Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2020, 05:32 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

These MET people sure know an infinitely lot more about it than me; meaning i know nothing.
It is just that i find strange to hang a metalic shield on a thin fabric livery. Could they wear some thicker material ... even made of leather ?

Attached Images

fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 08:15 PM   #2
AHorsa

When I think of thin woven fabrics I am totally with you - a metal shield won´t last long there. But me I know nothing too And I have no idea what the clothes was like in that time.
AHorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 12:23 PM   #3
fernando

For as thick as woven fabric may be, it doesn't stay steady (uninclined) with a 35 grams metal plaque. Maybe the (MET) expression that the badges were "worn on their clothing" is a simplistic way put it. We know that messengers wore tunics, but also capes (cloaks), obviously heavier. Also belt bags, as per second painting in #21); these would (could) be made in a harder material (leather), more consistent with a badge application.
And just for perusal, i have read that, in some cases, lances (spears) also made part of their symbolic attire.

Attached Images

Old 26th September 2020, 09:44 AM   #4
AHorsa

Hi Fernando,

thanks for your remarks and the images! I think it will be hard to say if it belonged to a messenger and if so, where it was worn (except that it wasn´t worn on "light" clothing) unless we find a certainly defined / identified comparandum.

One observation I want to add for the piece´s history:
Looking at the six holes, it seems that three of them has a bulge (not sure if this is the right phrase) from beeing drilled less professional than those three on the edges which also has those outbursts. This makes me assume that the piece was once took off forcefully, than three new wholes where drilled and it was attached again.
Attached Images

Last edited by AHorsa; 26th September 2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 27th September 2020, 10:08 AM   #5
fernando

Default Guessing ...

Ye, some holes would have been made with rudimentary (medieval) drills and the others perforated with a spike... by a less skilled author, so to say.
But what have been the use for the second episode; stick it back in the same place or give it a new home, having nothing to do withs its primary purpose ?
Old 25th November 2020, 08:50 PM   #6
AHorsa

Hello together,

while the precise usage is still unclear, I figured out that the red material was wax (I think seal wax) and a later supplement as it layed over the green corrosion layer. So I removed it and gave the piece a slight cleaning. Here is what it does look like now.

Best regards
Andreas
Attached Images

Old 4th February 2021, 09:38 PM   #7
AHorsa

I found this interesting collection of pendants:
https://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/13/31/64/18/vervel19.jpg

No 68 - 71 are quite similar to mine. Description of No 68:
https://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/13/31/64/18/vervel18.jpg

Sadly it doesn´t give any clear information. But they might have had the same purpose.

Cheers
Andreas