Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2021, 01:13 AM   #1
bvieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
In the Museo Nationale die Roma "Castel Sant' Angelo"you can find this sword
like the one you mention, this is not a exact match but i think they are the best pictures i have seen from this type. This one was sold at a european auction house.
Attached Images

bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:35 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Great example, Bruno.
Also in the famous Pastrana tapestries, commissioned by King Dom Afonso V, to celebrate conquests in African territory (Arzila, Tangiers) we can see, among plenty weaponry advanced for the time, a few examples of these swords, in a shape similar to those in the panels. Actually it presumed that the cards for the weaving of these tapestries (in Tournai, today Belgium) were executed by the same Nuno Gonçalves.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 22nd February 2021 at 01:01 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 01:02 PM   #3
bvieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Very nice example, Bruno.
Also in the famous Pastrana tapestries, commissioned by King Dom Afonso V, to celebrate conquests in African territory (Arzila, Tangiers) we can see, among plenty weaponry advanced for the time, a few examples of these swords, in a shape similar to those in the panels. Actually it presumed that the cards for the weaving of these tapestries (in Tournai, today Belgium) were executed by the same Nuno Gonçalves.

Exactly i have seen that! this amplifies the question where did this swords ended up ? it they were used by any knight at that time, we should know many more examples that the ones that are known.
Old 22nd February 2021, 01:27 PM   #4
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvieira
... Exactly i have seen that! this amplifies the question where did this swords ended up ?
You tell me Bruno, once my previous guessings (#25) were not plausible.
We should regard the examples represented in the tapistries with some uniformity of style, perhaps the result of their repetition in so many instances of the battle scene, or their relative smallness among so many other details. Whereas tith the panels, it is possible to observe detailed stylistic divergences between the different models; showing us the armaments of illustrious courtiers, the best that money can buy;
Old 22nd February 2021, 02:10 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Exactly i have seen that! this amplifies the question where did this swords ended up ? it they were used by any knight at that time, we should know many more examples that the ones that are known.
Looks like the Spaniards give a better account of their sister pattern high end examples. But you now, a larger country, larger museums, greater rust degradations, larger burial sites ... and certainly a lot more private collections.

Attached Images

Old 22nd February 2021, 05:32 PM   #6
bvieira

Quote:
Looks like the Spaniards give a better account of their sister pattern high end examples. But you now, a larger country, larger museums, greater rust degradations, larger burial sites ... and certainly a lot more private collections.

The spanish origin of these swords is something i don't take for guaranteed, in the Philips age some of the best items at the portuguese crown armoury houses were indeed stolen.
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:15 PM   #7
kronckew

Don't forget Spain ruled the Low countries from 1556 thru 1714, and in the latter years with rebellions there, aided by the English, there would have been a lot of Spanish/Portugese swords there, many of which were no longer needed by their previous owners after their demise. Spain also ruled Portugal 1580-1640, and I gather were not above taking souvenirs.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:16 PM   #8
fernando

Quote:
The spanish origin of these swords is something i don't take for guaranteed, in the Philips age some of the best items at the portuguese crown armoury houses were indeed stolen.
I don't think at all that this would have been the case, given their identity.
From top to bottom: the sword of King Fernando, the Catholic, in the Cathedral of Granada; another of Fernando’ swords, in the Real Armería of Madrid; the so called Gran Capitan sword, because of “Gran Capitan” Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba, also in the Real Armería; and the sword of the Instituto Valencia de Don Juan of Madrid.
But if your doubts remain ... i am off.
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:36 PM   #9
bvieira

Quote:
I don't think at all that this would have been the case, given their identity.
From top to bottom: the sword of King Fernando, the Catholic, in the Cathedral of Granada; another of Fernando’ swords, in the Real Armería of Madrid; the so called Gran Capitan sword, because of “Gran Capitan” Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba, also in the Real Armería; and the sword of the Instituto Valencia de Don Juan of Madrid.
But if your doubts remain ... i am off.
And tell me Fernando do they know where they were made ? they are signed ?