Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th December 2023, 12:50 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Sulawesi knife?

It's always very interesting for me to find items which I never have seen before like this knife which I think is of Sulawesi origin, maybe someone of you have seen such a knife before and will be able to tell me more?
Handle is from horn, the scabbard shows some nice carvings and the blade is seemingly laminated.

41 cm inside scabbard
40 cm without
30,5 cm the blade alone
blade is 6,4 mm thick at the spine behind the handle

First two pictures from the seller, it was a very long badik included in the lot.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2023, 01:02 PM   #2
werecow

At the risk of stating the obvious, it has a lot in common with a kabeala (but with a less extreme grip curvature).
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2023, 01:53 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
At the risk of stating the obvious, it has a lot in common with a kabeala (but with a less extreme grip curvature).
Thank you for the fast first comment! When I first saw the pictures from the seller I thought myself that it could be a kabeala knife but after closer inspection I am now convinced that it isn't a knife from Sumba but like always I could be wrong.
Attached are two pictures which show the knife in question with a knife from Sumba.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 20th December 2023, 02:02 PM   #4
Sajen

See also here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=sumba
I miss by the knife in question: the cut out at the scabbard mouth and the cut out at the blade after the handle.
Also the scabbard carving is rather untypical for Sumba knives.
Old 21st December 2023, 09:35 AM   #5
JeffS

I would lean towards Sumba though most of the kabealas I've seen have been monosteel. What makes you think Sulawesi? The scabbard doesn't look like any Toraja examples I've seen.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2023, 10:42 AM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
I would lean towards Sumba though most of the kabealas I've seen have been monosteel. What makes you think Sulawesi? The scabbard doesn't look like any Toraja examples I've seen.
Hello Jeff,

Like I've written before, at first I thought as well it's a Sumba knife but I got my doubts because the blade doesn't have the typical cut out after the handle as well the scabbard don't show the cut out at the scabbard mouth.
The blade form is typical for Sulawesi alamengs and the carvings at the scabbard are very atypical for Sumba. Handle form is also not typical for Sumba. But I could be wrong.
I don't think that it's of Toraja origin.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 21st December 2023, 01:32 PM   #7
Sajen

Blade shape: my sumara, penai and alameng in comparison.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 21st December 2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 21st December 2023, 09:50 PM   #8
JeffS

I see what you mean, the blade profiles are similar, though I'm not sure what features you are describing as cut outs with the kabeala as a differentiater. Could you describe more? The course layering of the blade forging is certainly reminiscent of several of my Sulawesi blades and even though I doubted Toraja origin earlier (noting you had not suggested it), many of they symbols on your scabbard are found on Toraja scabbards and hilts. I've included some examples with similar blade profiles from my collection in case helpful. Of course the top two are penai from Sulawesi and bottom a kabeala from Sumba.They are to scale.
Attached Images

Old 21st December 2023, 10:10 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
I see what you mean, the blade profiles are similar, though I'm not sure what features you are describing as cut outs with the kabeala as a differentiater. Could you describe more?
Hello Jeff,

First, let me say that you have shown very nice swords.
Attached are two samples from the "cut outs" by blade and scabbard mouth from a kabeala from my collection. Here you can see more: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=sumba
Attached Images

Old 21st December 2023, 10:26 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
The course layering of the blade forging is certainly reminiscent of several of my Sulawesi blades and even though I doubted Toraja origin earlier (noting you had not suggested it), many of they symbols on your scabbard are found on Toraja scabbards and hilts.
I've been racking my brain all day because I've seen carvings similar to those on the sheath of the knife in question, especially the one on the scabbard mouth and the four-petaled flowers but I can't remember where!
Are you able to show examples of similar carvings?

Regards,
Detlef
Old 21st December 2023, 11:53 PM   #11
JeffS

Ah, got it on the notches. These come to mind from my collection first two are from dua lalan handles. Accepting the four lobes are backed by a diamond and have a central circle, I find similarity. Very common motif on dua lalan handles. Also, the interconnected spirals are similar to this other handle, numerous spirql variations exist on dua lalan handles and house/building panels. The last is a bit of a stretch, but the rows of patterns at the throat of your scabbard remind me of some of the stacked variations on penai scabbard feet, my example here is not the best but I think makes the point. However, I understand that these symbols are found across numerous cultural traditions but I do find the assortment reminiscent of a the Toraja stuff. What is missing is the strict geometric orientation with the symbols on your scabbard, the precise relative placement does seem to be a Toraja carving feature while yours seem somewhat haphazard outside of the throat.
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2023, 12:34 AM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Ah, got it on the notches. These come to mind from my collection first two are from dua lalan handles. Accepting the four lobes are backed by a diamond and have a central circle, I find similarity. Very common motif on dua lalan handles. Also, the interconnected spirals are similar to this other handle, numerous spirql variations exist on dua lalan handles and house/building panels. The last is a bit of a stretch, but the rows of patterns at the throat of your scabbard remind me of some of the stacked variations on penai scabbard feet, my example here is not the best but I think makes the point. However, I understand that these symbols are found across numerous cultural traditions but I do find the assortment reminiscent of a the Toraja stuff. What is missing is the strict geometric orientation with the symbols on your scabbard, the precise relative placement does seem to be a Toraja carving feature while yours seem somewhat haphazard outside of the throat.
Thank you Jeff,

After some search by your hint I remember that the four-leaved flower motive is many times found on dua lalan handles, on my own example as well. Thank you for this hint!
I asked also a friend from Sulawesi, living on Bali, he stated just before that the knife in question coming from Sumbawa.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 22nd December 2023, 12:04 PM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
I asked also a friend from Sulawesi, living on Bali, he stated just before that the knife in question coming from Sumbawa.
He stated that Sumbawa scabbards often show an inlay at the marked point such as a coin. But it's rather small with a diameter of 1 cm.

But obviously is there an inlay of some sort missing.
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2023, 12:11 PM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Yes, you are correct, the flower is very similar.
Attached Images