Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th August 2016, 12:34 PM   #1
corrado26

Default Unknown dagger

This morning an friend of mine brought me this dagger which is absolutely unknown to me. I am sure that there is somebody who knows where this piece is originated and how old it might be. Thanks in advance
corrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Sajen

It's an Albacete dagger from Spain, very nice piece with all the cut outs at the blade.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 04:10 PM   #4
machinist

It is a nice example. These are often mid-identified as plug bayonets on the ebay
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 05:25 PM   #5
corrado26

Thanks to everyone. You have been a great help in identifying this dagger and widening my knowledge
corrado 26
Old 14th January 2017, 05:21 PM   #6
corrado26

Just for info:

There has been a special exposition in the Museo Cuchelleria de Albacete in 2009and a small catalogue has been published under the titel "Cuchillos de Abacete Ttesoros de tres Siglos". This book is still available at a price of 35.-€.
corrado26
Old 14th January 2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice example of a distinctively Albacete hunting dagger. Thank you guys for adding links and especially noting reference sources.

Albacete was a town in SE Spain in the old Murcia province which specialized in making 'plug bayonets' for hunters probably at some point late 18th c but as the late Roger Evans ("The Plug Bayonet", 2002, p.159) notes, these were never used as bayonets per se' . Most examples date from 19th c, particularly c 1860s, 70s.
The distinctive 'dumb bell' shaped aperture in the blade (often holding brass inserts) are characteristic of Albacete, but not all examples have them. This feature does not have a satisfactory explanation other than being traditionally placed. There are a number of fanciful notions for its purpose but my own thought is that perhaps it may be a vestigial representation of the toggle type openings for cross bars used on hunting pole arms. These were ostensibly to prevent game such as wild boars 'pushing toward the hunter though impaled' as I have understood.

The pierced heart features according to similar example in Evans (op. cit.) indicate popular c. 1850-60 period.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 10:42 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
Just for info:

There has been a special exposition in the Museo Cuchelleria de Albacete in 2009and a small catalogue has been published under the titel "Cuchillos de Abacete Ttesoros de tres Siglos". This book is still available at a price of 35.-€.
corrado26
Thank you for information!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote