Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th January 2005, 07:42 PM   #1
erlikhan

Default African spears and mace

I found several nice two headed short spears and a tough wooden mace told as original antique weapons in a dealer. Is there anybody having strong information about black african weapons and can decide if they are antique or not , and their value, from pictures? Should I go and take their pictures?
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2005, 07:45 PM   #2
capt.smash

yeah post some pics so we can have a look
capt.smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 07:21 PM   #3
erlikhan

http://www.pbase.com/erlik21/inbox
in this link there are pictures of several spears(1-1,5 mts), one wooden club and one axe. the sewed metal threads are brass or silver. heavily patinated and needs to be cleaned to understand the material. Do you think these are real antique and, which country are they from?
regards
Old 14th January 2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Freddy

Thumbs up South African ?

Hi,

My guess is that these pieces are South African, perhaps Zulu. But I'm not sure of this. There are a lot of tribes (Swazi, Ngoni,etc...) which were influenced by the Zulus. Their weaponry (and tactics) were copied by a lot of people.

The club could be Gogo, from Tanzania. I have a similar one, real heavy. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

The pieces look good to me. I wouldn't clean them too much otherwise you could lose the patina of the blades. When I need to clean, for example a spear from Congo, I gently remove the rust with a copper brush. Afterwards I oil the blade to protect it. Most of the time, the original blackening which is so often seen on African blades returns. That's the way these weapons should look.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 09:43 PM   #5
tom hyle

Zulu, etc. spears, the butt spikes and full-wrapped handles are unuwual. Look "real" and old to me. I know unuwual ain't a word; the key for the letter before "t" in the alphabet got a little object under it though, and won't work right.....
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 08:02 PM   #6
erlikhan

Thank you pals. And,how much would be good, reasonable price for me to pay for them according to market averages? If to mention prices is not appropriate in forum, can you pls send me private msg to give an idea as i have none?

Last edited by erlikhan; 16th January 2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 20th January 2005, 11:47 PM   #7
erlikhan

Nobody has idea about their values?
Old 21st January 2005, 02:42 AM   #8
Andrew

If anyone has an opinion on value to share with erlikhan, please contact him via email or PM.

(Personally, I have no idea, erlikhan. Sorry. )
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2005, 05:39 PM   #9
artotec

Hi I think I know what are those. Are they available for sell? I woud like a spear. I am not %100 but I think they are Shona tribe from South East region.
Let me know if you want to kow more.
artotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2005, 05:42 PM   #10
artotec

Default spear price

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlikhan
Thank you pals. And,how much would be good, reasonable price for me to pay for them according to market averages? If to mention prices is not appropriate in forum, can you pls send me private msg to give an idea as i have none?
If you pay some less than [EDITED BY MODERATOR] will be ok for the spears (each)the club [EDITED BY MODERATOR] and the axe [EDITED BY MODERATOR].I would like a spear like that. Please let me know...

Last edited by Andrew; 29th January 2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 29th January 2005, 06:52 PM   #11
erlikhan

thanks for the info. you mean south east region of the continent?
they are for sale here in Istanbul by a dealer and wouldnt go lower than around 180-200s for each spear i guess.
Old 29th January 2005, 07:03 PM   #12
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by artotec
If you pay some less than [EDITED BY MODERATOR] will be ok for the spears (each)the club [EDITED BY MODERATOR] and the axe [EDITED BY MODERATOR].I would like a spear like that. Please let me know...

Welcome to the forum, artotec. Before posting further, please refer to my post immediately above yours. Also, please read this thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4

Appraisals are not permitted on this forum.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 09:50 PM   #13
artotec

Does he has any small knifes with wire like the spears?If you want them for yourself (the spears) is a good price I guess. Try to bargain if you are in Istanbul. I mean if the asking price is one try starting by offering half. This is the way it goes there. If you buy more than one make a point to the seller etc.