Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd August 2020, 10:20 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default OLD BARUNG 2

Hi friends,

sharing an old warrior:

1) tausug?

2) the laminations on the blade- is this indicative of a twist-core metal?

3) a datu-class barung?

4) probable era/age?

enjoy,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:14 PM   #2
kai

Hello Yves,

Thanks for sharing!

The blade exhibits the typical laminations from repeatedly forging the steel - this pattern is usually described as "unplanned" (definitely not twistcore pattern which needs a highly controlled forging process).

The ferrule (next to the blade) seems to be crafted from brass?

I'd place this ensemble before WW2, possibly from the earlier part of the first half of the 20th c. The blade could well be older!

I'm not really confident in ethnically placing these more modern styles and their respective status - certainly looks like a nice piece to wear though...

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 23rd August 2020 at 09:28 PM.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Yves:

You just keep trotting these out!

The blade is a nice pattern welded piece. It is a typical Sulu shape and may date from the early 20th C, although I think it is probably 1930s or WWII vintage. The hilt is post-1930 and the scabbard with its medial ridge is probably WWII or later.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 09:51 AM   #4
tanaruz

Default old barung 2

Hello,

My grandfather was with the USAFFE during WW2. And his last post was in Mindanao.

he started collecting blades right after the war ended (moro and japanese). some of these blades were given to him as gifts from friends and grateful individuals whom he helped during the war. Some as mementos from the war.

since we stayed in zamboanga city, there were a lot of locals selling and 'pawning' these blades (more often ended eventually in selling them.

when he passed on, I continued his passion (which became mine too). And I have expanded my interest on lumad blades. Assigned in mindanao as a medical rep - I was able to collect additional beautiful pieces. It was 2 years ago that I have started collecting Northern Luzon and Visayan blades.

There are over 250+ blades now in the collection.

My plan is do make a coffee table book to share a father and son passion for collecting- and sharing it to those who passionately love blades.

Most of the collection is now in our family gallery in zamboanga city - which I plan, hopefully, to open its doors on people who would be passionately in love with blades.

The collection also features ethnic artifacts from luzon to mindanao.

kind regards,

Yves
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote