Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th February 2022, 02:35 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Indonesian dagger

I recently bought this from Ebay because I really like the hilt and scabbard carving. Even though it does not have the classic pistol grip, I've seen ones likes this called badek and attributed to central Sumatra. Is this correct? Also, I was surprised when it arrived how thin the blade is, despite having fullers. The blade is pamor but is thin and flexible like a steak knife. Is it a real working blade? Photo of spine and Ebay picture:
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 01:41 AM   #2
kai

Hello Jeff,

This specific type of kakatua/parrot hilt is most commonly seen with sewar; as with many Sumatran hilts, combinations with other knife blades are also not rarely seen. Whether it might be referred to as badik, pisau/piso, or any other name will depend on the local communities and speakers involved.

I believe this specific hilt type has a Straits origin and could be from northeastern Sumatra as well as from the western coast of the Malay peninsula. The wood makes me lean towards Malaya though.

How well does the blade fit the scabbard? Both seem to have some age but difficult to assess from the pics. I believe this blade has lost any tool function und probably was kept as a memento/heirloom.

The scabbard is in dire need of some TLC, especially removal of polishing compound and a correct foot piece - the current piece seems to be from plastic and has a fantasy shape; a rounded shape as seen in keris seems to be most suitable here IMHO.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 05:27 AM   #3
JeffS

Yes the scabbard is designed for the thin blade. The blade (24cm long) is actually quite sharp and would be suitable for food prep work if reincarnated as a kitchen knife. I have started to work on the rust but haven't cleaned the hilt or scabbard. I think what you are seeing as polishing compound is just reflection from the silver coating on the copper metal work. I can't tell if it is intentionally two-tone or if the silver coating is just worn off. The contrasting copper and silver may look nice polished up a bit but I'm hesitant to remove the copper patina. The piece on the foot is bone and seems to be an unnatural yellow hue. There is visible glue from sloppy work attaching it. Shame that it may diverge stylistically.
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 07:12 AM   #4
kai

Thanks for the additional pics, Jeff!

Quote:
Yes the scabbard is designed for the thin blade. The blade (24cm long) is actually quite sharp and would be suitable for food prep work if reincarnated as a kitchen knife.
Better don't try - somebody's ancestors wouldn't be amused, I guess!

The scabbard crosspiece does not seem to be terribly old which is in line with the carving. I'd guess that this piece got it's fittings revamped during the first half of the 20th century with possibly an even later replacement of the scabbard foot.

Quote:
I have started to work on the rust but haven't cleaned the hilt or scabbard. I think what you are seeing as polishing compound is just reflection from the silver coating on the copper metal work. I can't tell if it is intentionally two-tone or if the silver coating is just worn off. The contrasting copper and silver may look nice polished up a bit but I'm hesitant to remove the copper patina.
Very likely worn off if original. Are you sure it's silver plated? The shine/color seems a bit weird but that might be my eyes or the digicam...

Quote:
The piece on the foot is bone and seems to be an unnatural yellow hue. There is visible glue from sloppy work attaching it. Shame that it may diverge stylistically.
It certainly looks like a misguided repair attempt. At this level, the original probably wasn't made from ivory. Getting a replacement from horn or bone shouldn't be too difficult, I guess.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote