Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st August 2022, 02:49 PM   #1
alex8765

Here is almost identical one that I have.
Attached Images

alex8765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2022, 03:52 PM   #2
corrado26

I want to add a British navy dagger ca. 1780 once in my collection
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2022, 07:13 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This discussion is outstanding as the stiletto/misercorde topic has perfectly extended into the fascinating spectrum of dirks, which although typically regarded as naval (with exception of course of the Highland types) seem to have had other areas of use on other cases as well.
The size (of course matters) as far as determining the potential for the probable use of these variations, and while the smaller ones of course may be seen as 'cutlery' they surely had use in close quarters predicaments.

It is really fascinating seeing all of these great examples of 'dirk' which are mostly naval, and that is of course the most exciting area for these.
Many of the remarkable and beautiful examples shown here reflect the practice of using cut down blades in many cases.

In stepping down a bit from the strata of the examples shown so far, my example is a bit more into 'munitions grade' but also illustrates the cutting down of a full size blade into a somewhat smaller fighting knife (dirk?).
This was clearly a hunting hanger of early 18thc blade, what appears to remain of a fleur de lis appears at blade center, in the manner of such blades which are seen in often Jacobite contexts pre-Culloden (probably from the St.Etienne arsenal).

While clearly not of the stature of these naval dirks for officers and midshipmen, there are many possible speculations for this example, which even optimistically could include pirate contexts. We know that piracy was not confined to the sensationalized figures or areas and that ordinary seamen on various types of vessels might have sought such weapons as well.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2022, 12:34 AM   #4
JoeCanada42

very cool stuff everyone, wish I had the scabbard for mine..,
well here are some better photos finally..

also if anybody gets a chance please check out a knife I posted in miscellaneous
thanks
Attached Images

JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote