Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th April 2022, 05:48 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Rare Sword Shown in Cato's MORO SWORDS

For collectors of Moro blades and other blades from the Philippines, the Baltimore show was a "bonanza!" There was a large quantity of Filipino blades there, and some supremely RARE ones. I was fortunate enough to get one of the very rare ones, and one that was a previous part of Dave Schmiedt's renowned collection. I am sure this sword had a name among the Moros, but I am not sure what that name was. It is not a barung; it's too light, and the spine of the blade does not have the consistent curve of a barung. The wooden hilt is beautifully carved in a naga, or serpent, motif with silver eyes and inserts down its spine. The ferrule is like one typically seen on a barung. This sword is the same sword shown in Robert Cato's book, MORO SWORDS (Singapore, 1996). the sword had no scabbard, but I would have to imagine that it originally had a scabbard similar to a barung, with its ferrule neatly fitting into the center of the mouth of the scabbard. Overall length: 25in./63.5cm/ Blade length: 18.25in./46.36cm/ Blade's widest point: 2.5in./6.4cm
A pic of the sword in Mr. Cato's book is attached. He also does not name the sword.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 06:22 PM   #2
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
For collectors of Moro blades and other blades from the Philippines, the Baltimore show was a "bonanza!" There was a large quantity of Filipino blades there, and some supremely RARE ones. I was fortunate enough to get one of the very rare ones, and one that was a previous part of Dave Schmiedt's renowned collection. I am sure this sword had a name among the Moros, but I am not sure what that name was. It is not a barung; it's too light, and the spine of the blade does not have the consistent curve of a barung. The wooden hilt is beautifully carved in a naga, or serpent, motif with silver eyes and inserts down its spine. The ferrule is like one typically seen on a barung. This sword is the same sword shown in Robert Cato's book, MORO SWORDS (Singapore, 1996). the sword had no scabbard, but I would have to imagine that it originally had a scabbard similar to a barung, with its ferrule neatly fitting into the center of the mouth of the scabbard. Overall length: 25in./63.5cm/ Blade length: 18.25in./46.36cm/ Blade's widest point: 2.5in./6.4cm
A pic of the sword in Mr. Cato's book is attached. He also does not name the sword.
Hello, just curious if this sword has an upper edge near the tip. Thanks!
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 08:44 PM   #3
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Hello, just curious if this sword has an upper edge near the tip. Thanks!
No, it does not.
Old 5th April 2022, 09:32 PM   #4
drac2k

I think the name for your sword is "beautiful!" That is the second treasure I saw you pull out of Baltimore................... you and Ron need to give someone else a chance, LOL.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 11:05 PM   #5
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
I think the name for your sword is "beautiful!" That is the second treasure I saw you pull out of Baltimore................... you and Ron need to give someone else a chance, LOL.
Thank you so much! It was just a matter of sheer luck. We’ve been there so many years and found absolutely nothing. And this year it was like stuff was coming out of the woodwork. I feel very lucky, and I know Ron does too. Thanks for your kind comment.
Old 6th April 2022, 03:14 AM   #6
xasterix

There's a blade made by Sulu pandays nowadays that closely resembles yours. It has a much simpler hilt, it's definitely smaller size overall, but the blade profile is similar. The Tausug said it's used for utility purposes- in the farm, in the marketplace. I'm not familiar with the name, but I'm attaching the picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by xasterix; 6th April 2022 at 03:54 AM.
Old 13th April 2022, 04:41 PM   #7
Sajen

WOW!
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2023, 06:36 PM   #8
xasterix

Hello, reviving this thread, adding a similar sample with a shorter clip point. It was pretty banged up when i got it (loose ferrule, missing inserts, chipped and bent edge, etc) so I did my best to restore it. I didn't have bone replacements at the moment so I plugged in temporary inserts via dental grade resin. I reset the blade, but decided not to smoothen out the silver punto as a reminder of its story. The blade is 18in, overall length 27in, the spine is 0.80cm at the base. The upper clipped edge is sharp.

It was a nice surprise to find out that the hilt is carabao horn (not kamagong), I verified it by burn/smell test. Similar to Charles' sample, the blade is surprisingly light.
Attached Images

Last edited by xasterix; 14th October 2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 15th October 2023, 05:10 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Xas,

Lovely sword. You seem to be able to find some pretty nice stuff in Manila. I'm attaching a picture that was posted here many years ago and said to be taken in a Spanish Museum (I don't recall which one). The swords shown are pre-1900 (as you woud expect for a Spanish museum) and the one at bottom left has the same blade profile as your example. The hilt is a simple barung kakatua. All the other examples I've seen had the naga style of hilt, like yours.

I have an old "Swords of Moroland" plaque that suggests the name for this sword might be gayang.

Regards,

Ian.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2023, 11:15 AM   #10
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Xas,

Lovely sword. You seem to be able to find some pretty nice stuff in Manila. I'm attaching a picture that was posted here many years ago and said to be taken in a Spanish Museum (I don't recall which one). The swords shown are pre-1900 (as you woud expect for a Spanish museum) and the one at bottom left has the same blade profile as your example. The hilt is a simple barung kakatua. All the other examples I've seen had the naga style of hilt, like yours.

I have an old "Swords of Moroland" plaque that suggests the name for this sword might be gayang.

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks for the kind words Ian! I actually sourced this from US eBay- I chanced upon it with a "buy it now" option from an obscure seller. I believe he also sold an unknown blade with an ivory Naga hilt.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this before in the forum, but...one of the reasons why the Moroland plaques aren't dependable have to do with...they weren't made in Moroland at all. They were made mainly in Baguio and Manila, which are a loooong way from Moro territories. Early sellers targeted US personnel. and the plaques became popular bringback items. This is the main reason also why, here in the Philippines, the plaques are kept by Catholic families in Luzon, but curiously, never by Moro families down South. Given the plaque's origins, I won't trust it with the 'gayang' label.

Thanks for digging up that Spanish museum photo- the blade profile matches my sword very closely indeed!
Old 15th October 2023, 11:26 AM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Hello, reviving this thread, adding a similar sample with a shorter clip point. It was pretty banged up when i got it (loose ferrule, missing inserts, chipped and bent edge, etc) so I did my best to restore it. I didn't have bone replacements at the moment so I plugged in temporary inserts via dental grade resin. I reset the blade, but decided not to smoothen out the silver punto as a reminder of its story. The blade is 18in, overall length 27in, the spine is 0.80cm at the base. The upper clipped edge is sharp.

It was a nice surprise to find out that the hilt is carabao horn (not kamagong), I verified it by burn/smell test. Similar to Charles' sample, the blade is surprisingly light.
Congrats Xas, a very rare sword and a nicely done restoration!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2023, 04:08 PM   #12
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Congrats Xas, a very rare sword and a nicely done restoration!

Regards,
Detlef
Thanks very much Detlef
Old 15th October 2023, 04:16 PM   #13
JeffS

Quote:

Really nice. I like that you left it with some character. Surprised to hear the blade is light with that thick spine and long/wide blade. Does it handle like a barung?
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote