Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th November 2008, 10:38 PM   #1
kisak

Post Newly aquired keris

I recently bought this one at an auction. The auction house guessed Borneo, early 20th century (personally I know to little for any guess more specific than "SE Asia"). Needs some cleaning, and it seems that it's taken a blow to the base of the hilt at some point in time (denting the ring, and possible bending the tang slightly out of true), but otherwise it seemed to be in decent shape.

Nice and light, scabbard and blade fits well together, ca 36cm blade, 46.5cm total.

Any comments on origin, recommended care and feeding, or anything else?
Attached Images

kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

The dress looks Solo, the mendak strikes me as possibly Madura ,
and I sure couldn't pin down this old 7 luk blade ...
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 12:54 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Agreed Rick. Very unusual dhapur, though i wouldn't think Borneo would be an option here.
The dress is Jawa Solo as you point out and i also think the mendak looks Madurese.
Kisak, keris have an unusual lean to them. I don't think the tang has been bent here. The ring (mendak) does not look as if it has been stuck to me, just bent somewhat with age.
All in all i like this keris. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Henk

I agree about the dress opinions. Dapur is very unusual. This type of dapur should present the awakening naga. Cann't recall the name for it.
Nice keris. Congrats!!
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
kulbuntet

The hilt used to have black paint, has been sanded off. Keris blade looks realy nice. Have been etched or have been washed a lot(to long?)..see notches on left side near sorsoran. But i realy like it's dapur. I can't figure out the pamor...sombody have a idea?

Congratulations!

P.S. To Rick and everybody else. I want to apologize for posting the link to the 2 keris on marktplaats. I did not see anny harm in doeing so, since i did not sell the keris. I wanted to open a discusion about the 2 keris being sold there. I do not know the seller and did not realise that i was in violation with the rules of the forum. my apologies for this.

Regards,

Michel

Last edited by kulbuntet; 11th November 2008 at 11:16 PM.
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 11:11 AM   #6
kisak

Adding a few more pictures, closeups of the pamor and a pair of overall pictures with a bit more even light. It's starting to get dark enough up here in the north that even outdoors at noon my camera wants to pop the flash.

Anyway, thanks for the input given. Sounds like I managed to get my hands on a good one. And I guess the "awakening naga" bit would be somewhat suitable for a first one.
Attached Images

Last edited by kisak; 13th November 2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Managed to hit submit before I had attached the pics.
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Henk

We don't see the pamor of this keris. So it is impossible to tell what type of pamor this keris has. The pamor becomes visible when the blade is etched with warangan. The arsenic lemon solution will etch the iron into black and the nickel metall wil stay untouched. That treatment will bring out the pamor. What we see here is the forging of the metals used for the blade, the lamination. The pamor could be a complete surprise.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 12:29 AM   #8
kulbuntet

Smile

Hi Henk,

Does the lamination not say somthing about the pamor.. I always thought it did..it tells me abou the layers and if you know about how the keris is bild up in layers it tels a bit about the pamor. But is posible that there are hidden pamor, not visible in the layers. This is a blade that is etched verry visible. and if you know that what acid you use, lime with warangan, or hydrochloric(no favorite of my!!)..or what ever, the nickel is less eaten away than the iron. I think IMO that it does tell something about the pamor(maybe not all but in enough etched cases it does).

Since a year i am learning to wash keris with Warangan, in that proces i have seen that what i told in the above. It is true that some blades wil suprise you. specialy ones that ar not etched alot, were you never can tell for sure before washing.

regards, Michel
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote