Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th May 2022, 01:02 AM   #1
Pitt1999

Default Southeast Asian knife Identification

Hello,

Today I bring, for your comments and consideration, a knife that I can only assume is from somewhere in the general Southeast Asian region. It was sold as being from the Philippines, but I have not seen any similar examples of knives like this from that area. The scabbard has a section broken off (and missing) and a crack near the tip. There is twisted brass wire forming a loop on one side and another pair of holes on the opposite side which probably had a similar arrangement. The blade is simple and without any major flaws, other than two small nicks in the edge. The blade starts off thick at the base and tapers towards the point. The ferrule, handle and scabbard all have simple carved decoration. The rattan binding looks similar to the binding found on Igorot/Ifugao/Bontoc knives. I am eager to see if any of you have any similar examples to share!

Thanks for looking,
Pitt
Attached Images

Last edited by Pitt1999; 12th May 2022 at 04:20 AM.
Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 12:30 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

The scabbard construction looks Ifugao Philippines.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 09:28 PM   #3
Pitt1999

Aren't their scabbards normally open on one side though?
Old 13th May 2022, 11:47 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

Yes they most often are but there is always variation, the back part is very Ifugao. It could possibly be from a hill tribe India/Burma.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2022, 12:17 AM   #5
Pitt1999

The only other feature that I can find a comparison to is the tip of the scabbard being similar in shape to the tip of a Naga/Kachin dao scabbard.
Old 14th May 2022, 09:49 PM   #6
Sajen

I would search in the direction of Burma, Arunachal Pradesh and so on, for sure not Ifugao IMVHO.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 02:58 AM   #7
Pitt1999

Thanks for the info and replies! The Arunachal Pradesh dao seem to be the most similar to my knife, with the exception of the scabbard construction and handle shape of my knife. While the blade shapes are similar, the origin of my knife still seems to be uncertain. I guess I'll have to wait for other examples of this type to pop up.
Old 27th May 2022, 07:09 PM   #8
RobT

Default Sheath & Blade Match?

Hi All,

Is everybody sure that the sheath and blade go together? To me, the knife is very slender and the sheath looks as if it was meant for a wider blade (especially from what I can see of the throat). I know that the design on the hilt sort of matches the one at the tip of the sheath but its a rather generic design that may be commonly found on many objects from a particular group (or on many objects of a number of related groups). Also, I know that the sheath wood is very often different from the hilt but in this case, to my eye, the color difference appears to be jarring.

Sincerely,
Robt
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote