and not for sell. I bargained hard and bought a couple of swords and all sales and cash had to pass through a village headman.
I became very fascinated with these Beja and their Arms and Armour and have done a lot of reading on this website and other sources. I have even bought a few other beja items online since then. I hope to return to Sudan oneday. Sorry I can't offer any serious research, just ancedotes
J Jambu
Attached Images

Last edited by Jambu; 7th May 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 7th May 2010, 02:43 AM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Yep .
Darfur style .
Nice hilting but different fullering considering they share the same style of mark .

http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=1967

A European origin has been suggested here but not proven .

*Paging Jim ; here's another .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 04:04 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Maybe if I post this enough times ....
Know what you mean Rick! The one I have with the mark is in distinctly Darfur mounts (according to Reed). Im beginning to think this may well be a stylized native version of the Kull mark.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Cuirassier

Arrow Subject rekindled?

Sorry to raise the dead (subject).

I have bought a kaskara with these same marks. It was a punt, outside my normal field of sword interest & knowledge. I have also now (I think) managed to secure / buy a copy of 1000 Blademaker Marks, which also lists these same marks as the one Stephen posted regarding the Sword of Raidera.

I hope I will get my copy of 1000 Blademaker Marks soon (I always fear those dreaded words "Sorry, I have already sold it and forgot to remove my advertisment / the listing").

In the mean time, does anyone have a copy / know the maker, date, details etc? I have posted images below. It is a strange looking beast but I think the kaskara was built that way as the pommel also has the Abyssinian? lion on it. Any information you could share would be appreciated.

Bom dia from Portugal
I actually live opposite the Spanish town of Salvaterra de Mino which is where the Napoleonic French army decided to cut and run (literally) during the Peninsula War discarding, it is alleged, their weapons en mass as they did so. So why are there absolutely no Napoleonic swords to be found here?!
Mark
Attached Images

Cuirassier is offline   Reply With Quote