Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd November 2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Victrix

I searched the word Ingelrii. The Annals of the Coinage of Britain and its Dependencies by Rogers Ruding mentions an Ingelri in a list of moneyers to Aethelred, Rex Anglorum.

In ancient Norse, Ing is the name of a god presumed to be fertility god Frey (gender neutral). Names were combined with Ing to place the child under the protection of that god, e.g. Ingrid, Ingvar. Ingela is a Germanic name.

Ingel is the word for angel in Old Frisian and Estonian (from German Engel).

The Angles (Old English: Aengle, Latin: Anglii, German: Angeln) were a Germanic people who settled in Britain in the post-Roman period. They originated from the Schleswig-Holstein area. This is the origin of the word England.

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
I searched the word Ingelrii. The Annals of the Coinage of Britain and its Dependencies by Rogers Ruding mentions an Ingelri in a list of moneyers to Aethelred, Rex Anglorum.
Well done! Such a close match with the swords' name is new to me. Following up on this leads to an article on the topic of the many continental moneyers at work in England during the 10th century. INGELRI and other variants are attributed to one or more moneyers named Ingelric:

Quote:
Ingelric
ENGELRI [Edw I HT1], INGERI [Æthst HCT1]
INGELRIES genitive [Edg HR1]
Oxford INGELRI [Æthst CC]
Probably two different moneyers here, as the earlier moneyer is linked to Oxford by a mint-signature; probably the Edward moneyer is the same man, as he strikes late in the reign. He uses Winchester derived dies, which would be normal for Ox-ford. The Edgar moneyer on the other hand uses a Rosette die with M in the field,which indicates Derby die-cutting, and there is no evidence for such dies reaching Oxford. There are no examples for the intervening period.
This is apparently based on coins different than any known by Ruding as Athelred is not mentioned.

http://www.snsbi.org.uk/Nomina_artic...a_32_Smart.pdf
Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:49 PM   #3
Victrix

Yes here is the link to Ruding’s book: https://books.google.se/books?id=p1d...oinage&f=false. Looks like an interesting article!

Also in my previous post I mentioned Anglii to show the Latin version of this word. So Ingelrii presumably is the Latin version of Ingelri (a name with Germanic/Frisian origins) and maybe meaning by/of/belonging to, Ingelri or some similar.

Last edited by Victrix; 2nd November 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix

In ancient Norse, Ing is the name of a god presumed to be fertility god Frey (gender neutral). Names were combined with Ing to place the child under the protection of that god, e.g. Ingrid, Ingvar. Ingela is a Germanic name.

Ingel is the word for angel in Old Frisian and Estonian (from German Engel).

The Angles (Old English: Aengle, Latin: Anglii, German: Angeln) were a Germanic people who settled in Britain in the post-Roman period. They originated from the Schleswig-Holstein area. This is the origin of the word England.

Salaams Victrix, I regret I missed this post as it points quite firmly at the origin of this peculiar word INGELRII . Nicely placed and very well noted.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2019, 03:14 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

INGELRII

I LOOKED UP ING.

Please See ~ http://runesecrets.com/rune-meanings/inguz

My understanding of what was clearly a very powerful rune like inscription on Frankish / Viking and related Icelandic and other European linked sword blades is more or less set out in this excellent appraisal of what the word means. It is naturally drenched in Myth and Legend and seems to flow between the tribal moving plates of Viking influence in all its forms seemingly tied to linguistic influence in particular Norse, Old English, West Saxon and Frankish … to name a few.

The paragraph that struck me is from the reference above and set out

Quote''Thus, Inguz contains within its lore the true meaning of sacrifice. Such sacrifice occurs when one form is called upon to die so that a newly evolved form may begin to grow. This is one of the cornerstone concepts in what is known as the ‘male mysteries’. To die for something, such as a cause or an ideal such as freedom, a universal theme in warrior traditions, is thus connected to the energies of Inguz".Unquote

Thus an extremely powerful rune like inscription INGELRII often on one side of the blade balancing VLFBEHRT on the reverse...or a concoction of it\ them.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 8th November 2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10th November 2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I think the following is well worth taking on board on the details of warfare in Frankish lands ~ Please see https://erenow.net/ww/medieval-warfare-a-history/2.php

PART I PHASES OF MEDIEVAL WARFARE.

PART 2 CAROLINGIAN AND OTTONIAN WARFARE.

Quote"WARFARE was perhaps the most dominant concern of the political elites of the eighth, ninth, and tenth centuries. Other medieval social orders have been described as ‘a society organized for war’: Carolingian and Ottonian societies were largely organized by war. The political community, when it came together, was often called ‘the army’ even when it was not functioning as one. And usually it did come together in order to function as one. Massive coercive force was repeatedly deployed against subordinate peoples on the frontiers, with considerable success. It was also deployed, with less consistent success, against invading predators—Northmen (Vikings) along the Atlantic and North Sea coastlines from the early ninth century, Muslims along the Mediterranean coastline from the last years of the eighth century, Magyars from the Danube valley from the last years of the ninth century. And of course it was deployed against rivals within the Frankish world, by both rulers and magnates. Its deployment required substantial investment in organization (taxation and other forms of funding, transport, command structures), physical resources (food, water, equipment), and manpower (conscripted and ‘voluntary’). Increasingly also investment in defensive fortifications was required. Success in warfare brought prestige, authority, and power beyond the immediate results of the campaigning itself; failure similarly risked a crisis in the legitimacy and stability of political authority. "Unquote.