Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th June 2011, 08:09 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Caucasian Pistol

Hello all. Latest project finished. Ball butt pistol from Circassia in the Northern/Western areas of the Caucusas. I bought this from a gun dealer in Montana of all plases. He mentioned that he purchased it from a fellow who said his Gradfather brought it back from Eurpoe after World War-I.
After close inspection, I realized the lock was not original to the gun. However, it is a Circassian lock that is correct for the pistol. Most of these pistols were built with wood stocks covered with leather. The stock for this pistol is carved from one piece of HORN. When I received the gun it was missing the internal lock parts, the ball trigger, and the rear barrel band. Fortunately, I have a spare - though slightly larger - Circassian lock and ball trigger in my collection. I sent both of these and the pistol to Roy Stroh in Georgia (U.S.). Roy used the parts as a pattern to make new lock internals, a new ball trigger, and a new rear barrel band. Even to the trained eye, the new rear barrel band is an exact duplicate. It still amazes me some peoples brain-to-hand skills. Next the barrel went to Bob Hoyt in Pennsylvania to have a new modern steel liner installed, for safe shooting. And finally to Earl Kathan in New Hampshire for some light glass bead blasting of the barrel and breech plug, and final assembly. This gun has been to three different gunsmiths in three different states. For those interested, reference Anthony Tirri, page 181, Fig. 122 for other examples. Anyway, thanks for looking. I'll take it to the Range and test fire it soon and report back. TARUS BULBA !!
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Latest project finished.
Hi Rick
thank you for saving a "wreck"
I'm always happy when a weapon has returned to its "function" ... functional

I know
some are in favor of leaving the weapons in the state where they are found

it is not my view of things

a weapon has a function,
for that it should be able to be useful

otherwise it's a lack of respect for him
at least, it's my feeling

congratulations

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hey there Taras!!!!
What an absolutely beautiful restoration, and on one of these intriguing guns with so much history. I agree with Dom, it is wonderful to see these worn old weapons returned as much as possible to original state. It truly is a fine line as I admit to being one who likes weapons which are dark in patination and wearing the years of history, but that is mostly because too often collectors and dealers overclean and spoil that effect. Thats is clearly not the case here so my views are considerably altered!.........very nicely done and thank you so much for sharing this.
This old pistol has exciting new history adding to the nicely preserved old history kept well in place.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 04:17 PM   #4
rickystl

Thank you Dom and Jim for the kind remarks. I agree with both of your comments. It is a often a fine line whether or not to restore. For example: Had this pistol been 100% complete, and especially if well decorated, I would not "fiddle" with it. So, you have to select just the right candidate for restoration. You want to keep as much of the historical integrity as possible. The barrel on this pistol had such a heavy patina that it almost covered the engraving. The glass bead blasting (by someone who knows how) took the heaviest patina off. But left the original patina intact. It's very neat. You can control how much patina you want off. Anyway, this one turned out well. Thanks again. Rick.
p.s. I'll have others to post this month.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote