Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th December 2023, 03:33 PM   #1
Yvain

Well, well, well, look what arrived ...

Sometimes when you receive a weapon, you feel like it was made for business, and not just as a hip ornament. This is exactly how I felt when I picked up this smallsword for the first time, it definitely feels like a no frills, efficient weapon.

The balance is of course very good, the blade - though unsigned - seem to be of good quality, but what surprised me the most is the excellent point control it has ; indeed, compared to a classic foil, I can control the point of my blade way more easily with this sword.

The grip is rather comfortable, and surprisingly protective given how simple it is.

I don't have much more to add right now, but I am very happy about it !
Attached Images

Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2023, 07:30 PM   #2
urbanspaceman

Default Blade

Hello again.
You remember I asked about the blade and whether it featured a hollow or a grove on the lower face... now I see it is a groove.
This - like all colichemardes - was impressed using the infamous machine that was taken to Shotley Bridge from Solingen.
I have seen examples of it on Birmingham swords before and have begun to wonder if a Mohll or an Oley set a one up down there.
The probability this is a Matthew Boulton hilt makes me wonder even more.
I draw your attention to an almost identical blade made by - or for - Thomas Gill. See following photos:

Last edited by urbanspaceman; 28th December 2023 at 07:33 PM. Reason: photos
urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2023, 07:36 PM   #3
urbanspaceman

Default Photos

see photos of the Gill sword:
Attached Images

Old 2nd January 2024, 11:07 PM   #4
Yvain

Thanks for the information and the additional picture! This type of blades is also illustrated in the Encyclopédie. I wonder if there is some info online or in a book about this specific style of hilt
Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:28 PM   #5
urbanspaceman

Default sword hilts

Matthew Boulton's company published an illustrated catalogue showing all the sword-hilts he offered.
It is an extremely extensive selection of very detailed drawings.
Unfortunately, I do not have/or can no longer locate, my copy of this catalogue.
My hard-drive is packed with research material and every time I attempt to tidy it up I seem to hide some things... sorry.
I will have found it on-line so I am sure you will be able too also.
In a nut-shell: Boulton was a Birmingham metal-works producer offering everything from buttons to candlesticks and was even minting money for the Crown at his Soho Mint. He was partnered with James Watt of steam engine fame.