Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd January 2017, 05:25 PM   #1
Athanase

Default What kind of handle for a Piso Halasan??

Hello,
I bought this Piso a few years ago, but it was missing the handle.
I would like put a new handle but I do not know which style is the most suitable for this model.
I thought of a handle similar to piso gading (wood, bone, or bronze?) Because I like this shape very much.
Or a more common hilt of antler (Sambar), but often there is a bronze "selut" (I don't know the name) at the base and I don't know where to find it.

I'm aware that the blade of my Piso Halasan is of low quality and "rustic".
So I'm looking for a simple form that is compatible with the style of the scabbard.

(PS : Sorry for my english still bad )
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 06:57 PM   #2
kai

Hello Athanase,

Quote:
I bought this Piso a few years ago, but it was missing the handle.
I would like put a new handle but I do not know which style is the most suitable for this model.
I thought of a handle similar to piso gading (wood, bone, or bronze?) Because I like this shape very much.
Or a more common hilt of antler (Sambar), but often there is a bronze "selut" (I don't know the name) at the base and I don't know where to find it.
A big gading hilt will not be easy to find and expensive - may also look a bit too much (the scabbard does look more like 20th century to me).

I believe that a suitable piece of stag (with the natural surface structure but polished) will look really nice. Quite a few of these don't have a selut-like piece at the base; if you prefer one, someone with contacts to runners may be able to obtain a replacement. Or just add something methuk-like made from some old brass (or a disk from an old button and short tube)...

Quote:
I'm aware that the blade of my Piso Halasan is of low quality and "rustic".
So I'm looking for a simple form that is compatible with the style of the scabbard.
Actually, the blade may be fine if you give it some more polish and etching.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Athanase

Ok,

Thank you very much.
I don't know the age of this Piso Halasan, but it was sold as dating from the first half of the 20th century.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote