Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2020, 11:51 PM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I wanted to revisit this peculiar weapon which resembles its Yemeni cousin at #337 yet is distinct in two quite different regions in Oman ...The Dhofar region around Salalah in Southern Oman and the Sharqiyyah in the East of Oman...#350. all the above may usually be seen on a simple leather belt although I have seen Omani items on a silvered belt. The Yemeni variant is also often inscribed with script on either the front or back. I have also see a second belt on the Omani weapon with bullet slots often for Martini Henry Ammo.
In the weapons illustrated you can notice the central spine of the blade flanked by two other fullers not normally seen on other blades. It is assumed these are imported as are 99% of Omani Khanjar blades either from Solingen Germany or perhaps India or Yemen.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 17th February 2020 at 12:02 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2020, 07:47 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Here I place some pictures of the new tendency to build multiple daggers around the same scabbard. There is no hard and fast rule on this method although the Genoobi form will not fit the profile of the usual Northern Omani hilt. What is interesting is the use of the Royal "Busaidi" hilt on either the 7 ringer or 4 ringer scabbard... and since it is the hilt that determines that style not the scabbard; this is entirely correct.
It may also be noted that in creating the al Busaidi hilt on the old Omani Battle Sword or Saif Yemaani it is only the hilt which is given that configuration in circa 1840 AD which determines its form... The same applies to the Busaidi Khanjar... Just the hilt!
Attached Images

Old 29th February 2020, 12:31 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Suri Khanjar (From Sur)

This smaller and typically well balanced Weapon is from the famous coastal city of Sur. The pattern is chequered in silver geometry sewed onto the leather scabbard . The belt outer rings are rather in the newer fashion of twisted silver decoration ...Some like ..others don't. The hilt is Giraffe horn.
Attached Images

Old 29th February 2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

On blades which you would think everything that could be written has been written there is scarce proof absolute of the origin of manufacture... Suffice to say however is that the point of manufacture was probably split between Sanaa in Yemen and India and Persia.

There is support in some quarters that German blades entered the equation and I cannot say why not although no blades I have seen confirm nor deny this possibility and none I have ever seen are struck with makers marks as such.

It is a fact that Omani Khanjar blades have no marks stamped or chiseled into them. Some as seen on these pages have variation in the central raised rib in that some have flanking grooves placed either side of the main rib seen at #354 while some have three distinct ribs like this one below called The One with three (grooves?)... a parallel description of an Omani sword with three of these..

And so for now we go with the idea of Persia, India, Yemen and Germany as the origin of provision of Omani Khanjar blades although I have heard rumours that some were locally made and some were made from meteorites...and others from Johor or wootz material (this is true in part because Russian blades in wootz are today available)...Personally however, I think myths may have crept into the mix but record this post as "interesting" for later study and confirmation.
Attached Images

Old 29th February 2020, 10:09 PM   #5
Edster

It's interesting that all the blades seem to have the same dimensions and curve profile. Also, except for the Royal hilted the scabbard is the seat of distinctive design and embellishment as well as amounts of labor and silver (cost).

What is the name and significance of the conical pieces next to the rings?

Thanks for sharing!!!

Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 07:04 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Reference:
A. http://www.khanjar.om/Materials.html
B. http://omanisilver.com

Thank you Ed, The regional general designs are tuned to a central likeness with specific designs from area to area. The linked websites of omanisilver.com and the website with the Omani Khanjar thesis break these down from each region as seen at references above.…

The conical shapes have two names hat or shield of which I prefer to choose the latter; Terrs… In the Khanjar dance a Shield or Terrs is used in the performance which is in the traditions or Funoon.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st March 2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 15th March 2020, 08:54 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

We know that the main traded items entering the Zanzibar hub were Slaves ..Rhino Horn and hides and Ivory. It has been quite difficult to obtain Ivory Khanjar examples with specific high definition pictures but luckily we have a couple for forum. High density plastic has been used and makes a reasonable substitute however here is the real thing and we can only hope more substitute materials can step up such as Mamoth ?…
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 15th March 2020 at 09:05 PM.